Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My 4 year old male Sphynx who was totally naked before started getting furrylong

piercedp

Lairian
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
so I noticed this summer when he turned 4, that he started to get little random tufts of hair over his hind hips... Then some more showed up between his shoulders. It started creeping up his tail as well, & now after 6 months of growth it covers almost his whole torso, & is long enough now to push forward & backwards & even spike up a bit! He was a rescue so I don't have his history, though I met his mother who was totally hairless. I joked that he was going through puberty late (even though he's fixed) & it would stop... But it doesn't seem to be slowing. So, curious if you had ever heard of a Sphynx growing fur later in their life. Some said they noticed this during cold months (we do live in Ma. Though he is completely indoors) but it started during the summer months. I think he's adorable no matter what strange fur he sprouts, lol, but I was curious if this was common?

Attachments

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a beautiful fuzzy cape he has!
I heared before about sphynxes that get fuzz after a few years. I was told, but don't know a lot about it, it can be caused by hormones or temperature. My girl gets a fuzzy tail during winter but this looks different cause you said it started in summer.

Natasja

piercedp

Lairian
That's what I was surprised about, since a lot of people said they saw this happen seasonally. It's super soft, but just randomly placed, so I guess this is just going to be his new style, lol! It is really strange (but, I ❤ Strange so it's ok)!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I Love each and every one for their uniqueness.

piercedp

Lairian
@piercedp , your boy is adorable! What is his name?
Welcoming you to the lair family :)
Glad you jumped in and started posting :)

(My boy gets a fuzzier tail and ear tufts like grandpa from the monsters show)

Here is a good link
My sphynx cat is hairy and fuzzy! Why?
His name is Miko, & he also had the ear tufts & tail, feet, & nose furriestgen when he turned 4, POOF, hair everywhere! Thanks for the link!

Joanne

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I live in MA too. Bella does get fuzzy during the winter months, but loses most of it when it warms up.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi! Your boy has a beyoutifool fuzzy cape! My Cleopatra was pretty naked, except for her legs, face, ears and tail, and over her first 3 years, she has grown her Moth-Eaten Cape. Today, at age 4 1/2, she has her cape, but her haunches, sides, inner thighs and belly are totally naked. Every winter, the cape gets thicker, and she grows her Bumfro. That is a patch of longer, fuzzy, curly hair at the base of her tail. She is very proud of her fuzziness and stays much cleaner than Marcus, who is very nude.
Your boy is really pretty and his downy cape will help keep him warm and cleaner. Enjoy your Fuzzy Sphynx!
IMG_1447.JPG