Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Micro-chipping??

JessLynn

Lairian
I was wondering if anyone has had their Sphynx micro chipped? If so, what are the pros and cons if any? I have been thinking about getting Belza chipped but wanted to know more about it.

holly_savage

Banned
I recently had the same questions and a lot of good answers and info came from it. Hibou is chipped now. Yes you can see / feel it if you are looking for it. My vet made sure to put it high up between the shoulder blades...almost above them in fact and it hasn't moved. The process was a little painful...for Hibou, me and the vet! AFter all the blood shed (Hibou was not impressed to say the least) the vet finally decided to sedate her a little. It was super easy after that. Ithink because it is visible the vet was concerned about the placement and it took about 4 times (punctures) to get it done...poor kitty. I left bleeding and the vet was still bleeding too where she raked him...lol. He deserved it a little! But she healed very quickly and you can just make out where the scars are (only because of her darker coloring I think).
I am happy with the end result and the peace of mind for me is well worth it. Our new kitten will be chipped too.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I dont know if you can do a search but basically I posted that as a vet tech for 13 years I never had a prob with micro chips. Some companies claim that non textured chips can travel to other areas around the body, but Ive never seen it happen. All my pets have had chips, no probs and it gives a sense of having some control if a pet goes missing.
My stepmom just got a sphynx at the spca last month. It was microchipped and found as a stray, about 5 yrs old, but the chip was still registered with the breeder and not the new owner. Sounds like someone's loss could have been prevented! Now that she is the new owner she just called up and had her contact info put in.
Nofuratu's chip is visible but its the size of a grain of rice and you dont notice unless you are looking for it. Rubbing it or touching it doesnt bother him.
I definetely reccomend chipping, and do it during a spay or neuter if possible, its easier on the cat and the vet staff. Its a wide needle...

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mos breeder is able to microchip, so I was very lucky in that he came 'ready chipped' as a kitten! It looked huge in between his shoulders when I first got him, like a jelly bean, coz he was so tiny! But I can't always see it or feel it now, we sometimes joke it may have gone somewhere else - like his brain LOL!!! (Would explain a few things!)

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I dont know if you can do a search but basically I posted that as a vet tech for 13 years I never had a prob with micro chips. Some companies claim that non textured chips can travel to other areas around the body, but Ive never seen it happen. All my pets have had chips, no probs and it gives a sense of having some control if a pet goes missing.
My stepmom just got a sphynx at the spca last month. It was microchipped and found as a stray, about 5 yrs old, but the chip was still registered with the breeder and not the new owner. Sounds like someone's loss could have been prevented! Now that she is the new owner she just called up and had her contact info put in.
Nofuratu's chip is visible but its the size of a grain of rice and you dont notice unless you are looking for it. Rubbing it or touching it doesnt bother him.
I definetely reccomend chipping, and do it during a spay or neuter if possible, its easier on the cat and the vet staff. Its a wide needle...

Yes the needle is HUGE!!!! Isn't it! Not a job I'd like to do! :Surprise:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not scared of huge needles.
I use a huge needle to do Cocos fluids.
I made a mistake the other day and got blood all over me from Coco.
I never asked whose name Polars chip is in.
He was chipped before I got him.

JessLynn

Lairian
But I can't always see it or feel it now, we sometimes joke it may have gone somewhere else - like his brain LOL!!! (Would explain a few things!)

:LOL: Haha that's too funny!

Okay thank you for the advice everyone I will keep it in mind. I am probably going to have it done for peace of mind incase she every decided to get out.. I don't know what I would do :Sweat: I'm just worried about the huge needle! I will have to call her vet and figure out what to do. It would have been nice if she were already chipped! I think that's very nice of the breeder to do for their kitties.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I never asked whose name Polars chip is in.
He was chipped before I got him.

Definetely call the microchip company with your pets id # and make sure your new information is in their system...
I was shocked to hear that a sphynx with a microchip was at the spca with no recent info on the owner.....and he must have been miles from his owner because there were no locals looking for a missing sphynx!
So having a chip is great but you want to be sure YOUR correct phone and address email etc is registered with the company. Lots of people move and forget to update that info!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have the tag with his number but never asked the breeder whose name it is in.
I do not like to ask a bunch of questions.
The company is in canada and they said they can not give the info out.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have the tag with his number but never asked the breeder whose name it is in.
I do not like to ask a bunch of questions.
The company is in canada and they said they can not give the info out.

It sounds like you are going to have ask the breeder to change the contact information with the company.

Once microchipping became affordable and accessible, I had my pets microchipped. It was mostly for my peace of mind in case any of them got taken or lost.

Last edited:

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes the needle is HUGE!!!! Isn't it! Not a job I'd like to do! :Surprise:

Hi! The needle is a 14 gauge needle, I believe, which is 2 sizes up from the ones I place as IV's in people, so it is rather big, but the animals really do tolerate it well. It is a good idea to do it at the time of neutering - less stress on the kitty! We use a freezing spray on men that we place an implanted medication for prostate cancer - it is about the same size as the microchip, & we inject it in the belly. I guess you could request that the vet numb the area first(?).

Back