Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My 1st sphynx, a 14yold resuce

meekka

Lairian
I work at a shelter and have always loved the breed so of course I jumped at the chance to adopt when one was turned in a few weeks ago. Gali is ~14, her original owner passed away and she was being kept by another family member who unfortunately was not able to provide the amount of care/maintenance that sphynx require. We have cleared up her respiratory and ear infections, trimmed and cleaned her nails (were so long they curled over into her paw pads :/ ), and had several baths. My main concern now is her skin: although it looks better than before she still has a LOT of black bumps, especially by her tail. Some I can squeeze out but not others. Also has a few larger bumps on her sides, tail, and under her chin (will attach pictures below). Should I try to pop them? Leave them alone? My vet does not have a lot of sphynx experience so I am open to any advice!

I do have an exfoliating pad I use during baths, but am scared of being too rough on her skin/scrubbing too much. I am considering trying some coconut oil for a prebath next time, is this a good idea? Is there any other creams or lotions I should be using? How do I know if her skin is too dry? Sorry if this is too many questions, am just trying to do right by my girl.
Thanks in advance!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I work at a shelter and have always loved the breed so of course I jumped at the chance to adopt when one was turned in a few weeks ago. Gali is ~14, her original owner passed away and she was being kept by another family member who unfortunately was not able to provide the amount of care/maintenance that sphynx require. We have cleared up her respiratory and ear infections, trimmed and cleaned her nails (were so long they curled over into her paw pads :/ ), and had several baths. My main concern now is her skin: although it looks better than before she still has a LOT of black bumps, especially by her tail. Some I can squeeze out but not others. Also has a few larger bumps on her sides, tail, and under her chin (will attach pictures below). Should I try to pop them? Leave them alone? My vet does not have a lot of sphynx experience so I am open to any advice!

I do have an exfoliating pad I use during baths, but am scared of being too rough on her skin/scrubbing too much. I am considering trying some coconut oil for a prebath next time, is this a good idea? Is there any other creams or lotions I should be using? How do I know if her skin is too dry? Sorry if this is too many questions, am just trying to do right by my girl.
Thanks in advance!
Welcome! Many members prefer Hylyt pet shampoo. I did a search here on the site for you on Search Results for Query: black heads | Sphynxlair - hopefully there will be some good advice. :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Those do look like blackheads on the back. The other lumps look especially the ones on side look like sabaceous cysts. Our boy had one on his back. Our vet just said to leave it alone unless it changed. Bless you for giving this baby a forever home. I wouldn’t add oil. Try witch hazel.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Thank you so much for giving this girl a home.
You could try to use witch hazel for the dark blackheads. The ones on the side don’t look like blackheads to me. More like the kind of wrats older people do tend to get (sorry don’t know the word for it in English).

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello there , you are both very fortunate to have found each other ! Sounds like your going to be a great naked babies mummy , I think it’s great when we asked questions about our little ones and we are given sound advice by other naked babies mummies on our forum
Hugs
Anita & Cleo xxx

Traci Smith

Lairian
Welcome! Many members prefer Hylyt pet shampoo. I did a search here on the site for you on Search Results for Query: black heads | Sphynxlair - hopefully there will be some good advice. :)
Aweeeeeee someone to give kisses to.... just has “cutie-marks” that what my daughter calls her moles! So think of it as “cutie-marks”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk