Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Microchips

holly_savage

Banned
Do any of you have your Sphynx babies microchipped? And if so can you see or feel it? Especially interested in knowing how it affects you / your cat at a cat show!

We want to do it...because I would hate for her to get loose outside and not be chipped, but I don't want it to affect her "show quality" if she has any! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Give me your insight...please!:BigSmile:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been wanting to know about this too because I have thought about doing it too! They are expensive heaven forbid they get lost or stolen!

But I do plan on showing Casper too.. So glad you asked this!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Great questions. I don't have Snuffie chipped yet - was sort of wondering the same thing since I'm also considering showing.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Polar Bare is micro chipped and yes you can feel the chip.
Do not worry about the judges saying anything.
No one said a word when I showed Polar Bare.
My other cats are not chipped.
Polar Bare was chipped before I got him.
The complany is 24 hour pet watch.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
In a Sphynx kitten, oftentime, you can locate the microchip pretty easily and feel it through their skin- in an adult, it is much less noticeable.

I cannot imagine it affecting your kitten's ability to be shown- AT ALL. It's only really noticeable if you are looking for it and if the judge did notice it, I am sure they have seen microchips/felt them before.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is in Polars back and there is no scar at all and he is white.
I do not microchip my cats because they can cause cancer also.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah, they still insert them in the neck- although some brands are known to migrate down to the shoulder and other places. I cannot imagine the judge discounting a cat in the ring over a tiny microchip scar- after all, these are hairless cats- you can only do so much about occasional (small) scars.

holly_savage

Banned
Thanks, guys...I knew you'd have the answers! I think after reading this we will get her chipped. It's only $45 to get it done...mind you if ever she was found by someone around here...I am the only person in the area that owns one!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have seen bad reactions from them; ironically when I did the spring cleaning a week ago.... I guess I didn't put the screen back in all the way & it moved with the wind & was completely away from the window... in the boys room non the less! Of course I freaked when I seen it & they were just sitting there looking out the window not going near the opening. When they were little anytime they would try to sneak out the door we would squirt them & made sure they knew it was NOT ok...I guess it worked! We can leave the doors open & they won't go past the threshold!:BigSmile:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have seen bad reactions from them; ironically when I did the spring cleaning a week ago.... I guess I didn't put the screen back in all the way & it moved with the wind & was completely away from the window... in the boys room non the less! Of course I freaked when I seen it & they were just sitting there looking out the window not going near the opening. When they were little anytime they would try to sneak out the door we would squirt them & made sure they knew it was NOT ok...I guess it worked! We can leave the doors open & they won't go past the threshold!:BigSmile:

Wow you trained them well!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In defence of microchips, I worked in vet medicine for 13 yrs and never encountered a bad reaction, or cancer from microchips. All my pets are chipped during their spay/neuter and I reccomend it. Not to discount what others are saying about experiencing problems with chips, just want to throw my two cents in!

As for chip migration, where it moves to another place in the body, a lot of microchip companies make textured microchips that do not move. Ive used different brands of chips though and never seen one move.

Nofuratu has a chip and it shows when he stretches like a little grain of rice, but most people dont notice. Its never caused a problem in showing. It Canadian cat shows, scars and the like can NOT be counted against the sphynx breed.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mug-Y was chipped as a kitten apparently and I can't tell where it is or see any scarring 8 years on...I know it's there though as I got the vet to check when we got him.

X

ckutkuhn7

Banned
In defence of microchips, I worked in vet medicine for 13 yrs and never encountered a bad reaction, or cancer from microchips. All my pets are chipped during their spay/neuter and I reccomend it. Not to discount what others are saying about experiencing problems with chips, just want to throw my two cents in!

As for chip migration, where it moves to another place in the body, a lot of microchip companies make textured microchips that do not move. Ive used different brands of chips though and never seen one move.

Nofuratu has a chip and it shows when he stretches like a little grain of rice, but most people dont notice. Its never caused a problem in showing. It Canadian cat shows, scars and the like can NOT be counted against the sphynx breed.

Good to know - Thanks!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Heh- I have seen multiple chips migrate. In fact, one of my Sphynxes chip migrated down towards her shoulder blade. Doesn't bother nor worry me- I know that AC usually will scan multiple spots to ensure a chip isn't present.

AND I've had ONE microchip reaction- kitten got a HUGE bump on the injection site, but it went down on its own :)

I am completely pro-microchip.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
(And I'm not sure which brand it is that has migrated on my Sphynx- I can't remember- I know one was known for migrating for a while...)

Shauntay

Banned
All of my purebred pets are microchipped. I cant feel it at all in Berlin, sometimes they migrate, nor in my other sphynx tho. I can feel it in my great dane tho, and my rabbit. Its very very small tho, like a grain of rice. A shihtzu I groom has been chipped and he developed some heavy scar tissue around the chip so he has a rather large bump there.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
IMO, the pros outweigh the cons. Did anyone see the yahoo article about the cat who was found 1300 miles from home, she ended up at a shelter scheduled to be put down, but they scanned her first and found her owner through her chip! I say it's worth a little bump!

Shauntay

Banned
I agree, although if Mews2Much could post some articles about chips causing cancer, Id really like to read them. My vet told me the only real danger was rejection which was extremely rare. Many times people have come in to our salon with lost dogs, wondering if we can identify them, and if we cant we always advise them to pass by the vet and have their backs scanned, and cross their fingers they have been chipped. And countless times we have been called by the owners who have been reunited with their dogs that way thanking us.

Back