Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Min Has Nightmares (serious thread) – anyone with experience or comments?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi everyone,

I know I don't know everyone here as I have been absent for a while, but I am waving hello and smiling at you too.

Max and Min are half siblings, born almost a year apart, and acquired almost a year apart. Max will be 4 this year and Min will be 3 this year. Apart from sucking his tail, I would say that Max is fairly normal for a Sphynx. Min, on the other hand, has been fraught with issues from day one. She likes to chew and even masticate certain fabrics, which we have never really been able to stop. We tried all sorts of medications, including CBD oil, all to no avail. As long as we keep her in chew toys, it's not too too bad. But whenever the temptation of her favorite fabric is around, it will die.

The reason I gave the above back story is that I think it might have some relation to another 1 of Min's issues. She actually suffers from pretty severe nightmares. She has them daily. At 1st I thought they were just very vivid dreams, but then I noticed that she would suddenly wake up screaming, crying, and/or attacking anything nearby (usually Max).

As I have been a lifelong sufferer of night terrors (somewhat different from nightmares), I see the same with Min. She and Max spend the late morning and early afternoon sleeping in the pod bed next to my desk. At least once she will wake up suddenly, and just start attacking Max. I slide my hand between them (she usually has her jaws at Max's throat) and start soothing Min. This calms her right down. Then Max proceeds to cuddle and lick Min to soothe her as well.

Last night in bed Min had an epic night terror, and Max spent considerable time cuddling and grooming her. Usually hubby wakes up when Min has a bad dream and he soothes her. I sleep very deeply, so it takes a lot to wake me up. But last night she did wake me up. So I soothed her as well. But Max did the majority.

While I am drawing on my own experiences in trying to understand what is going on with Min, I wanted to know if anyone else has experience with a Sphynx that suffers from daily nightmares or night terrors.

To my knowledge, nothing bad has ever happened to Min. She is extraordinarily affectionate, and very much loved by Max, hubby, and myself.

My own night terrors always have the exact same theme – someone or some group is trying to harm my loved ones, and I am doing everything in my power to stop them. Like Min, I have never experienced any trauma, and I can only think that my night terrors are just an extension of my own personality and desire to always help. As a result, I can only imagine something similar for Min.

But again, I welcome any discussion on this subject. I wish there was something I could do for her, beyond what we are already doing.

Thank you.

Max & Min
webIMG_0593.png

Last edited:

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I’ll say a prayer for the little dear. My sister had a dog that had nightmares and had not been through trauma. I don’t know if we can ever really prevent it in some animals/people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
A few times Max hasn't been sleeping next to Min when she's had her morning nightmare. I touch and stroke her then she climbs out of her bed and cuddles me for a few minutes before going back to sleep.

I really wish it was something I could prevent, but alas, I don't think there is anything. Much like my own.

And... just because...

maximillian_von_strange_27576224_150921808926522_223957363093143552_n.jpg

maximillian_von_strange_27890715_354956111649677_4650752289332527104_n.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Xandria, awhhh ((hugs)))
I have no experience with this , wanted to share big hugs and head smooches

What are the vet's thoughts ?
Does she have any body movementd like paddling of feet ?

Lynn W

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've never deal with this in any of my critters. I had night terrors when I was a little kid, but never figured out what caused them. I wish I knew of something that would help poor little Min.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Don't know how I could have missed this thread when you first posted it!

Poor little Min for having nightmares (and same for you having nightmares). And lucky Min to have you, her daddy and Max to sooth her.

I think you're right, you can't do anything to prevent it. You can only be there when she has a nightmare.

Does she still have the nightmares daily?

Toa sents her lots of hugs. He knows for sure Min can out beat any creepy creature in the nightmares. He says he has the mission to make sure he shows up in the nightmare to stand by Min's side to help her chase away the bad guys.

Hugs for you both

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, hugs to both of you for suffering with nightmares! I've got a brother who has a dog that often during dreams rolls of the bed. He's a nervous Nellie but the kindest dog ever. Never had anything bad happen and had a good childhood.
Maybe little Min was supposed to be yours so you can sooth each other? You understand her best and she understands you. But if you consult a vet about this I would love to hear what they say. Take care of each other!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Xandria, awhhh ((hugs)))
I have no experience with this , wanted to share big hugs and head smooches

What are the vet's thoughts ?
Does she have any body movementd like paddling of feet ?
Thank you. No, she doesn't move. She just whines, cries, and sometimes screams. It's a bit alarming, but... well... it just is. The vet has no idea, sadly.

I've never deal with this in any of my critters. I had night terrors when I was a little kid, but never figured out what caused them. I wish I knew of something that would help poor little Min.
Thank you for your kind words. Night terrors are horrible, and I'm glad you outgrew them. I know mine are related to stress. They vanished for a long time after I got Max but recently I've been back down that horrid well.

Don't know how I could have missed this thread when you first posted it!

Poor little Min for having nightmares (and same for you having nightmares). And lucky Min to have you, her daddy and Max to sooth her.

I think you're right, you can't do anything to prevent it. You can only be there when she has a nightmare.

Does she still have the nightmares daily?

Toa sents her lots of hugs. He knows for sure Min can out beat any creepy creature in the nightmares. He says he has the mission to make sure he shows up in the nightmare to stand by Min's side to help her chase away the bad guys.

Hugs for you both
Yes, she still has nightmares daily. Like clockwork. The first is late morning (usually she's sleeping next to Max although sometimes it's when we cuddle on the couch in very early morning). Usually no more until bed time and then she can have a few. That's when Hubby and Max soothe her.

Toa's hugs and well wishes mean a lot to her. She thinks maybe if she and Toa sleep together side by side her nightmares may go away. Until then, she hopes to see Toa in her dreams -- good and bad.

Oh, hugs to both of you for suffering with nightmares! I've got a brother who has a dog that often during dreams rolls of the bed. He's a nervous Nellie but the kindest dog ever. Never had anything bad happen and had a good childhood.
Maybe little Min was supposed to be yours so you can sooth each other? You understand her best and she understands you. But if you consult a vet about this I would love to hear what they say. Take care of each other!
It is odd and curious how people and animals who've never endured trauma can have such vivid nightmares and night terrors.

Yeah, I think you're right... Min is in good company in our household as Max seems to instinctively understand and Hubby and I know all about bad dreams. We do take care of each other.

Hugs, everyone!!!

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I wonder if these happen around the same time every day if you go pick her up fifteen minutes (give or take) before they happen. I know you don't know exactly when they happen but if you are home anyway, just go wake her up. Just one thought. Poor little thing.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Annejo12 -- It's not exactly the same time. I could log it for a while and see if there's a pattern. Otherwise she's just a happy little affectionate girl who loves to play play play.

@Xandria

I do not have any experience with Chilly having night terrors, but I can relate personally.
I’m curious if this may be something neurological for Min. I’m sure you’ve already thought about this and discussed this when she went to the vet, and I’m sure this would be very hard to diagnose and/or treat. My apologies if my thoughts are totally way out in left field; you’re one of the best Sphynx Mama’s I know! You know your littles very well. I’m happy that she finds comfort when the family loves her through her episodes.

Jenn & Chilly

TheZu

Lairian
I was watching an episode of "My Cat From Hell" and one of the cats had night terrors also. They ended up giving the cat melatonin and it stopped all the night terrors.

I don't know if it would work or if you had tried it yet, but melatonin might help.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am glad she has you guys for her family... we half joke that if we hadn't picked Molly, she probably would have had 6 homes by now. I like to say she is a "lemon".

I know you guys explored psych meds for the fabric eating... are there other typea of psych meds that she could try?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Chilly Willy -- Yes, I have been thinking the same. To be honest, hubby and I feel that Min has some sort of kitty autism. She definitely has some neurological issues. On the one hand, we accept her totally for all that she is, but I know firsthand how distressing nightmares can be, and it pains me to see her going through them.

@TheZu – I really like the idea of melatonin. I have just sent our vet a query about it. There is an over-the-counter melatonin product for cats, but it contains cod liver oil, which is actually not good for cats. I would rather it be administered or prescribed by our vet. This may actually help her chewing episodes as well. Who knows. Thanks.

@MollysMom – LOL. Yes, little Minschief Is definitely a "lemon". We say that she is "special". But we love her with all our heart and soul. I think I would like to try the melatonin thing and see if that works. We almost consulted with a professional animal behaviorist, but I honestly don't think her chewing is a behavioral issue so much as it is neurological. And when someone has neurological issues, I don't feel that a behaviorist is going to help much – if we could communicate with her, then possibly.

Thank you, everyone. You guys are amazing.

And… just because...

zIMG_1997.JPG

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can totally say that Min is in the right home! Love her like crazy and hug her from me too!

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't have any advice on the nightmares. Just wanted to say I'm sorry that it's happening. You 2 kitties are just so adorable! Hugs.