Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cberube

Lairian
Hello,

My boy sphynxs skin has been bumpy and raw looking. I rehomed him and I've had him for about a month the previous lady used dawn dish soap for his baths. I have given him two baths with dawn and switched to baby Magic Johnson soap. Now by his ear is super raw and bumpy looking. When I rub him he doesn't seem in pain. Wondering if anyone knows what this rash is and how can I treat him. My next idea is to just use warm bottle during the bath but the lady before me had no issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 59

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Here is a thread that might help with some skin issues Sphynx Skin Conditions

You might want to give your baby's skin a break from baths until irritation settles. Seeing a vet might be the next step. It looks raw and red. You might need to look for allergy issues. It could simply be laundry detergent you are using etc, so it could take a while to rule things out.

Patti

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Like I mentioned it could take a long time to figure out what is irritating the skin, so change one thing at a time and give it time to see if it starts to clear. I a couple of times was too generous with laundry detergent and it did not rinse out thoroughly and we paid for it for 2 weeks until I got it under control.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. It's sad your baby's skin
loos this way. Sorry. I would just use a warm cloth and wash his
face and eyes daily. I would keep the insides of is ears clean twice a week.
Use a warm baby wipe and clean his bum.
If it don't start looking better in 5-7 days, I would take him to the Vet.
Have allergic test done, blood work, and a skin scrape.
What food do you feed him, litter do you use, any cleaning products
he could have come into contact with??????
Dawn dish detergent, isn't, good to wash him with or any animal as
far as that goes. It strips their natural oils away. They use it once or
twice to clean the wildlife with, that's been in oil spills. Then, they
turn them loose. HyLyt Shampoo is a excellent Shampoo for sphynx
or any animal. But, great for sphynx. There is no soap in it.
Here is a link you can get it from, or just Google it. Check the prices
and s&h.

Dog Grooming Supplies | HyLyt Shampoo, Creme Rinse, and Bath Spray

They also have the HyLyt rinse, it's very good to use after the bath.
If your sphynx has or gets dry skin. Please keep us updated about your
baby.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

My boy sphynxs skin has been bumpy and raw looking. I rehomed him and I've had him for about a month the previous lady used dawn dish soap for his baths. I have given him two baths with dawn and switched to baby Magic Johnson soap. Now by his ear is super raw and bumpy looking. When I rub him he doesn't seem in pain. Wondering if anyone knows what this rash is and how can I treat him. My next idea is to just use warm bottle during the bath but the lady before me had no issues.
It's odd that shampoo would do that, however its not out of the question, have you changed anything else since he has been home, food, litter? :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cberube , awh-- healing vibes sent
Great advise given
I also looove hylyt soap free hypoallergenic shampoo
Have you changed food or litter brands?
Rash anywhere else? Feet, Toes?
Dr Elseys litter works great too and used by many here - hypoallergenic and virtually dust free perfume free
I get the litter for $14 for 40 lbs free shipping over &49 at chewy.com and it's here in 2 days

****Many of us keep on hand non toxic Vetericyn spray -you can spray gently but be sure to cover his eyes with a cloth
Or spray onto a cotton round and dab gently-

When inquiring with your vet, two ointments I like to keep on hand-
Entederm ointment for skin (and terramycin opthalmic ointment for eyes- to keep on hand)

I swear by Vetericyn now get the Vetericyn VF formula - no Rx needed for the vetericyn
And Entederm ointment Rx

A wellness check at the vet may get some answers and meds on board to help him heal him quickly

Here is where I get my Vetericyn VF - ( supposedly 2x strength of regular wound wash)

Vetericyn VF Wound and Infection Treatment for Dogs and Cats

I got the big spray bottle - best $30 bucks I spent for my zoo
And they have lower min for free shipping- I use this site for other products too

Please keep us posted!
Ps- thanks for rehoming and opening your heart and home to him!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited: