Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Milo the malnourished kitten updates

Ebby

Lairian
I figured I’d post a new thread so people can easily follow along with his progress of health and weight gain.
He has gone from 2lbs last Sunday to 2lbs 9oz today,he’s still on antibiotics for his URI but his eyes are now clear and he barely sneezes.
He loves to play now and no longer spends all day sleeping, he is still throwing tantrums when the dogs go outside and he can’t. Our Lab loves him like he’s the best thing she’s ever seen.
He also loves chasing our 6yr old male cat around the house but we keep him away from our female cat 6-8yrs old because she hates him

Attachments

• 16FF75FB-9354-41B5-99F3-D062F105F04A.jpeg
    16FF75FB-9354-41B5-99F3-D062F105F04A.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 81
  • B371E334-2228-4E09-B657-3185D1F1389B.jpeg
    B371E334-2228-4E09-B657-3185D1F1389B.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 65
  • BFB89386-04D3-47D2-A106-11A17D4A8589.jpeg
    BFB89386-04D3-47D2-A106-11A17D4A8589.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 74

Sheldon13

Staff member
Lol now I see he eats kibble just fine

I’m so happy he’s making progress. That’s a great weight gain in a short time!

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
Love these photos and so glad to hear that he’s on the mend. Looks like he’s surrounded by love.

Ebby

Lairian
So love the photo of Milo and his dog buddy. He will never need a bath with a buddy like that;-).
I’m always telling her “your licking off his coconut oil stop!” She’s usually a pretty good listener but she’s so obsessed with him, she’s been the baby of the family for a year, our other dog ignores her and the cats usually do too so she excited to find someone with 4 legs that enjoys her company.

Ebby

Lairian
Today my scale said he was 2lbs 15oz, is it really possible for a kitten to gain 2oz a day? Or maybe my scale is junky, he goes back to the vet in two weeks so we’ll know for sure then, You can’t really see his ribs anymore, I’m assuming a decent amount was water weight because he was extremely badly dehydrated. I’m hoping the fuzz he’s missing starts growing back.

Attachments

• 81FEC9B5-858F-4209-8CE0-1CEBFDFDA7DD.jpeg
    81FEC9B5-858F-4209-8CE0-1CEBFDFDA7DD.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 69
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    10.7 MB · Views: 2

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
So glad to see he’s starting to feel better and is eating and drinking well. Thank you for the updates! I look forward to seeing him fully recovered one day soon :)

Sheldon13

Staff member

He already looks sooo much better!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Ebby
It's entirely possible for a kitten to gain 1 lb in 1 week. With Milo even more so because he's having to catch up. But - there is a but - healthy weight gain is neither too slow nor too fast.

Healthy weight gain means developing lean muscle mass, which to get that you would eat more protein. So with a kitten, the idea is feed more canned food and less kibble because canned food is higher in protein.

I'm not saying you should be worried at this point. He is not too fat. But I would keep a journal of how much he weighs at least every other day. Because 1 lb in 1 week is OK, but 1 lb every week for many weeks is going to become excessive. Keeping a journal will help you keep track. You can also show it to your vet.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ebby , hugs n head smooches adorable Team Milo... certainly thriving with your hearts, home and care. keep the good news adorable updates coming. {=

Ebby

Lairian
@Ebby
It's entirely possible for a kitten to gain 1 lb in 1 week. With Milo even more so because he's having to catch up. But - there is a but - healthy weight gain is neither too slow nor too fast.

Healthy weight gain means developing lean muscle mass, which to get that you would eat more protein. So with a kitten, the idea is feed more canned food and less kibble because canned food is higher in protein.

I'm not saying you should be worried at this point. He is not too fat. But I would keep a journal of how much he weighs at least every other day. Because 1 lb in 1 week is OK, but 1 lb every week for many weeks is going to become excessive. Keeping a journal will help you keep track. You can also show it to your vet.
Right now he’s getting kibble freely and about 1/3 can of wet food a day mixed with a tablespoon of kitten formula and a little fish oil, our other cats do not get to eat freely they get fed 2x a day so they’re a bit jealous. He definitely needs more muscles!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Right now he’s getting kibble freely and about 1/3 can of wet food a day mixed with a tablespoon of kitten formula and a little fish oil, our other cats do not get to eat freely they get fed 2x a day so they’re a bit jealous. He definitely needs more muscles!
Gotcha. It's not normally a problem to free feed a kitten. I'm just a tad bit concerned because it's hard to put on good weight fast. A normal kitten eats but also runs around and can't help but develop muscle mass as he fills out. Milo has to catch up not just on weight but on building that muscle mass; it doesn't happen overnight. That's why I was suggesting a diet that's high in protein. Kibble has more carbs; that's just part of what makes kibble what it is.

Anyway, if you wanted him to eat more canned food, you could offer it to him several times a day but take the kibble away so he has to eat the canned food. The more the better. Try this at least during the day; overnight you can still leave kibble out if you want to.

Ebby

Lairian
So today he is at 3lbs 1oz, he’s still sneezing but not as much and his snot is clear and not green but I honestly thought that would have been cleared up by now, his skin also doesn’t seem to be getting any better but he’s on antibiotics for that too so idk :/ I’ll attach a picture of him from today.

Attachments

• 17107880-A2DF-4242-8B69-6E32195889D3.jpeg
    17107880-A2DF-4242-8B69-6E32195889D3.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 59

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Antibiotics take a few days to start working. But did the vet do a culture and sensitivity analysis to make sure this antibiotic that he prescribed is the right one? That might need to be done.

The good thing is he's gaining weight and he already has a vet appt in a couple of weeks so I would stay the course for now. However, if his skin gets worse then scrap that and ask your vet's office to move up the appt.

Ebby

Lairian
Antibiotics take a few days to start working. But did the vet do a culture and sensitivity analysis to make sure this antibiotic that he prescribed is the right one? That might need to be done.

The good thing is he's gaining weight and he already has a vet appt in a couple of weeks so I would stay the course for now. However, if his skin gets worse then scrap that and ask your vet's office to move up the appt.
No he didn’t check cultures or sensitivity, him and multiple of his staff actually own sphynx cats too so I’ll ask him about it at the next visit or request to come in sooner if Milo gets worse.

Sheldon13

Staff member
So today he is at 3lbs 1oz, he’s still sneezing but not as much and his snot is clear and not green but I honestly thought that would have been cleared up by now, his skin also doesn’t seem to be getting any better but he’s on antibiotics for that too so idk :/ I’ll attach a picture of him from today.

That actually looks a lot like ringworm....

Ask your vet for an anti fungal shampoo.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Gosh this poor kitten. This whole thing is just fully pissing me off.