Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Mistoffelees first week!

TheZu

Lairian
Day One: first time home!

She's home!!! Only been abot an hour. Poor thing is so overwhelmed with the new place. Have her crate we took her home in open so she can come out when she's ready.

She surprisingly friendly, she doesn't mind being petted and even snuggled in closer to me on my lap. But she doesn't want to leave the crate yet. She's going to spend the afternoon with my hubby around while I'm at work and then we switch when he goes to work. I'll keep everyone updated with pictures and thought I'd do a thread to recap the week.

If someone can please let me know how to put in pictures from my phone up I'll show her to you!

20180711_123225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hooray for the homecoming of Miss Mistoffelees! I love her name, I've actually been listening to my recording of "Cats" the past few days :)

As for posting pics, are you using Android or iPhone? I will do whatever I can to support pics of this little lady!

TheZu

Lairian
Oh I think I figured out the picture?! Here's one of her and me. She's still very nervous but actually did some exploring today and ate her dinner. She had her second shot today and I was told she'd be a bit sniffly.

She is so fascinating to me and I feel I'm learning so much about her. She's been mostly hiding in her crate today and later in the heated bed. But she also loves to be petted...she meows when I leave her and wants me there and purrs a storm when I pet her. But also scared to leave those few spots.

I have a question about some discharge from Her right eye. Its mostly clear, you can see in the picture (If I can get that one up) when it was a bit pink/brown. She has a vet visit tomorrow, just for a standard check up so I'm not terribly worried, but if anyone could ease my mind for now if appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20180711_123225.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 33

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh what a sweetie :) great pic together :)

sending positve vibes for her vet visit tomorrow

wellness checks are good get a a good baseline .
I bring a poo sample in case they want to do a fecal test
I alway ask for a good listen to the heart for any murmurs.

I also do not have them give the FIP or Felv vaccine .
Many contracts will be void if administered.

Ask the vet about the brown eye discharge/watery.

Sometimes brown eye gunk is just that with Sphynx .
I always ask the vet during my newly brought home kitties wellness checks to check for any brewing upper respiratory infection - which is not uncommon with new kitties brought home .
Many of us supplement with L-lysine powder

Is there any sneezing ?
always watch for greenish colored discharge which can be a sign of infection.

All paws crossed for the wellness check tomorrow :)

Head smooches sent

TheZu

Lairian
Absolutely no sneezing or sniffles thus far, and the eye discharge is mostly clear. Because she ate her dinner, she got her lysine dosage too :) I'm just going over her file and she doesn't have those shots. If she has a poop I'll take it, but she hasn't gone at all since she's been home. I have heard it's normal for them to wait to go.

Oh little Missy. She keeps meowing for me, It's so amazing to me that she already wants me around, even if she's still nervous about the area.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhh she is a sweety :) what an amazing bond

My boy hung out in his "Crate" cave for a week before he would venture out and about comfortably.
He held out going potty too
Now he is a wild child

Missy has clearly stolen your heart :)
Head smooches sent

Please update us with the vet visit info
Good sign no sneezing and clear eye discharge color .

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy gotcha day! What a beautiful cutie she is. And I so love the big smile on your face. You look so happy and in love.

It's great you let her decide when she wants to come out. She' already sitting with you so I guess she'll feel at home in now time.

Brownish eye gunk as on the pic is totally normal. From this day on you'll find eye gunk everywhere in your house (they shake their had and off the eye gunk goes;-).

TheZu

Lairian
They certainly did. She has a totally clean bill of health :) Vet wasn't worried about the eye discharge but did prescribe lysine supplements for two weeks...but I already have been putting the lysine in her food (and she's eaten two meals since coming home). Vet was happy I already was doing the lysine and told me to keep doing it as a preventative measure. Poor Missy did not like the visit at all, but we did buy her some raw treats to apologize. She also did her first poop...in the cat crate at the vet cause she was nervous. Very solid though, vet looked at it and gave it a thumbs up.

Ahe isn't peeing in her litter box yet, but I think its just too deep and big for her right now and of course she's nervous and think just wanting to own the space. Her pee doesn't smell as bad as other cat pee I've smelled either, is that a kitten thing or a raw diet thing?

Anyway, already using the same litter as the breeder, I picked up some smaller containers today multiple to place around that should be easier for her to go in (one I put on top of the spot she peed on last night). I'm using less litter in these ones to match what she had at the breeders, see if that helps. (Also have an enzyme cleaner for the two pee spots). When I caught her peeing I rushed to put her in the box but it was too late.

Definitely exploring more today! She likes being near us but not with us yet, if that makes sense.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Big congratz on a beautiful baby! Good to hear she's ok. She'll be turning your home upside down in no time I'm sure!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@TheZu Thanks for the updates. So glad Missy got a clean bill of health, litter boxes modified, and that you figured out how to share pictures!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Missy is a cuty! Love it how she sleeps on top op the pillow. Hopefully she starts peeing on the litterbox soon.

TheZu

Lairian
Morning Day Three:

It's like a light bulb went off last night and she's suddenly exploring like crazy, much less subdued (no more tail between the legs submissive). She still won't jump up in our laps and runs a bit from us, but she also loves attention. Like, you just touch her, she starts to purr and rub up against you. Her second night was much better, didn't wake up meowing at all. We can tell she's still nervous still not completely sure. But better.

She still jsnt going in the litter box...at this point I'm not even sure she's knows what's its for. She peed twice last night I threw some spot, fortunately on the tile, ironically in front of the closed bathroom door. I cleaned it up and put a litter box there but no go. We decided to let her into the bathroom since she seemed keen on it (we keep the toilet lid down). We moved her box little box in the bathroom and put the cover back on (shes never gone in, we figured it was too big and just thought we'd leave it out of the way). Ironically though, it's like she almost prefers the cover on and it in ththe bathroom because shes actually gone in there twice now...she just won't do her business in them.

We wonder if it's just her trying to scent mark to make things comfortable. Were going this weekend to buy a different type of litter and a litter attractant to give her options and see if that helps. I know with patience (and a ton of enzyme cleaner) we will conquer this!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for the pictures and the updates. Little Miss Missy is absolutely adorable. What a cutie. I can see how much you love her. Every kitty is different with respect to transitioning to a new home. My boy, Max, immediately wanted to explore EVERYTHING. Apart from missing his family (meowing a little bit for a couple of days), he transitioned into our household immediately. My girl, Min, was more about staying put, not exploring as much, and being a little standoffish. But every week that went by she integrated more and more in our household.

Glad that the vet visit went well. By the way, I give my crew lysine twice a day in their food and they have very few eye boogers – But like @Toa and Ross , I find them on the walls on occasion. LOL keep us updated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TheZu ,
My first Sphynx girl liked the covered box ( I alway remove the door flaps on the cover) to pee in.

She preferred an open low litter box with yesterday's news litter pellets to poo in -
Both boxes in a spare bathroom .
She was just picky that way

Keep us updated!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:cat:Congrats on your beautiful babe’s homecoming!! I’m sure she will be over her timidness and back to crazy kitten antics in no time!

I’m new to sphynx/cats, so I’m not the most helpful. However, I have had great success with Dr. Elsey’s Kitten Attract Litter. We have only have one episode outside the box since we brought Kenzo home 7 weeks ago. (That ‘accident’ was actually an ‘intentional.’ :ROFLMAO::rolleyes: Kenzo was sending me a clear message that he didn’t like being walked outside on a leash)

Maybe give another litter a try? Dr. Elsey’s is a crowd fav. Good luck and welcome to the crazy sphynx lady club!:cat:

Back