Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

AndreaM

Lairian
I've dug into some of the past forums here on the skin spot issues, but I hadn't seen anything quite like what my almost 13-year-old male has. He's a black & white tux and over the years has had multiplying freckles and moles. He loves the sun, so this is no surprise. Within the past couple of years, he's been getting much larger black spots. In the past few months, they've seemed to multiply all over -- about 12 now. They are all flat but the amount and the seemingly fast spread has me worried. Are they age spots? Something else completely?

He also seems to be getting bonier -- but feels the same weight. Otherwise he's just a grumpy, sleepy old man cat, as I lovingly call him! Everything else is fine health-wise, and he's rarely sick.

I've attached photos of his back, tail, shoulder, and a close-up of the big spot near his hindquarters. (The white patch you see between his shoulder blades is an old scar).

attached.
back-spot.jpg
back.jpg
shoulder.jpg
tail.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It looks like it could be pigmentation. But, you say he looks bonier?
I think I would take him to the Vet and have the spots checked
and his weight. Hope everything is alright.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Looks just like pigment to me.

Looks very familiar, I know we have some other sphynxies on here with these such as @SphynxKid 's Fluffy

Since they have appeared so quickly and so many you could bring it up with your vet for peace of mind.

I have noticed the darker sphynx seem to get more noticeable pigmentation though, especially as they get older though my black sphynx is pretty young and already has a similar spot on his tail.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've dug into some of the past forums here on the skin spot issues, but I hadn't seen anything quite like what my almost 13-year-old male has. He's a black & white tux and over the years has had multiplying freckles and moles. He loves the sun, so this is no surprise. Within the past couple of years, he's been getting much larger black spots. In the past few months, they've seemed to multiply all over -- about 12 now. They are all flat but the amount and the seemingly fast spread has me worried. Are they age spots? Something else completely?

He also seems to be getting bonier -- but feels the same weight. Otherwise he's just a grumpy, sleepy old man cat, as I lovingly call him! Everything else is fine health-wise, and he's rarely sick.

I've attached photos of his back, tail, shoulder, and a close-up of the big spot near his hindquarters. (The white patch you see between his shoulder blades is an old scar).

attached.View attachment 53724 View attachment 53725 View attachment 53726 View attachment 53727
I agree that they appear to be pigmentation spots, our Leo has the exact same color, size and shape as yours, he is also tuxedo. The weight issue should be looked into though as the others said. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
Great advice already given -
I was so happy to see senior Sphynx :)
Please give extra head kisses to handsome " grumpy old man sleepy cat "

Curious if the scar is from a microchip?

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When my old man was getting up in age he got a lot of pigmentation. You have to remember they will loose muscle mass as they become older. I would recommend a wellness vet visit with some blood work to rule out any thing. I love the old golden sphynx. Give him a big kiss right on his noggin

beckicu

Lairian
2 of my sphnyx have those same type of spots! The spots started appearing around age 4-5 years and have become more numerous -most spots are flat and very dark however some will seem to get a bit raised and if I scratch at the spot it will actually come off! Like its grime.. I've gotten exfoliating gloves and when I bathe them it actually cleans the spots (which are still dark tho) i've shown my vet and she doesn't know what it is-not a rash, not skin cancer- she guesses it's deformed hair follicles! It doesn't seem bother the cats at all, but it worries me

admin

Administrator
Staff member
2 of my sphnyx have those same type of spots! The spots started appearing around age 4-5 years and have become more numerous -most spots are flat and very dark however some will seem to get a bit raised and if I scratch at the spot it will actually come off! Like its grime.. I've gotten exfoliating gloves and when I bathe them it actually cleans the spots (which are still dark tho) i've shown my vet and she doesn't know what it is-not a rash, not skin cancer- she guesses it's deformed hair follicles! It doesn't seem bother the cats at all, but it worries me
Do you have pictures of the spots to share?

Back