Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Movin' on down...to KY!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My husband found a new job (thank u God!!:BigSmile:) and we are moving 4 hours south. My 2 Sphynx boys are great in the car & actually enjoy riding and looking out the window. My furry guy, however, HATES to be in the car. Our old vet was 20 minutes away & he "yelled" the whole time...he would never calm down. Same with the new vet that is only 10 min away.:ThumbsDown:

I have seen lots of tips about blankets & carriers, but does anyone know what I can do for my poor guy? I'm afraid he's going to make himself sick. His hair falls out in clumps when we got to the vet- he'll look like a sphnx after 4 hours! I'm also afraid he'll frighten the other cats

please help if you have experienced this before!!:Sweat:

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
New to this bread, but I know in Horse there is Over the counter "be Calm" stuff and drops to help with stress.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good luck with the move and congrats on the hubby's job!

My grandma has to tranquilize her cat for any type of travel. It's a mild sedative from the vet that she uses and doesn't knock him out or anything. He just lays around halfway between wake and sleep and is calm but responsive. I don't know what it is called but I'm sure your vet can give you something.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The vet gave me Acepromazine to try. I am going to give it to him tomorrow since I will be home all afternoon to see how he reacts before we go on the road. I also got the Feliway spray so fingers crossed for next tuesday!!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We did the trial run yesterday & I'm pretty sure he was "happy" but he was still walking around and doing his normal stuff. I called the vet today & reminded her that he is 22lbs-she suggested he get a whole pill instead of 1/2 next week:LOL:

susi794

Staff member
It's a new chapter in your life-- how exciting! I know you are probably dreading the physical part of the move, but I hope you find nothing but good stuff in your Ky. future. Glad you got the tranqs from the vet and are all ready for the trip. Be safe when you go, K?

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats on your hubby's new job..I would be so siked about the move..Blue Grass, Home of the Kentucky derby.. Beautiful landscape.. I am so jealous.. I just wouldn't like winter..It's to cold for me here in Louisiana so I know I would freeze there.. Congrats again and glad the kitty tranquilizer seems to help.

Back