Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My cat keeps getting crusty eyes

KKristen61

Lairian
Every once in a while my cat Mochi scratches her eye. Usually it crusts over like this and goes away after a few days. But this time it went over to her other eye too. I wipe it twice a day with warm water and a cotton ball but it comes back like this not long after.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so what do you do?

I have a vet appointment for her in a few days but since this happens somewhat often, I wanted to see other options.

Attachments

• F12B4A77-C242-4DC7-AD03-FE1B74860651.jpeg
    F12B4A77-C242-4DC7-AD03-FE1B74860651.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 78

Sheldon13

Staff member
It actually looks like a little scabs to me. Which would indicate that she’s rubbing excessively and irritating the skin. I would guess she’s doing this because her eyes are itchy or in pain. It’s good you are taking her to the vet, so you can get medication if needed to treat the symptoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Do you crate your baby at all? I would have guessed it is from rubbing against something. I have seen it happen when in carrier, crates and even when in a cage after a procedure. Poor baby. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KKristen61

Lairian
It actually looks like a little scabs to me. Which would indicate that she’s rubbing excessively and irritating the skin. I would guess she’s doing this because her eyes are itchy or in pain. It’s good you are taking her to the vet, so you can get medication if needed to treat the symptoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Originally I thought it was a scab because she scratched her eye, but then it went to her other eye and that is what concerned me

KKristen61

Lairian
Do you crate your baby at all? I would have guessed it is from rubbing against something. I have seen it happen when in carrier, crates and even when in a cage after a procedure. Poor baby. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No I never crate her. She scratched her eye when she was itching her face. This happens once in a while but I always cut her nails so I don’t know what else to do. I put nail caps on her but she either pulls some of them off or they fall off and that’s normally when she scratches her eye.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@KKristen61 ouch, looks itchy and painful. My boy Toa has hayfever and his eyes can look like this too. I use eyedropes prescribted by the vet when his eyes start to turn red.
Cleaning with water untill you went to the vet is a good idea.

KKristen61

Lairian
@KKristen61 ouch, looks itchy and painful. My boy Toa has hayfever and his eyes can look like this too. I use eyedropes prescribted by the vet when his eyes start to turn red.
Cleaning with water untill you went to the vet is a good idea.
Luckily it doesn’t seem to bother her too much. Her eyes are discharging a fluid that’s a reddish color and have always done it since I got her so I assumed it was normal but it seems like the “scabs” are just the dried discharge. I could be wrong because if it’s always been like that then why would it crust over like this? I hope the vet can help her out

KKristen61

Lairian
As you can see, Mochi is doing much better!! Her eyes have completely cleared up and she’s back to her normal self.

Thanks everyone for all the help and good vibes~ Mochi and I appreciate it!!

Back