Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

hannahandbaxter

Lairian
Hi everyone! My hairless cat is 3 years old, and has playfully bitten at his tail since he was a baby. It appears from the outside that he does not realize it is his tail, and will swat and bite at it. The past few months, he has started to be more aggressive with his tail, attacking it to the point that it would sometimes bleed. There was a particular incident about 2 months ago where he would not stop biting it, it was bleeding a ton and I had to take him to the emergency vet where he got stitches. When I took him to his regular vet, they told me that they believed this behavior to be anxiety related, and once he got his stitches out and his cone off, he started prozac. He has been on prozac for 7 weeks now and it really does not seem to be helping (and also seems to have made his feet extremely fuzzy). If he catches sight of his tail, he will swat at it and bite it until it bleeds, and sometimes even still after that. The vet told me it could take between 4-8 weeks for the prozac to fully start working in his brain, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has any suggestions. I know he doesn't realize that his tail is part of his body, but it is so stressful to watch him self-harm this way. I will just all of a sudden hear him crying out in pain from biting his tail so hard.... Has anyone experienced this with their cats???

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have seen a few members over the years with this. Here is one older post. In the search bubble type in hyperesthesia and you will see several others come up that you can read through. Please keep us updated as your info will help others in the future. Several members who have experienced this are no longer active in the community so you as a new resource will be great@hannahandbaxter

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
Hi everyone! My hairless cat is 3 years old, and has playfully bitten at his tail since he was a baby. It appears from the outside that he does not realize it is his tail, and will swat and bite at it. The past few months, he has started to be more aggressive with his tail, attacking it to the point that it would sometimes bleed. There was a particular incident about 2 months ago where he would not stop biting it, it was bleeding a ton and I had to take him to the emergency vet where he got stitches. When I took him to his regular vet, they told me that they believed this behavior to be anxiety related, and once he got his stitches out and his cone off, he started prozac. He has been on prozac for 7 weeks now and it really does not seem to be helping (and also seems to have made his feet extremely fuzzy). If he catches sight of his tail, he will swat at it and bite it until it bleeds, and sometimes even still after that. The vet told me it could take between 4-8 weeks for the prozac to fully start working in his brain, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has any suggestions. I know he doesn't realize that his tail is part of his body, but it is so stressful to watch him self-harm this way. I will just all of a sudden hear him crying out in pain from biting his tail so hard.... Has anyone experienced this with their cats???

A past kitty of mine had a hyperesthesia diagnosis and medication really helped. The one that helped the most was Keppra. Have you considered taking your kitty to a neurology vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SuzyQJUne

Lairian
Yes, I'm in the same boat. My cat has been mutilating the tip of her tail for years but it's gotten worse!. Twice today....she is an indoor cat 6 years old gets lots of pets, love and attention. She has her brother to play with and has lots of toys!. I 'm on Social Security so I dont have money to get blood tests, allergy tests or for her to see a neurologist. I feel horrible hearing her scream in pain at 3 am! Then I get up hold her, clean her tail put a bandage on it but she takes it off in seconds. I don't know what to do!!!!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SuzyQJUne , welcome to the lair family. oh my heart, we are here for you. please do not hesitate to start your own thread with questions, pics, etc. I don't want your post lost in an older thread. members have been dealing with same issue will surely chime in. we are here for you biggest hugs n head smooches.

(click on the link, post thread box upper right, fill in info then bottom post thread. )

@Catzzzmeow , @Sheldon13 for info/advice

Last edited:
Back