Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Mistoffelees first week!

TheZu

Lairian
Shes using her litter box!!! A combination of peoples advices seemed to do the trick actually... some of the pee spots she picked seemed just random but one spot she kept going to consistently (fortunately its tile there so easy to clean). I tried putting her litter box there AND I got her litter to absorb some of the pee pellets and put that in the box...low and behold immediately after that she went and pooped in it!!! I then saved some of the poop and put it in the other box...with more pellets and she used it too!!! Shes hasn't peed in a box yet but I'm confident she'll pee in the one I moved to the pee spot .

Things I noticed... she doesn't like her covered litte box but she does seem to like privacy. Her pee spot is around the counter so you can't see her. So I think she likes her privacy but the covered litter box is very deep and I think she doesn't like being in it because of that. My conclusion....she likes shallow litter trays soshe can see over ththr sides but also her privacy. Unfortunately the pee spot she picked is really inconvenient. Its right next to the oven in front of the sink. We think if we leave it there until she uses it consistently we might be able to slowly move it across the room... a sort of "inch by inch" strategy so she doesn't notice.

In other news, she's coming out of her shell , and sleeping through the night! She walks adou d with more confidence, doesn't tuck her tail between her legs so much. She has a few favourite spots and toys. She loves attention but hates being picked up and in your lap. But, if shes really cuddly and tired she'll sit in your lap just fine (wont come on her own to your lap but won't leave when stroked). She's also voluntarily coming up to me more, and has even started rubbing up again me. She also talks a lot, wants you to notice her and pay attention. Eats well also :)

I have a feeling shes going to be a cuddle bug. We aren't going to force her on us and take it slow... but once she really builds her confidence I think shes going to just be jumping next to us. Seriously, sometimes just me touching her with a finger gets her purring before I even began petting and it's rolling over, stretching.
20180714_093404.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TheZu Great update!
As for cuddling - have you tried a warm blanket from the dryer on your lap and a few treats on it :)

She is precious! Head smooches sent !

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yay! Happy to hear she used the litterbox. It's great you're so patient and give her the time she needs. You'll see that in a few weeks she'll be feeling at home completly and will jump on your lap just...when you need to pee;-).

Love the pic of her, she's a beauty

TheZu

Lairian
Day Five:
Missy is now seeking us out, and has started walking into our laps. Shes a cuddle bug for sure, not always a "lap" cuddler, but loves to be next to us and touching us in some way. Shes more warmed up to me then to my husband but she's starting to come around to him also, especially today. We all had a "cat nap" this afternoon in a huge cuddle pile.

She's using her litterboxes like a champ now :). Peeing and pooping, we've got a good rhythm. I clean them once-twice a day and leave just a little bit of soiled litter in it. Eventually I think I wont need to leave the soiled litter but until it's a super habit it's been helping. Also been giving her a treat everytime I catch her using it.

She has been doing a bit of scent marking...none today so I think she might be over it. Friday night/Saturday morning while I was sleeping she peed a tiny bit on my flip flops, and a little bit at the front door. I'm positive its scent marking because it's just a small amount (compared to a full bladder pee which I've cleaned up where her litter box is now). They're also very specific areas/items with significance. She hasn't done it since the Saturday morning though so I think we might be put of the woods for litter training.

Shes also eating more. I've been feeding her about a half cup of raw food a day, spread over multiple feedings (3-5). I've just been letting her eat what she wants, and then when she's done I put it back in the fridge. Lately though shes been eating the 1/4 cup servings all at once. I know kittens need to eat several times a day and not just twice, like adult cats. Should I jump her from 1/2 cup a day closer to 3/4's if shes eating it? (Her food is frozen in 1/4 cup portions).
@Xandria

Last edited by a moderator:

TheZu

Lairian
I apologize that I'm posting so much but I'm just so proud... new litter box development: we moved the box and she still used it!!!

As I mentioned, one of her spots she picked was next to the oven and in front of the sink. We had to cook dinner and finally we just had to move it to cook. We figured we could put it back later. Well, she came over looking for it and sniffing, right under our feet. You could almost see her little brain going...she wanted to pee but we were in the way. We hoped she'd go to the other box to do it. But she found the other box across the room, and just went and used it!!! So naturally we gave her a treat and lots of praise.

I am so incredibly stunned and in awe of this breed. It's like I have a whole different cat in only five days. She went from super timid, never using her box, peeing everywhere to a super star cuddler and love bug!!! Day one she was still appreciative of attention and I was surprised. She seemed more friendly then I expected a kitten on her first days home. But this... I've never seen this much love from a cat. I also want to thank all of you. All of your advice and support has really helped her progress with the litter box, bringing her home and keeping he healthy. My vet was s impressed that I was already giving her a lysine supplement and doing other things :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Woohoo! Hurray for Missy now using the litterbox! Very happy to hear so.
And happy to hear Missy settles in so well and feels more and more relaxed around you. It's great to read your updates, keep them coming

TheZu

Lairian
And today it seems we're making backwards progress with the litter box. She actually peed on my husband's hand this morning and there's a spot on the carpet. I'm going to completely change out the litter boxes and put new fresh litter in. It might be my fault and that scooping just wasn't keeping them clean enough. Also gonna go back to keeping her in the bathroom when we aren't around. If it keeps happening another day I'm going to take her to the vet to rule out a health problem.

I'm fairly certain it's just stress since shes in a new environment. it's been less than a week that shes been home with us after all. I've also read that peeing directly on someone is usually a sign that they want to be friends. Shes definitely more comfortable with me than the hubby so I think shes trying to warm up to him.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh I so hoped it was solved now! Big sigh!

Do you have a felliway diffuser? That coukd help her to reduce stress.

Only scooping should be enough to keep the litterbox clean enough (cleaning once a month).

Always a good idea to rule out any health issue.

And Missy, I'm sure daddy already loves you a lot. So peeing on him to become friends isn't necessary. Most humans don't really like being peed over, you know;-).

Fingers crossed she'll stop peeing outside the litterbox soon.

Hugs for you for being so patient!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@TheZu – That's awesome. Yes, feel free to feed as much as Missy will eat. What I found while they were growing is that they would go through phases of not eating much, and other phases of eating so much that I had no idea where the food was going. For the first year, definitely let them eat as much as they wish. Enjoy!

Back