Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Must be going around!

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I took Dahlia to the vet for an extremely swollen eye. Vet says maybe infection, maybe chlamydia, maybe herpes. Are there tests to know for sure? She is sneezing but she was sneezing well before the eye became swollen. She's been here 2 months and doing great so I don't know that stress would have brought it on. Can someone with a cat that has/has had these infections take a look at the pic and tell me what you think?

I've quarantined her to be safe. She is eating, playing, and otherwise being normal. No eye scratching or anything.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can't tell what it is but it looks nasty and I'm glad you took her to the vet. We have some folks here that are experienced with chlamydia, I'm sure you'll get some ideas to point you in the right direction. I have no experience with it so can't help, sorry.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

What color is the discharge?
If it is green then it may be chlamydia.
You do not get a green discharge with herpes.
Cleo had chlamydia from a show last Oct so this is the time of year it goes around.
What meds did the vet give you?
Have them to the stain test.

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

What color is the discharge?
If it is green then it may be chlamydia.
You do not get a green discharge with herpes.
Cleo had chlamydia from a show last Oct so this is the time of year it goes around.
What meds did the vet give you?
Have them to the stain test.

Surpisingly not a lot of discharge just "tears" because she can't shut her eye too well. What does crust is brownish. Maybe from infection maybe from oil on her skin. The vet gave me neomycin gel 2x's a day (even though she says it's probably viral not bacterial) and lubricant in between to keep the eye from drying out or getting an ulcer. They did a stain test (type that turns neon yellow) but she didn't give me a diffenative answer. Maybe there is none. I'm just anxious and want her to be okay.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The med should help.
It was given to my cats when they had a infection like that.
The only problem was it came back so we tried putting them on it for a month.
It sounds like it is a virus or herpes.
The discharge is green when it is chlamydia.
I hope your cat feels better.

susi794

Staff member
I would start her on L Lysine right away. If it is herpes it's the only thing there really is out there to treat a flare up. Clear up the eye with the ointment--it is probably a secondary infection if it's herpes. The only test for herpes involves getting a tissue sample so it's usually not done. L Lysine is an immunity builder--so even if no herpes, it won't hurt--double the dose to reduce flare ups.
That eye looks painful--poor baby. Keep us informed,ok?
Hugs,
Susi

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am wondering why the vet did not prescribe prednisone drops for infection and inflammation. That sweet baby is too pretty to be sick. Let us know what the vet's diagnosis is.:Sweat:

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mickey's eye is starting to look like that, a little! I am giving him Clavamox but I will take him back to the vet tomorrow.... :(

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Ouch, I've never seen an eye quite that bad. Looks to me like a URI gone bad or herpes..keep us posted. I hope your baby feels better soon! Snuffie and SoBe send their hugs.

My kitties eyes have been running a little today - so I'm keeping a close eye on them as well. Everything is clear so far. I hate it when the kitties are sick. :(

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well she's getting better. Only the top part of the lid is still swollen out. She never stopped being a crazy kitten so I think I took it harder than she did :Dizzy:. Thx suzie for the info on the test. Funny how you'd have to take tissue to confirm but it can be spread by shedding cells. No info from the vet yet. She said if it was herpes it might take 3 weeks to resolve itself. As its going away maybe we dodged a bullet. I'm going to start my 3 babies on lysine to be safe. If nothing else maybe they won't get the sniffles this winter.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've used lysine since day one with my guys -- a small amount (50 mg) every day, and a bigger amount(100 mg) if their eyes get watery or I know they will be in a stressful situation.

So far both guys had a flare-up when I got them home and nothing since:Smile:
\crosses fingers\.

everything I've read about l-lysine says it's safe to give even in large doses, all though I am still cautious about giving too much. It's an amino acid, and excessive amino acids are broken down in the liver and kidneys -- So I figure it probably isn't a good idea to push it.

funny thing, I feed them 'human' l-lysine supplements -- 100 capsules of 500 mg is 6 bucks at the grocery store. I did check all the ingredients to make sure they are safe for cats first.

All I can say is have the vet do the IDEXX(it's one of the labs we use) Feline Upper Respiratory PCR test. All it involves is an eye swab and a pharyngeal swab. Within a few days, you will KNOW for certain what you're dealing with. It can be a bit pricy($190 or so). It tests for chlamydia, herpes and a few other upper respiratory viruses. Wonderful test and easy on the cat.

The reason they do the stain test is to make sure there aren't any scratches on the cornea or an ulcer. Those things can really hurt and cause alot of inflammation.

beeblebrox

Lairian
Zoologix does panels for all respiratory related issues, blood born issues and fecals. Their panels are on an average about $100 but are very comprehensive. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to website here but just google zoologix and you'll find it.

They have the best prices I have found... and VERY comprehensive molecular testing.. herpes, chylmidia (i never spell that right).. etc..

Dez

Back