Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My attack cat!

Adriana

Lairian
Ok guys Enzo just plaine hates my big boxer. Well it does not help that he is deaf either. He is so affraid he hides in my bathroom. I thought it would work out when Enzo would see that Dewey won't chase or bother him, but Enzo walks right up to him even if he is not even looking in his direction and scratches him. What is worse is that Dewey doesn't expect it because he can't hear the grwoling so he gets it all the time. Once before right below the eye. I feel horrible for poor Dewey. He is so frightened of Enzo he won't come out of the bathroom. What do I do when the dog is not the attacker, but the attackee?

susi794

Staff member
Ok, how long have you had Enzo? Just a short time, right? You might try keeping them seperate for awhile until Enzo gets a little more accustomed to his new home...let them smell each other's scents around the house without confrontation for awhile.then introduce them s-l-o-w-l-y for short periods of time until they get accustomed to each other....then gradually elongate the exposure until they are together all the time. That's what I had to do in the very beginning, when Boo came, he was afraid of the dogs, but it only took him a few days--and he never attacked the dogs--mostly growling and all show. Good luck with it!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It takes time when introducing a new animal into the house. Just be patient. It will all work out and they will be good friends someday soon.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope that they become best buddies!! It took my dogs a week or so to get used to Lemmy....he still attacks them though while playing. LOL

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sphynx aren't like normal cats - Many of them like to play with dogs!!!! Introducing them slowly, keep them seperated when they can't be supervised, give them both good treats when they're behaving around each other, they can learn to get along. I also have 2 deaf dogs, my Sphynx and my dogs play all the time! The Sphynx do like to tackle and attack the dogs, but they've learned not to use thier claws and teeth when they play, and my dogs have figured out it's all a game, so now they all get along.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sphynx aren't like normal cats - Many of them like to play with dogs!!!! Introducing them slowly, keep them seperated when they can't be supervised, give them both good treats when they're behaving around each other, they can learn to get along. I also have 2 deaf dogs, my Sphynx and my dogs play all the time! The Sphynx do like to tackle and attack the dogs, but they've learned not to use thier claws and teeth when they play, and my dogs have figured out it's all a game, so now they all get along.

Sophie plays with my mom's 2 IG's like that when I go visit her. She bops them in the head- claws in. Also she likes to hide in corners and "ambush" them since they don't see her and when she see's she's successfully startled them she retreats and leaves them alone. That's the extent of her "playing" so far but its all harmless!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Osiris LOVES the dogs LOL Him and Gem play all the time, he's very gentle with her, but when it comes to the others all bets are off ROFL He'll occasionally grab Hannah with his teeth, but she starts it! They'll run and chase for hours! Haley and Aiyana are best friends, they play together, sleep together, and if they can get away with it eat together! Oogie has no front claws, but he plays REALLY hard, Hannah loves it LOL Hannah loves playing hard!!!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Osiris LOVES the dogs LOL Him and Gem play all the time, he's very gentle with her, but when it comes to the others all bets are off ROFL He'll occasionally grab Hannah with his teeth, but she starts it! They'll run and chase for hours! Haley and Aiyana are best friends, they play together, sleep together, and if they can get away with it eat together! Oogie has no front claws, but he plays REALLY hard, Hannah loves it LOL Hannah loves playing hard!!!

That's great that they all get along so well and Osiris has really fit in with the bunch! He has a soft spot for Gem- he must know how special she is.

In my case my moms dogs are just too old now to be bothered with Sophie's kitten energy! But they do tolerate her so well and let her just bop them now and then. :LOL:

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That sounds like my old Afghan LOL Jamie doesn't mind the Sphynx, both Oogie and Osiris will try to play with her, she just rolls her eyes and ignores them LOL If they get really pesky, she'll just leave the room or go hide in her crate - They know better then to mess with Jamie when she's in the crate, and usually by the time they annoy her to that point they've lost interest and are on to their next victom LOL The boys team up! So funny! Osiris really has fit in very well here, if you didn't know and just came to my house, you'd think he'd been here for years! He's a great cat, I haven't had ANY of the behavioral problems they where having with him, he's been great about using his box, other then being a little rough when playing (but so is Oogie!), he's the perfect cat! He makes little Haley seem so much tiner LOL He's a big, leggy boy!

Adriana

Lairian
Well this morning we wake to find Enzo making a dootie on our boxer's bed while he's sleeping in it. Since he is deaf he did not even realize it. And Enzo still walks up to our Dewey to growl and scratch. We have them seperated. There is a kiddie gate, but poor Dewey our boxer watches us throught the gate and sure enough Mr. Enzo walks up and get him in the nose.

Back