Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

my baby is home!!!!

sfinky

Lairian
hi everyone and happy new year!

my little kitty (still no name) came home yesterday! im soooo happy and hes sooooo cute!

i have a few questions. how do i know if he is too cold? also what type of shampoo/soap can i use to wash him?

also his colouring is confusing me. he was advertised as a red tabby his brotheres were obvious tabbys but he was patchy. he has a small amount of orange fluff around his ears and white fuzz on his nose and tip of tail but on his back he has faint blue markings they are faint but defo there as are clear enough to see. will these stay or fade? do their colours ever change as they get older.

the ginger and blue confused me slightly a i have seen blue/black and white/pink and ginger and white/pink. but not blue, ginger and white?

thanks in advance for all your help!

TotenEngel

Banned
To be honest, I just feel Smeagol and can tell if he is chilly, you'll get used to what his normal temp feels like!
Colouring is hard to say without seeing a pic! My boy is a red tabby and white and that was a big part in what attracted me to him, he is really striking. Only saw one of his siblings and they were a tortie and white.
Shampoo wise it really depends what country you are in as to what is available, I use John Paul pet cleanse oatmeal and really like it (Its one of the guys from the Paul Mitchell salons!!) Though, keep an eye out as Sphynx Suds should be coming soon!!

Bella07

Banned
Congratulations!!! Or shall I say Concatulations! If you post a picture of your new baby, then we might be as to help with color some more. :ThumbsUp:

ktate88

Banned
Congratulations!!! :)

For the temperature it will take you time to get used to it. Make sure he has blankets to crawl under. If he is shivering of course put a shirt on him.

I wash Niles in an aloe and oatmeal bath. Earthbath makes some good ones.

Enjoy your baby :BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile:

bellasmom

Banned
Congrats!!! We want to see some photos!!
He will start to shiver when he is cold. Also if you are cold then he is too!

I use Baby shampoo. It can be a little dry for the winter so I use some lotion on her tail where she gets a dry sometimes..

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Post pics of him so I can see what color he is.
I use Sphynx Shampoo and Burts Bees with milk and shea butter.
I will be trying Sphynx Suds when it comes out.
It really depends on the cat also.
Some shampoos work better on certain cats.

sfinky

Lairian
hi and thanks for all your replies.

the pictures i have are not good light so you cant see. i will take some in daylight tomorrow.

the other thing is that i have suspicions that he is younger than i was told. but im not sure how you can tell.

hes been using the litter tray super and i started him on raw and he ate it with gusto! so hes doing well!! he sleeps lots tho is that normal?

Attachments

• DSC00626.jpg
    DSC00626.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00637.jpg
    DSC00637.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 74

sfinky

Lairian
i agree he does have tabby but the bit on his back that looks like a shadow is blue.

how old does he look to u. not the best photos for that i suppose or how can i tell his age?

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations- your boy is adorable! I'm not good with age or colors so I will let the experts here help you:BigSmile:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair! From what I can see he looks like a red tabby with white - look at that big splotch of white on his nose. I can't see the bluish shadow you were talking about. But that raises another question: if he really does have dark patches like you describe, is he really a male? Because what you're describing is coloring that generally happens only in females; it's quite rare in males but does happen from time to time (the males are sterile in those cases t0o). I'll be interested in seeing what gender your vet thinks he is.

I'd also like to see more pictures if possible, especially pictures that show his size in relation to known things (like sitting in your hand or beside a coffee cup). I'm not an expert in Sphynx babies but have lots of experience with Maine Coons, but my first impression is that your little guy is quite young, nowhere near 12 weeks old yet. Please bear in mind that's just an impression from what little I can see and that I may be wrong.

I rub coconut oil on especially dirty and dry areas, then bathe with Johnson's Baby Wash. The Wash is gentler than the Shampoo. Some folks rub coconut oil over the whole kitty before bathing and get really good results. There's lots of good advice here about bathing, just do a search for bath.

It's normal for kittens to sleep a lot. It's also not unusual for them to fall asleep wherever they happen to be, like dangling off the edge of a sofa.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats on new baby! Enjoy him.

Wow, he is tiny but then Merlin was so tiny when we brought him home and he was 12 wks.

Put up more pics when you can.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I'm really no help with the color issue. I'm still not exactly sure what color Butterball is. I just call him dirty.

But I seem to remember Butterball always getting under the covers when he was little. Not so much as he's gotten older. If little kitty is cold, he'll find the heat. Unless he's scared or shy. He hasn't been hiding since you brought him home has he?

It's normal for kitty to sleep. Get used to it. When you want to play, kitty is sleeping and vice versa. Just kidding. Kitty will soon learn your patterns and follow you everywhere. You won't get a moment alone. If you close the bathroom door, kitty is outside meowing. If you're eating, kitty will climb up on your shoulders so be sure and clip nails so you don't get a claw in the back. Butternuts claws me all the time. It hurts really bad but I'm so lazy I never clip his nails except when I give him a bath.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello sfinky and welcome to Sphynxlair! He looks awfully young, but it could just be the picture. Did the breeder not tell you how old he is? Thanks for joining our online Sphynx community!:ThumbsUp:

sfinky

Lairian
hi everyone.

the breeder told me he was 11 weeks?! after researching pictures of other kittens hes definatly not 11 weeks.

i will put some other photos.

hes doing well sleeping eating lots and playing and uses the litter box well. i will take him to the vet for a check up and jabs this month so will see what they say.

regarding boy or girl dont boy bits look different to girl bits?

glad you can see the blue bits as its difficult to see on camera, also he is red but it shows more when the flash is on dont know why.

a good idea is if you can post pictures of your kitten or cat when it was a kitten and the age so we can compare.

here is a photo of him in the curtains and next to coke can if thats any help

Attachments

• DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00670.jpg
    DSC00670.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 44

Gizzymom

Banned
I see the blue in the last pic... And I am not good at aging a kitten that young. I got Gizzy when he was 14-15 weeks and he was a lot bigger

This is him at 12 weeks... I believe

But your baby is gorgeous!!!! And yes, we would like to hear his name!!!:ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
I can see the blue--he looks to me to be a dilute bicolor or a Van. Does he have the blue on his tail and top of his head?
He looks pretty young to me too.

sfinky

Lairian
hi. thanks for your replies.

he has none on his head but he has a splodge on his neck. his tail looks tabby to me but the base is the blue colour only tabby when you look at the middle and tip.

he needs a really good bath (the grub looks orange) as he is quite dirty but i dont want him to catch a chill after.

hes been really active today and wrestling with me. is this ok as one of his moves involves mouthing is that ok to let him?

susi794

Staff member
Mouthing turns into biting, so be careful not to create a monster with rough playing. If his head and tail don't look blue, then he isn't a Van, but probably a bicolor.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am no expert, so I will just say that he is a cutie! :BigSmile:Did the breeder not tell you his date of birth, or give you paperwork or his veterinary booklet?

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for posting more pictures sfinky.

I'm really not good at guessing baby sphynx ages so I'll leave that to the people here who breed. I do remember meeting my Pedda when she was 11 weeks old and she was the tiniest thing too (but that didn't last long).

The biting while playing, and trying to wrestle with your hand, is perfectly normal. That's how he used to play with his littermates and it's part of how kittens learn to hunt and defend themselves. However, being normal doesn't mean that it's desirable! When your kitten exhibits a behavior or does something new, stop and take a second to think. Something like hand wrestling is really cute in a little kitten - but not so cute in an adult. So if you decide you don't want him attacking your hand when he's big, work on training him now. I recommend yelling NO and letting your hand go limp - and when he stops playing with it you can pull it away.

Now is also a good time to work on his scratching post manners and teaching him other behaviors, stuff like teaching him to stay off the top of the stove. And it's the perfect time to train him regarding his baths and toenail trimming.

Susi, I don't think he's a van either. He has too much coloring on his body to be a van. I see both blue and red on him and white too so he isn't a bicolor. I'd call him a blue/cream with white or a dilute calico because I don't see any tabby markings in the blue areas. Probably a dilute calico because the patches of color look rather large instead of more mottled like a blue/cream would be. But it's possible tabby markings are in the blue and not showing up in the pictures; if they are I'd call him a blue patched tabby with white.

The genitalia often looks androgynous in kittens under 2 weeks of age but the breeder should have been able to easily identify the gender by the time you got him. I still want to know what gender your vet says he is!

And when you take him in for his checkup have the vet take a good look at his tummy, kind of looks like he has an umbilical hernia.

He's a real cutie, what did you name him?

Back