Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Mochi not using the box(diarrhea)

Mochigrandpa

Lairian
Hello I’m new to the group but I’ve had my Mochi for about 5 months now and I have an older one as well named Grandpa. I kept mochi on the breeders diet (royal canin) and wanted to transition to a different food but for the past month he’s had diarrhea and we’ve gone to the vet and they gave antidiarrheals and it helped for a day but as soon as the meds were done he had diarrhea again. And to make matters worse since he’s had diarrhea he has not been using the litter box. I’ve tried self isolation with his own box and still won’t,I’ve changed litter and don’t know what else to try any advice is welcome thank you!
Side note: I did receive him from the breeder with a URI that she had not informed me about prior and it is reaccuring, so I don’t know if maybe that’s what’s causing his diarrhea

Attachments

• E386CCBB-70B6-4992-8BA8-F01C04B93B78.jpeg
    E386CCBB-70B6-4992-8BA8-F01C04B93B78.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 19

Sheldon13

Staff member
I don’t think the URI would cause diarrhea, though it is its own problem.

I do wonder if his food just doesn’t agree with him. He may have an allergy to a protein or grain in his current food. You could try starting him on a limited ingredient diet (where it’s just one protein source). Instinct makes a great rabbit variety that I always recommend starting with but it’s not the only brand out there. Usually that can eliminate any allergy issues. Then you can start adding back other proteins one at a time every 6 weeks if you want to feed other meats.

The other thing you can do right now to help the diarrhea is give him a tablespoon of puréed pumpkin with his meals. Usually that firms things up. Just make sure you don’t get the pumpkin pie filling can. Has to be plain pumpkin.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mochigrandpa , welcome to the lair family! so glad you joined us and are sharing pics and asking questions. Did the vet rule out Giardia, we have seen as the culprit sometimes with poo issues. check stool sample? some vets will prescribe a round of metronidazole.

have you changed litters recently? scoop litter box frequently? sphynx poo more than any other cat I have ever been owned by. they eat more bcz of higher metabolism so constantly scooping box. some cats are trying to say they don't like the litter if out of box issues.

Royal Canin kitten food is used by many with no issues. sorry about the URI, is that all cleared up? some can diarrhea from certain medications too. following for updates hugs n head smooches to Mochi and Grandpa :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. What a hamdsome cutie Mochi is. Sorry to hear he has diarrhea and is not using the litterbox. I know how frustrating that can be.

Maybe try adding a second litterbox? And does this litterbox has a hood? If so maybe take off the hood to see if that helps. Also try a newspaper to see if he wants to use that

Back