Microchip Warning - BE AWARE | Sphynxlair

Microchip Warning - BE AWARE

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Luvmysphynx, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Luvmysphynx

LuvmysphynxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    This is an e-mail to Home Again from one of my adopters that I just placed an Afghan Hound with. I'm the one who personally had this dog microchipped, but never thought to have my regular vet scan for the microchip after the spay/neuter center inserted it when I had him neutered, which I generally do as it's a big needle, and with my sighthounds with so little body fat, I generally always wait until they have to be put under for something else before microchipping them to minimize the pain and discomfort from the procedure.

Anyway, I know many on this board have microchipped their cats and/or other pets - Make it a practice to have your vet scan them whenever you take them in, if I'd done that I would have known the problem before placing the dog and gotten it taken care of, now I have a dog that's placed almost 350 miles away from where I live, with a microchip that won't be picked up by the scanners most shelters and vets use - So basically, it's worthless!

I trust the home that has Ice now, I don't anticipate a problem with him getting loose, BUT he is a big afghan who's got a tendancy to bolt, and you never know, tags get lost, broken off, or removed, and if that where to happen I just pray someone would find a way to get Ice back to us! We're going to have him re-microchipped with a US standard chip regardless, but I'll probably end up re-imbursing the foster home not only the fee for the new microchip, but for the $45 x-ray we did to insure there was a chip as well. ALWAYS ask if an ISO chip is going to be used, if the vet says yes, take your animals elsewhere for the microchip! If I'd known, it would have saved us alot of headache right now!

2. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
    Wow. Very interesting. I worked for a vet many, many years ago when tattooing was still the standard ID practice and microchipping was a fairly new concept. I always wondered if there would be a problem identifying the chips from one brand to the next (for example, could an Avid scanner detect a Home Again chip) I would think that 15 years later, they'd have a solution.

That was always my concern with my dog, what if he got out and the vet or shelter that (hopefully) scanned him didn't have the proper scanner to detect the chip he had?? It's still not standard practice - at any of the vets I've gone to - for them to scan new patients. I always asked them to do it, just to make sure the chip hadn't moved. I'm sure there are tons of stories of pets being reunited because of the chip, but I wonder just how many are sitting in shelters with this very problem.

Please keep us posted on how they handle the case.

3. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +287
    This is precisely why I use Banfield. I have all of my pets done through them because they use the old and the new megahertz microchips (and recently upgraded this into ONE chip instead of two...those are BIG needles to have to be stuck with TWICE). I want to be 110% certain that they're found no matter who finds them or where they are.

Thanks for posting this. Makes me feel a million times happier about my choice and the recommendations I've made to others.

To put some light on the situation, they're working on puting universal scanners (that read ALL manufactured megahertz microchips) in every shelter and vet office. It's free, but you have to ask for one. As soon as I find that number, I'll post it.

ETA: Banfield carries the Universal scanners in their offices. It's not manufactured by Banfield, it's actually another company. Banfield does NOT have a scanner that reads ONLY their microchips--I wanted to clarify.

4. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
    Please do, I'll definitely forward it on to my vet!

5. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +287
    I'll have to grab the number tomorrow when I'm at work. I'll post it as soon as I can.

6. Luvmysphynx

LuvmysphynxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, please do! I'll pass the information on to all the vets, shelters, and rescues in the area that I know just have the standard scanners that read all the US standard chips!!!

7. sydkat7

sydkat7V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $476.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    PittRottMommy, I've taken my cats to Banfield to get microchipped for the very same reasons you mentioned. I feel a little more secure knowing that my cats can be identified if lost no matter what scanner is used.

8. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $371.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    Holy cow I didn't even know there were different chips. I thought it was all one company :ThumbsDown: Guess I'm glad my vet is Banfield :) When Meecho goes for her teeth cleaning and is sedated she gets hers and Suki my puppy is getting hers when she goes for her snip snip :Smile:

9. RuthArt

RuthArtLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $705.39
    Ratings:
    +15
    wow, I'm not sure what chip I have for my dog.....I got the Home Again tag, but it seems like the Avid scanner could read it. I'll have to check with my Vet and make sure. Thanks for the heads up.