Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Mouse poorly ear no.2 :(

Bosskitty

Lairian
Those of you who know Mouse will already know he has quite a distinctive cauliflower ear from before he came to me.

A week or so ago he started with a tiny hematoma in his good ear which very quickly developed into something not so tiny.
Cutting a very long and stressful story short regarding a useless vets practice and a large vets bill, I managed to get him seen by another vet practice who have been wonderful and he has finally been taken seriously and sorted out.

This morning I took him to the vets and he's had his ear drained and has had a stent fitted, a box of steroids and now a nice new shiny cone to wear...

I've never had a sick animal before so this has been so hard and if anyone has any tips on how to keep a stressed sphynx with a cone on its head calm, that would be greatly appreciated.
There's been a lot of tears and stress this morning so Mouse and I are going to spend the day chilling on the sofa.
If you guys can keep us in your thoughts it would be lovely x

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh...so sorry this has been such a stressful time. Not sure what type of cone your baby currently has, but I know mine HATED the hard ones. I bought this one and it made it much easier on them. They do eventually get used to the cone, but it is horrible to see them get so freaked out in the beginning.
ce71fbd0fc5555adcc6e250e5b8dc92e.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
There is also the donut style neck wraps that work the same as cones you might look into. Kinda like having a neck pillow all the way around.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Bosskitty

Lairian
Thank you everyone for replying, it really means a lot especially since I'm not particularly in a good place myself right now either.

How long does it usually take for them to get used to the cones?
Mouse is normally the loudest, most affectionate and engegetic sphynx. (even the vet commented on how chatty he was, and I guess they see loads of cats everyday)

He's spent all day hiding away in little corners which isn't him at all.
He has been eating a bit and I've managed to hide his tablets in prawns covered in chicken yoghurt (ew) he's been using the toilet but he doesnt seem to have drank anything and it's pretty warm right now.
I'm very worried about him

thanks for the support x

Sheldon13

Staff member
Bless his little heart. Try tone tuna juice? Or even clam juice? He might be more willing to do that. You could also try no sodium chicken broth.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Bosskitty hang in there you are doing a great job.

I understand it makes it more stressful when vets also are a bit of a problem.

Cones that are clear have been given to us before because they keep their peripheral vision. We bought soft fabric pet collars to secure the clear plastic cones.

Make sure to keep checking on cone so it is not too tight or they don’t get stuck .

If you aren’t home maybe get a web cam and keep baby confined to one room with all their things for safety while out.

We took the cone off for feeding and drinking and I think for supervised times to wander around.

Both girls had cones for different reasons.

Hang in there!{}

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bosskitty ,hugs n healing vibes Team Mouse. I personally do not have kitty cone experience. surely members will chime in.
do you have a small liquid plunger feeder? I keep one on hand in case I need to give a little water gently into the side of the cheek. great tips given to encourage water.

what medication is he on? can you take his temperature with a small digital thermometer?

sending a feel better flower for you and mouse, following closely for updates

Attachments

• 20200323_093357.jpg
    20200323_093357.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 16

Bosskitty

Lairian
@Bosskitty ,hugs n healing vibes Team Mouse. I personally do not have kitty cone experience. surely members will chime in.
do you have a small liquid plunger feeder? I keep one on hand in case I need to give a little water gently into the side of the cheek. great tips given to encourage water.

what medication is he on? can you take his temperature with a small digital thermometer?

sending a feel better flower for you and mouse, following closely for updates
Thanks for this, I've had a breakthrough this morning with getting him to take in more fluids. I poured some hot water into his wet food and mashed it all together - it looked a bit like stew haha - and he's gobbled it all up no problem. This was my mum's suggestion, apparently, they can smell it more and gets their taste buds going..
Randomly he got up last night from cuddling me in bed and peed on the floor and got back in bed which isnt like him at all. Can medications change their behaviour?
I would be worried it's a UTI as I've been told he's had them before, but it was a decent-sized wee and he'snot done it since, he's also had a good sized wee in his litter tray overnight too.

I'm going to see how he gets on today and maybe order him a soft collar, I'm just so worried about removing this one for even a second because I know scratch his ear instantly and he'll pull out his stent and then all of this has been for nothing.

Thanks for the continued advice and support.
My boyfriend is away at the moment and I'm alone dealing with all of this and you all don't realise how much this means to have these replies from people who genuinely care.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Does your litter box have a top on it? If so you might try removing it. They might not feel comfortable with the cone on going into the opening. Happy your baby is eating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bosskitty kitty,awh. we are always here for Team Mouse! great job on getting mouse fluids. hugs to your mum!

agree with lid off a litter box and perhaps check its location can he get in and out easily. perhaps leaving it in same spot and pulling it forward for easy access with cone on? just brainstorming. not sure your litter box set up

healing vibes Team Mouse .. your are precious!!! as a child I had an adoptee siamese with a cauliflower ear. I truly understand.

your lair family is always here! hugs n head smooches

Attachments

• 20200703_163319.jpg
    20200703_163319.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 13
Back