Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My dog's a Champion!!!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As some of you may know i own an English Bulldog that we show.

well guess what??? today she got her CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!! i'm SOOOOO happy!!!

and to top of the GREAT news: SHES PREGNANT!!!!!!! :)

i am one proud momma!! :Laugh:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks mew's. Yes, AKC (from my understanding) recently started offering Grand Champion status.
We plan to keep a puppy and will show her. and maybe presue her grand champion status. although that isn't necessarily a needed thing. we'll see.

In order to become a champion in the AKC-dog world you need 15 points. Within those 15 points you need 2 Major Wins. (ie, more then 16 dogs, or to win over a male dog).

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is so different from showing cats.
My vet used to show dogs and he said they do not need to grand.
Many cat breeders do not grand their cats either.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
yes, your vet was right. a grand champion is not necessary. but i think recently AKC was offered new reasoning for wanting to grand your dog. I'm not to that point yet with understanding all the reasoning behind it.... Valerie is our first bully, and this is our first litter. we've only been doing bulldogs for about 2 1/2 years and are still learning a lot of the fundamentals of it. We have only been actively showing since October. roughly 1 show/month.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats! Getting an AKC championship is quite an accomplishment. Whereas getting a championship on a cat is easy and really doesn't mean anything outside of proving that the cat was put into 6 different rings and is registered with that association.

Bella07

Banned
Congratulations!!!

I actually have never met an English Bulldog, until Yesterday! So, it's funny that you brought it up. It was a boy, and he was so floppy, and cute. He kept jumping up all me, with slobber hanging out of his mouth, he was such a sweetie pie :)

So, in a little less than 9 weeks, you'll have puppies, how exciting! You have to promise to share us with lots of pictures :)

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Marlene- I have never been familiar with cat shows. I can't judge, but all i know is that AKC dog shows are a lot of work! you're never guarantee a win. and usually only 2 dogs get points. Such as her show yesterday. her nephew won best of breed& winner dog and Valerie (our dog) won best of opposite & winner's bitch, so out of 38 dogs, they were the only two to accomplish anything at the show. I mean you can take your class, but you don't get points unless you get a big win.
We are hobby breeders and exhibitors, but have spent well over $600 on 1 trip where she got NOTHING. so sometimes the losses are REALLY hard!

Bella- So happy you finally got to meet a bully. There's no love, like bully love!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! it took us about 9 months to get her championship doing about 1 show/month. some people show WAY more then that... although i just can't justify traveling and all the expenses associated with going all that often. 1 show/month is plenty for us lol

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm familiar with dog shows, my family was big into bullmastiffs when I was a kid. So I got dragged to dog shows most every weekend and know just how big of an accomplishment an AKC or CKC championship is. It's huge.

A feline championship is different. I'm mostly familiar with CFA. There all you need to do is collect 6 winners ribbons. If you're the only Open in your class you're guaranteed those ribbons, and since a two-day show has 6-8 rings it's easily possible to get a Championship in a single show, unless your cat is disqualified for some reason. And truthfully, I've seen plenty of cats with disqualifying faults get Championships, so we can't even say that championships prove the cat doesn't have a disqualifying fault. Now a Grand Championship or Grand Premiership is much harder to get but still aren't anywhere near as difficult as an AKC or CKC championship for a dog.

Nair Bare

Lairian
.... but all i know is that AKC dog shows are a lot of work! you're never guarantee a win.... but you don't get points unless you get a big win.
We are hobby breeders and exhibitors, but have spent well over $600 on 1 trip where she got NOTHING. so sometimes the losses are REALLY hard!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! it took us about 9 months to get her championship doing about 1 show/month. some people show WAY more then that... although i just can't justify traveling and all the expenses associated with going all that often. 1 show/month is plenty for us lol

To finish a dog in nine months is an amazing feat. Congrats are well deserved.

Someone asked me once what it costs to show a Great Dane to its' 15 point championship. So I added all the receipts from dog showing and it easily came out to over $1,000.00 a point. And this was averaged out in the 1980's and I was splitting the costs with my friend who was traveling with me while showing her Malamute

I was just notified that my next show hopeful was not in the litter born the other day. SO far I have made the short list of show homes for the last four litters I wanted a pup from. It has been over a year now and the color gods are not cooperating . The search continues.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was just notified that my next show hopeful was not in the litter born the other day. SO far I have made the short list of show homes for the last four litters I wanted a pup from. It has been over a year now and the color gods are not cooperating . The search continues.

All the waiting between litters must be frustrating in itself. I can't imagine the added disappointment that comes when the color you want is not there. You have strong will power not to give in. What are you hoping for?

Nair Bare

Lairian
All the waiting between litters must be frustrating in itself. I can't imagine the added disappointment that comes when the color you want is not there. You have strong will power not to give in. What are you hoping for?

And this is why they call Harlequins the heart-break color. The odds of getting a show marked pup in a litter are fairly slim and usually the breeder will take the best show marked for themselves of course. Next, if you get the sex you were hoping for, you are really lucky. But at the cost of showing today, I will try to hold out for the pup of my dreams. Most great breeders who I respect are not mass producers but just breed for their own needs so the wait is very long and everyday I get older and older. Drat.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
And this is why they call Harlequins the heart-break color. The odds of getting a show marked pup in a litter are fairly slim and usually the breeder will take the best show marked for themselves of course. Next, if you get the sex you were hoping for, you are really lucky. But at the cost of showing today, I will try to hold out for the pup of my dreams. Most great breeders who I respect are not mass producers but just breed for their own needs so the wait is very long and everyday I get older and older. Drat.

Harlequins are gorgeous. Keep visualizing your ideal puppy being conceived and don't give up. It will happen...hopefully sooner than later!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Marlene- thanks for explaning the cat-shows to me. i have never been to one, but would LOVE to go. although i know i'd have an asthma attack lol. i'm SO allergic to both cats and dogs, i have to dope myself up just to show our bully!! by time i could out of the ring i have a rash on the insides of both forearms.... oh the love of our animals :)

Nare Bair- Thank you very much for the support. It seems like such a long road! although i know 9 months isn't terribly long.. but you know the poeple who do 3-4 shows a month, who finish their dogs within 2 months, etc... financially i cannot be that person. Let alone my step kids, who enjoy going, hotel expense, eating out, entry fees, grooming supplies.... oh good lord! lol
I definitely believe the $1,000/show!!! Ideally we don't spend THAT much but it's definitely possible!

Not to mention the breeding process of Bullies!! They can't mate naturally, so you have to artifically insiminate them! Our stub service was $800- to a dog from New Jersey. Listed as the 20th bulldog in the nation! (which we just found out, nice surprise!)... our first breeding didn't take, due to dead sperm. although, when that happens you get a free stub service BUT you DONT get the money back for vet bills and shipping! shipping itself is $70/delivery.. and you usually do 2-3 shipments! along with $40 hormone tests, which you do 2-4 times.. transurvical procedures usually done 1-3 times @ $150/each, ultra sound $60/each... AND to top it off a C-section at $600-$800 depending on situation!!................
and if you ever wondered why bully's are so expensive..... this is why. they cannot breed naturally, therefore hobby breeders and/or kennel owners have to spend SO much for the love of having puppies in their home.... but it'll be worth it once we see the ultra sound tomorrow and count the number of heart beats!!

Also Nare Bair- good luck on your pup.. hopefully you get your pick soon!

Nair Bare

Lairian
Not to mention the breeding process of Bullies!!
Also Nare Bair- good luck on your pup.. hopefully you get your pick soon!

I have heard the horror stories on breeding Bulldogs and you have my respect for they are not an easy breed to procreate. Blessings for your upcoming litter. And I'm doing my fertility dance for you as I type.

Usually the most difficult thing for me in obtaining a new puppy is determinating what its' name will be. Well, I finally have decided what his name will be (has only taken over a year of constant thinking) and now I have a name but NO puppy. I want puppy breath!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OOOH I LOVE puppy breath!!! Everyone always makes fun of me but i LOVE it!!!!!

What dogs do you breed? are your a kennel or hobby breeder?

As for getting a pup back, is that stated in your contract? When i first bought our bully i had NO intention of showing her or breeding her! our contracts stats we must breed her or fix her. and that if we breed her then our breeder gets 2 pick-pups! of course i didnt think anything about it, as i signed the original contract. She was a Valentine's gift for my fiance. Anyway, once we give him 2 pups, we will have paid $7500 for her!!! ugh! That price makes me sick LOL!

How did you determine how many pups did you get back? and if in the event that you get a pup back, what are the odds of you turning around and resaling that dog? It seems to happen pretty often in my area.... i don't think our breeder would turn around and sell our puppies, BUT unlike you, i think even if he didnt like anyone, he would still take them and then sell the ones he didnt love, ya know?

Nair Bare

Lairian
I do not breed but show in conformation and obedience. The breeders from whom I request puppies from are personally known to me and we do not solely rely on contracts to enforce our wants and wishes. We know each other from over 40 years on the show circuit.

I am honored to make their "short list" for the placement of their pups, but Mother Nature usually has her say in what is available. This last year, I've been on about five litters' short list but all these litters have been very small. Heck, the impossible does take a little more time to do. This last litter was from the top winning dog in the nation for the last 10 years and the bitch has just as many titles too. But there was only three pups and the show hopeful went to the owner of the bitch as is customary since these breeders usually only breed to replenish their lines.
Believe me there are times when I just want to experience the wonderful scent of puppy breath, but I have to keep the big picture in mind.
After hours of pedigree research and finding CHIC certified Danes, my mind is all a blur and I have to start this procedure all over again for the next possible mating. But I have the name now, so the puppy can't be far behind.....right?

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well i hope all the best for you! It was VERY hard for us to not buy a puppy while waiting to breed our bulldog. We bred the first time around, but the seman was dead upon arrival... so we waited another 9 months to breed. her cycle isn't regular. Thankfully we just found out today we WILL HAVE at least 5 puppies!!!!!!! we are SOOO excited!!!

Back