Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My cat will not poo in litter box

gwee

Lairian
Koko is three and we rescued her from someone who couldn't care for her. I was in touch with her original breeder and we used the wood pellet litter. She was fine at first then started pooing on the bare floor. The breeder said it was because she didn't like the smell of her pee and to change the litter more often. Even changing the litter daily or twice daily she still goes on the floor. Today I have two litter boxes out and will keep one of them pristine (she already peed in both) in the hopes of getting her back to pooing in the box. She is happy and healthy otherwise. Any suggestions?

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Two litter boxes is what worked for me, one of my babies does not like peeing and pooping in the same box. Pee smell isn't an issue for him but he won't use a box with poop in it. Does she have any particular location for pooping? Maybe leave one of the boxes there if possible or if there's something attractive about the place like some comfy cloth/carpet try removing it. Litter box locations are also an issue, they don't like them near food and like to feel safe/have escape routes. Oh, does the box/boxes have a top part? Mine won't use covered boxes, apparently a common issue. Marcel likes to squat on the edges of the box to keep his paws clean, little prince(ss).

Any way to find out which litter her last owner used? They also don't like quick changes so what she's used to now might work best, probably also stressed about moving which can cause potty issues. I've heard good things about Dr.Elseys cat attract litter here for potty training/re-training. Try to give her a treat/praise whenever she does her business in the right place and maybe place her in a box after eating/when she looks like she wants to go.

Medical issues are also possible if it's a sudden change, especially if she looks uncomfortable pooping/consistency or frequency has changed etc.

Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box this might be helpful

Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@gwee hello and welcome again. Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Litter saved my life (or my kittens as I was ready to kill her for peeing and pooping everywhere but a litter box). LOL Not really "kill" but I just couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Get yourself the Cat Attract Litter by Dr. Elsey's.

But no matter what you use, keep that litter box clean, clean, clean.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Great info thus far, hope you figure it out! (y)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@gwee, great advise given

also if you use a hooded covered box , I remove the flap
Many members use Dr elseys unscented in the blue bag

My moms adoptee at wemt outside the box
We switched her to the Dr elseys , removed the plastic bag liner and Viola
No more out of box issues

Also , some don't like litter box deodorizer sprinkle powders

When I get s new adoptee I away go slow at free roaming house
Combine to one "safe room " bedroom , bathroom where one of the boxes will be permanent
And treat / happy verbal praise (train like a dog ) as soon as they step out of the box
To this day , I still do this randomly

* I always recommend a baseline wellness check with your vet and a poo sample and urine test

Be sure to confirm with the vet * No Ketamine anesthesia ( rebound effect on heart )
( many use "ISO" isloflurane instead )

My first adopted kitty also had two boxes - she would pee in clay litter and poo in the yesterday's news litter box
I got them on one litter now - dr elseys unscented blue bag and have a couple of extra litter boxes

Are you using the same litter , style of box , location of box as her previous home?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hopefully having two litterboxes will make Koko poo in the litterbox again! Fingers and paws crossed for you

Pierre

Lairian
Aww I hope you find a solution. The two litter trays worked for us with a lot of "placing him in the tray" everytime we caught him sniffing. Not had any issues since touch wood. Hope you find something that works quickly :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Pierre I'm happy to hear that things are better in the litter box department. :)