Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

kelsheyyx

Lairian
I think I mentioned this in my previous posts, but I'm going to bring it up again and see if you guys have any experience, insight, or advice for me on this.

Ophelia has a tendency to step in her poop - a lot. Not all the time, but about once a week (at least) she poops and steps in it in the process of covering it and leaving the litter box. Most of the time this is very early in the morning, and I wake up to her pouncing on my head and getting poop all over me and my sheets.

While this forces me to keep up with washing my sheets and blankets regularly (which is something I slacked on in the past), I'm sure you can imagine my frustration! I stay on top of scooping her litter box, and if I know she's pooping I immediately grab a baby wipe to wipe her down when she's done (and she hates me for it).

I'm wondering if this is common among Sphynx, or cats in general. She is still very young - about 3 months - so I'm not sure if perhaps it's common in kittens and something they will grow out of.

Her litter box is not very small, either. I was using the Breeze litter system which is pellets that made it difficult for her to kick over her poop, and switched to a covered litter box and normal litter that she can dig around in easily. I didn't switch her over for this sole reason (my dog enjoyed getting a "treat" from the Breeze box), but the change in the litter didn't seem to help too much.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance, guys!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think I mentioned this in my previous posts, but I'm going to bring it up again and see if you guys have any experience, insight, or advice for me on this.

Ophelia has a tendency to step in her poop - a lot. Not all the time, but about once a week (at least) she poops and steps in it in the process of covering it and leaving the litter box. Most of the time this is very early in the morning, and I wake up to her pouncing on my head and getting poop all over me and my sheets.

While this forces me to keep up with washing my sheets and blankets regularly (which is something I slacked on in the past), I'm sure you can imagine my frustration! I stay on top of scooping her litter box, and if I know she's pooping I immediately grab a baby wipe to wipe her down when she's done (and she hates me for it).

I'm wondering if this is common among Sphynx, or cats in general. She is still very young - about 3 months - so I'm not sure if perhaps it's common in kittens and something they will grow out of.

Her litter box is not very small, either. I was using the Breeze litter system which is pellets that made it difficult for her to kick over her poop, and switched to a covered litter box and normal litter that she can dig around in easily. I didn't switch her over for this sole reason (my dog enjoyed getting a "treat" from the Breeze box), but the change in the litter didn't seem to help too much.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance, guys!
Sorry to hear of this issue, also known as "poo foot." Is the poop runny? If so, a bit of pumpkin (not the filler type) can help with firming the poo up - less of a mess, as long as overall health of the cat is good. Perhaps a different litter, most use a clumping litter, here is a good poll thread on different litters - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/what-brand-cat-litter-do-you-use.8267/

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear of this issue. I don't have experience with poo foot. Hopefully others will chime in. Only wanted to say I can imagine the frustation and hope you and your sheets will be poo free soon!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I seem to remember Mo having a few problems with 'poo foot' when he was younger, but it rarely happens now, he's an older boy. We do get the odd incident but its usually if he has had a bit of a runny poo. Pumpkin does help firm up the poo and makes 'poo foot' less likely to happen. And a good diet and clumping litter too! Best of luck!

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have not experienced poo foot yet (fingers crossed), just one poo tail, although when I first got Mulder his feet smelled STRONGLY of poo a couple times without actually having any on them (that was before we switched his diet). We don't use the Breeze system at home, but Nate's grandparents do, and I noticed when our cats used that box they didn't cover their poo, so I could see them stepping in it easily then.
But you said you don't use that anymore - what brand of litter do you have now? Are you able to tell how her poos look (firm, mushy, runny)?
A lot of us use Dr Elseys Precious Cat. That stuff clumps so fast my husband was almost unable to get a sample for a fecal test for Ponzu!

kelsheyyx

Lairian
hi everyone, sorry I haven't been on this as of recently. I decided to get rid of the breeze system and switched to a regular litter box and changed to world's best cat litter. I'm happy to say that ophelia used it immediately - the second I set the box down she used it! I really like this litter too bc it doesn't smell so "literry" and is all natural. the cleanup is annoying but I've invested in a dust buster and keep it next to the box. no poo foot since! thank you all for your advice!

Back