Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

JojoCatMama

Lairian
Hi everyone... bad news. Today Merlin vomited up his food for the 3rd time today. His previous vomit was last night, then the first was day before.

Needless to say we are taking him to the vet as soon as they open to make sure it’s not an obstruction.

Prayers please!!
F508E65A-8E1C-42DB-B6EB-0047C43EC020.jpeg

JojoCatMama

Lairian
We just talked to the vet and he is getting x-rayed now. It also turned out he needs a dental cleaning and possibly ear treatment.

But the worst part is it turns out he has a heart murmur.... he could have HCM. I’m a bit devastated right now. We will have schedule a cardiologist appointment for him soon.

JojoCatMama

Lairian
Did they find an obstruction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The vet is fairly confident there is a partial obstruction of cloth/fabric. To be sure, Merlin’s been given beryllium to see if that flushes it out, and also to help the obstruction show up on his x-rays tomorrow if it doesn’t leave his body.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Update: Took him to the vet this morning and Merlin does indeed have a blockage. The vet needs to operate. The risk is that his heart murmur might cause him to have an adverse reaction to the anesthesia (the vet knows “no ketamine”).

It’s a risk we have to take.

I’m praying for you and Merlin. And the vet.

JojoCatMama

Lairian
Thanks everyone for your prayers and encouragement! The surgery went well. Merlin is now checked in to the emergency vet for his overnight recovery stay. (He’s currently swaddled in a blanket and getting attention from all the vet techs).

It turns out he swallowed the knot of plastic on the end of a FULL bag of soiled litter. From the litter genie. What?! Merlin has never eaten plastic before... cloth and wires and cardboard, yes, but never plastic.

Anyway. Still reeling from the crazy emotions but SO HAPPY Merlin is recovering.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just the update I was hoping for. YAY Merlin....glad he did well with the surgery. Happy healing vibes are set. Purr one brat baby girl loves plastic bags...she is so fast we are so careful...one more thing to add to your daily list of things to look out for lol. Sleep well tonight, your baby is in good hands. Will Merlin probably come home tomorrow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thanks everyone for your prayers and encouragement! The surgery went well. Merlin is now checked in to the emergency vet for his overnight recovery stay. (He’s currently swaddled in a blanket and getting attention from all the vet techs).

It turns out he swallowed the knot of plastic on the end of a FULL bag of soiled litter. From the litter genie. What?! Merlin has never eaten plastic before... cloth and wires and cardboard, yes, but never plastic.

Anyway. Still reeling from the crazy emotions but SO HAPPY Merlin is recovering.

So so so glad he did so well. What a strange thing for him to choose to eat! You are such a great pet parent for recognizing the problem and getting him to the vet so fast.

JojoCatMama

Lairian
So so so glad he did so well. What a strange thing for him to choose to eat! You are such a great pet parent for recognizing the problem and getting him to the vet so fast.

Yes after he vomited the third time I knew he had to go in ASAP. I’m so glad he’s ok and I’m hoping the heart murmur is just from the stress of the blockage and will go away on it’s own.

Back