Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

More than three sphynxs

SphynxBIS

Lairian
I have 2 babies and their mother but I felt in love with odd eyes baby. I am thinking 4 sphynxs could be too many cats . How many of you have more 4???

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have 2 babies and their mother but I felt in love with odd eyes baby. I am thinking 4 sphynxs could be too much cats . How many of you have more 4???
We just have two, I don't think we could have another, too many other pets in the home. :)

ps: Welcome by the way!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@SphynxBIS WELCOME! We have 3 Sphynx and 1 Bengal. 20, 13, 3 1/2 and 3 years old. The one thing I always stress when asked this question is to really think hard about the welfare of the kittens and can you afford the long term commitment financially ? 3 kittens at the same time is costly. 3 spays/neuters at the same time, teeth cleanings, geriatric care, and if you plan on HCM scanning they are costly besides the regular veterinary care etc. if any develop allergies, food can become even more expensive.The amount of love for these guys is endless, but sometimes the amount of $ needed for long term care is not. Sometimes getting a pair is great and the adding a kitten a couple of years later helps to take the sting out and trust me, you will get kitten fever again lol. If finance is not an issues, be sure to know there is no genetic issues in the bloodlines like HCM because it can be devastating and the stress of one and then all possibly being affected is devastating. Our biggest costs that immediately went up by getting our 4th was vet, litter and food. Our youngest are spread out by 6 months. Things like bath time was easy to get used to what was one more right lol? Give it serious thought and if all reasons and ability are there, you will never hear us say it is too many lol.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SphynxBIS , welcome to the lair family!
Hope you can introduce your kitties with pics on a thread in "My Sphynx cat tail" :)
I bet they are adorable!

Great advice given by Patti -
Lots to consider :)
Odd eyes are gorgeous - just be sure to take everything into consideration - work hours, retired , vet bills, supplies, food , extra litter and boxes - and lots of extra time for loving and playing and cuddling amd grooming spa days each . 4 sphynx here and being home retired is my limit-
It's nice naked balance :)
Only you can decide what is best for your circumstances after careful consideration - home, work, travel etc
I started a sphynx savings fund by automatic transfer from my check deposit to savings each month :)

Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@SphynxBIS hello and welcome.

I would like to first answer your question by saying that you answered your own question already perhaps and I'll quote you, "I am thinking 4 sphynxs could be too many cats." It sounds like you answered your own question to me. If there is any, just a slight hesitation, then when in doubt, leave it out is my motto!

It costs a lot of money to feed cats. Feeding a sphynx high quality food is way more expensive. Then there are supplements like L-Lysine and FortiFlora...all adds up.
Kitty litter, the good ones that leave no dust and stains on a sphynx is more expensive than the ordinary dusty, inexpensive clay litters.

Time? Do you have the time to devote your love and attention to another one? Do you have the time and patience to clip nails, clean under nail flaps, clean ears, give full baths and in-between wipe downs?

Do you have the money for routine vet bills if you add one more sphynx? Do you have the money if there is a medical problem?, etc., etc., etc. We never know what we are going to get when we bring home our little bundles of love. As you know, we instantly fall head over heels in love with them and would never think of giving them back if there was medical issues.

So I don't think that anyone can offer you the correct answer as to how many is a good number to have or is one more too many!?! It's an individual thing, just like having human children. Furry cats are not so demanding. You might have once had 4 or 5 furry cats at one time, but you went about your business as they were fully independent. As you know, the sphynx breed wants and needs your attention most of their waking day while you are there.

You have to know in your heart what you can provide for an additional sphynx and I'm sure you will make the right choice no doubt.

I'd love to see photos of your babies if you'd be so kind and share later.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Hope you're willing to post photos of your three cuties and tell us what their names are. Always very curious:).
If you have the time, the money and the space and non of the cats you already have, do have issues with other cats I don't see why you couldn't get a 4th sphynx. There can never be to much sphynx love in a house.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair!

I just have Rosie. I've thought about another naked, more because I work nights and think she could do with the company when I go to work. But other times I think she loves being an only cat and being thoroughly spoiled! 1 did have some hairy cats but they live with my boyfriend as I'm only allowed one pet in my house, which decides for me right now, meaning I can't get another anyway.

She's happy though. I'd certainly have 1 more if I thought Rosie really would be better off though. Im pretty sure I could persuade my landlord- he used to think Rosie was weird and a bit ugly, but we've progressed to kind of cute and sweet looking, so there's a chance he'll agree to a second pet 1 day!

Back