Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Moving sphynx from Australia to England

Idontsphynxso

Lairian
Hi, I moved to Australia four years ago and now I'm planning to go home to England. Whilst living here in Australia I adopted my boy. I couldn't imagine life without him and want to relocate him with us when we leave. I can't take him into the cabin due to aus/uk quarantine laws so he must travel in the cargo. It's such a long flight and I worry that I can't check on him between flights.

Has anyone travelled long haul with their cat? Any tips/advice?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I haven't but, I would make sure with the airline, that as soon as the plane lands
when switching flights, or being stalled for any reason and he's in cargo stalled.
They get him off immediately. Because, if it's hot or cold, it life threatening.
There won't be heat or air, once the plane stops. There have been sphynx
die because of being left in cargo to long. I'm not trying to scare you.
But, it is very important, you stress the importance to them. See that they
bring him right to you as soon as you get off the plane. Or if you are on the plane and your stalled. Make sure you put per pads down, then a thick soft blanket,
then food and water than Will hang on the cage. Some Vets will give them a
calming medicine. It doesn't sedate them, will just calm them. Talk to your
Vet.

Idontsphynxso

Lairian
Normally I have to change once. Twice at the most. But on this trip I would definitely only change once. The trip normally takes 24 hours which worries me. Due to England and Australia quarantine laws they do not allow animals to enter the country thought the cabin. They must arrive via cargo. :(

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Will they not get him out of cargo as soon as you land and
bring him intro the Airline desk? To you? You will have to keep
him with you until you board again. He can't stay on the plane
then stay there until they load him into cargo again. I would talk
to the Airline about it. When you change planes and him staying in
cargo like luggage until they put him on the next plane.
When the planes land stop their engines and decompress he will be
there cold, hot, whatever. A sphynx can't handle that. If it takes
24hrs I would do 12 hrs.stay over night with him and then do the
other the next day. I'm very concerned about the 24 hr.
@Idontsphynxso

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Never had such a long trip with my sphynx and can't advice you on this @Idontsphynxso . But you will definitly not the first how moves from Australia to another place and it must be possible. Hope others with experience chime in.

I know a friend of mine was planning to move to Australia from here (the Nerherlands) with his dog. He didn't go. But while he was prepairing he told my the airline had a lot of experience with shipping animals via cargo. Of course they need to be experienced cause they alway transport animals by cargo. They told him they have special pet service with people who take care of the pets that do have experience. So I would ask the airline about that service. It probably will cost more but I think it's worth it.

He also told me that the vet would give te dog some calming meds so the dog would sleep most of the time. Don't know if that's good or not but maybe that something to ask to your vet.

Have a safe trip!!

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you moving to England for good? I'm English, but I live in adelaide now. If there is any possibility that you might come back, I would be interested in helping you out by offering your baby a home with us until you return.

I'd be so worried about a 24 hour trip. But I'm certain they are very experienced and look after any animals extremely well.
Maybe have a chat to your local zoo, to ask how they transport their animals long haul. They do it all the time and must have a few tips and advice for you to make sure the whole trip goes smoothly. With such valuable and often endangered species to look after, they would have to make sure everything was perfect.

I'm sure once you find the right company and check them out, they will give you a minute by minute itinerary so you know for sure your little one is being taken care of I'm the best possible manner. They would have to tell you exactly what happens each time the plane lands, or change of planes, what would happen if there were unexpected delays etc.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I know people who have had to travel further distance and their baby was fine just choose an airline that has good standards for their live cargo hold do your research and call every direct flight airline and ask them about their live cargo hold

Idontsphynxso

Lairian
Thankyou for the offer Lealea. We are making the trip one way. I only planned to come to Australia for a six month holiday backpacking and I'm still here five years on, living in Melbourne with a new baby and sphynx so I'm ready to go home now :D Everyone back home thinks I'm crazy for wanting to come back.

I've heard of a company called 'jet pets' a friend of mine sent her cat from Melbourne to France with them with no issues. I'm hoping to be on the same flights as my cat so I can see him on and be there to take him off. Everyone thinks I'm crazy! I think Qantas have a pretty good reputation. Unfortunately BA doesn't doesn't service Melbourne.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, we had Rosie come by Jetspets, I didn't realise they went international. They were very good, it was just a short flight from Brisbane to Adelaide, but everything went smoothly.

Back