Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monkey Cat!

Ferret

Lairian
Hi! Im Kris (aka Ferret) I found this forum when i was searching for info on a rash one of our cats has. We have five, all rescues. We started with two kittens (same age, same shelter, different litters) who will be 3 years old in Sept (Anna- a siamese cross and Little Dude - a solid black dsh who thinks he rules the world). Then we decided they needed an older friend to teach them manners (failed :) ) and adopted Shamus (then 3 1/2), a now 6ish year old orange tabby. Since the kittens ignored him, we felt he needed a friend and my boyfriend thought we should get a Sphynx. After 5 months of not finding one for adoption, we adopted a very sad looking sorta-persian who is also now about 6 years old whom we named Widget. He is quite the oddball.

fast forward 9 months to June 08. I still had a search on petfinder for a sphynx running cuz i liked looking at the pictures of them. One Friday a listing comes up for a part sphynx, part maine coon cat for adoption (in michigan, were in Mass) who is slated to be put down by the animal control the following thurs cuz noone wanted her. There was no picture. Later that day i checked again and there was a photo... weirdest looking cat ever! Took the pic and listing home to my bf and he said, give it a shot! We have a friend who lives in MI who owed us a favor. So on Wed my firned picked her up, got her health cert at a vet for the flight here and promptly got stuck in traffic and couldnt get to the airport in time to get her to the pet transport for wed evening. SO he took her home, opened the carrier to give her some food (he isnt used to having pets and his family wouldnt let him bring her in the house) and she bolted. So now its 7 pm, my newly adopted sorta sphynx -front declawed :( is loose in a strange neighborhood around people she doesnt know. Thankfully she showed back up at his house meowing at 10 and he got her back in the carrier. She arrived here at 1pm on Thursday :)

He name was Hanna, but due to already having an Anna she needed a new name. First we called her teenyone cuz shes small, but then my bf started calling her the monkey and it stuck. She had to have an entropian repair on one of her eyes, but other than that she has been quite healthy till this rash. (we are working with the vet) from what i read on here she sounds like she is 100% sphynx personality. sleeps under the covers with me (shes "mommys little monkey") cries if shes locked out of a room, etc. Ill cut this off now and add some pics....
tongueout.jpg

muttonchops.jpg

little dude
dude2.jpg
]

anna
anna.jpg

Shamus
shamey2.jpg

Widget
widge.jpg

Widget and Shamus (best buds)
ShaWidgCudle.jpg

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, that is an odd looking cat. She's looks friendly as can be though. You have quite the kitty family. Welcome to sphynx lair.

I'm curious. Is Widget blind? Widget looks so cute.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You were right that is a cat that definately makes you look twice :Laugh: Oddly enough she still looks quite pretty in her own way. You can definately see the sphynx in her by her bone structure. All of your babies are beautiful but I have to say I'm a little partial to little dude. He looks just like me cat Midnight aka bubby who passed away in december. Is he a large cat? I've found that most male black cats have a tendency of leaning more to the over large and muscular. Anyway welcome! :BigSmile:

Brooke

Banned
Welcome to the forum, Kris! I love that last photo of the two guys snuggling. So cute!!

Monkey is certainly an odd looking girl, I like the puffs of hair on her cheeks. You guys are great to have gone to the trouble of saving her from another state the way you did, just in time. :ThumbsUp:

Ferret

Lairian
Thanks for the welcomes! Those pics of Monkey are from the first day we had her (all i have on my work computer) Ill get some newer ones loaded soon :) Her cheek puffs (muttonchops) have shrunk right now as shes lost her winter coat. She is almost completely naked now except for the sideburns, a tail poof, fuzzy white boots and some fuzz on her face :)

Lil Dude is actually quite long and lean. His first trip to the vet they asked him if he was part girafffe. :) We think he may be part siamese as he is very talkative also.

Widget isnt blind, I have to find some awake pics of him... he sleeps in such odd positions its hard to resist photoing him asleep. He has the typical black eye-gook, which makes his eyes look funny when they are closed.

Brooke

Banned
Thanks for the welcomes! Those pics of Monkey are from the first day we had her (all i have on my work computer) Ill get some newer ones loaded soon :) Her cheek puffs (muttonchops) have shrunk right now as shes lost her winter coat. She is almost completely naked now except for the sideburns, a tail poof, fuzzy white boots and some fuzz on her face :)

Definitely wanna see what Monkey looks like without her winter coat! Walter gets a little bit prickly during the winter, but nothing like that!! haha

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Ferret,
Strange indeed, but aren't they all! I hope all goes well with your new little one! Maybe your on to a new breed of cat! LOL

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome sorry I am so late, I must say you have quite the bunch. Can't wait too see more pics.Oh did the rash ever go away? I think we all got caught up on the look of your little family no one ever got to the rash part? What does it look like?

Ferret

Lairian
Hi again.. bringing back up my thread from 5+ years ago... Sadly, we lost Monkey in July 2012, about 10 months before that she had been diagnosed with cancer but did pretty good until she unexpectedly passed away one evening. Also, about 3 months ago we lost Shamus, he had a mystery ailment that caused his abdomen to fill with fluid and he passed away about 10 days after he started showing symptoms. On a good note I had a baby boy in 2012 who is now 2 and a half! Our house seems so empty with just the 3 cats so we are looking for a sphynx again! We would rather rescue than buy, so here i am :) also, Monkey's rash from above turned out to be an allergy to the laundry detergent we were using!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sorry to hear about your loses; but that glad you are able to open your heart and share your home little love bugs that need a family!

Back