Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My First Sphynx Kitty

saintbabby

Lairian
So, I'm new to the Sphynx breed. I grew up with at least a few cats around the house all the time, so I know the basics about keeping cats. Keeping the litter just right, getting the right food, making little spots around the house for perching, climbing, and playing, cat-proofing the house to a certain extent and all that. Other than sphynxes needing more bathing, ear cleaning, eating a bit more food because of their metabolism, and needing a heated spot in the house to stay warm, is there anything in particular that I should know? Also, as a resident of Oklahoma, there aren't that many breeders around my area, I'm prepared to travel a bit to find the right kitten. There's a breeder outside of Tulsa that has some kittens that will be ready for adoption in about a month (here's the website: http://barecatssphynx.com/). I have my eye on the bug-eyed red and white male. He sure is cute! Plus, the breeder told me that his personality is very friendly, and that he's a real cuddle bug, which would be great, I think.

So, what does everyone think? There's another breeder located in Oklahoma (http://furlessfelines.com) but I don't particularly care for that "look" of sphynx. I realize that its the personality of the cat that really matters, but if it looks angry all the time.. eh, I don't know.

I'd like to get as much input from you lot as possible, so please type type type away. Thanks in advance, everyone!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hello fellow Oklahoman.

I'm a Veterinary Technician from Tulsa that relocated to OKC. I've looked at both of the breeders that you're interested in and I chose to go elsewhere because they charge an acceptable amount for their babies...but they don't ensure their adults are free from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (which is a major problem with this breed and genetic). Its devastating and it can mean losing a kitten or an adult abruptly to this cardiac issue. IMO, there's no reason to not test when it can be ruled out in breeders. Therefore, I purchased my first Sphynx from Theresa Abeita at Abeitagatos. She's a wonderful breeder and all of her sphynx are routinely tested for HCM and communicable diseases such as feline leukemia and feline aids. All babies are vaccinated by a veterinarian and receive multiple exams before going home with their new parents.

About a month ago I miraculously found Baldwin's brother and sister from the same litter in a rescue in Kentucky. We spent a weekend driving from OKC to Kentucky to get them (close to 2000 miles in totality). So, we now have three.

Make sure to do your research. It could save you alot of heartache in the long run. I know one member here in particular that's lost a cat to HCM. I've seen quite a few in Veterinary Medicine that have been diagnosed--some pre- and some post-mortem. If its preventable, there's just no reason to risk it.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyp-cardio.html
http://dsl.org/hcm/

ETA: I think I found the male you're talking about on the website (lower right hand corner?). Remember that while he may be cute, "bug eyed" isn't breed standard and a kitten with a defect (even cute) may be a sign of poor breeding stock (which should never happen with this breed, we should only be trying to BETTER the line) and may be a precursor for other problems.

On the other hand, this kitten looks like he was just REALLY attentive for the picture. It may not be the case at all for this particular guy, which BTW, is the gender that I prefer. Males rock!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the wonderful world of sphynx, Saintbabby! I'm a new sphynx owner too (only had my sphynx for 5 months now). Like you, I've had cats (mostly Siamese) all my life but having a sphynx has really opened me up to a whole new world of love, laughs, and whimsy. It sounds like you've already done a lot of research on the care of sphynx cats, so you're already ahead of the game. The only thing I would caution you on is if you decide to buy a cat from a breeder, do investigate that breeder's reputation thoroughly before handing over a down payment. I have heard of too many people (some who are members here) who have gotten swindled or ended up with a sick or poor quality cat because they were dealing with a bad breeder. To check on breeders, you may want to check here with some of our members or post a message on the Yahoo sphynx rescue group. I don't know for sure but I think the Yahoo group keeps a list of good breeders. Here's the link to the group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/sphynxrescue/ Of course the folks there may try to encourage you to consider a rescue instead.

Brooke

Banned
Welcome to the forum! Like the rest of us, once you get your first sphynx, I have no doubt you'll be hooked on the breed for a lifetime!

I agree with PitRottMommy, and personally would only buy from a breeder that is scanning their cats for HCM. (I've lost one of my cats to the disease, it was devastating and could possibly have been avoided - his sire was a carrier)

Here's a link to a thread on this forum where we discussed questions to ask breeders:

http://sphynxlair.com/showthread.php?t=342

Good luck on your search! Please keep us posted!! :ThumbsUp:

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Otie is three monthes old now, would I be able to have my vet scan him for HCM?

I searched for my baby for about two years and honestly it was worth the wait. Your in great hands for any questions you may have. Your going to love your Sphynx adventure!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Otie is three monthes old now, would I be able to have my vet scan him for HCM?

Yes and no. HCM screening can be done on any pet, technically. Yours is a prime case of why its beneficial to screen the adults...because babies aren't exactly the best candidates for screening. The most effective screen is done through ultrasound and because of the nature of the test...these guys can't be sedated. Therefore, your pet must be willing and able to lie still for 10-15 minutes. In addition, their hearts are much smaller at 3 months old than they are at 12 months old (when it should be almost fully developed). Therefore, the chances for a bad screen (read that to mean inconclusive) are pretty good. The best time to scan cats for HCM starts at 15 months of age. However, cats CAN die of HCM far before then. If you'll visit the past thread regarding the Sphynx HCM database, you'll find that some kittens of very popular (and well-known!) lines died before the age of 1 year. I, personally, would not pursue HCM screening until at least the age of 15 months OR if your vet hears even the slightest murmur. HCM doesn't ALWAYS sound off with a murmur, but this is one of the best "outside" techniques we have for diagnostics.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
I got my first sphynx last December and plan on getting another one.
Make sure you get a sphynx from a breeder that does HCM scans.
I know breeders that lost sphynx to HCM.
I also know other people that lost sphynx to HCM.
You can join this group also.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sphynx-Friends/?yguid=148984634
I joined after last October after I picked Cleo.
The people are all nice and some of the breeders have kittens right now.[COLOR]

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to the site.
I got my first sphynx last December and plan on getting another one.
Make sure you get a sphynx from a breeder that does HCM scans.
I know breeders that lost sphynx to HCM.
I also know other people that lost sphynx to HCM.
You can join this group also.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sphynx-Friends/?yguid=148984634
I joined after last October after I picked Cleo.
The people are all nice and some of the breeders have kittens right now.[COLOR]

I also looked at the websites of those breeders - I wouldn't buy a kitten from either just based on their websites. As everyone else is mentioning, HCM scans are a BIG deal, if a breeder will just sit and tell me there's "no need for health testing" or "my cats are healthy" without showing heart scans and vet records to prove it, I go elsewhere!!!! You may end up having to go further away, or even flying to pick up your kitten, but in the end, it'll be worth it!!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our site saintbabby, and thanks for joining us! Gook luck in your search for your first sphynx just keep in mind they are like potato chips and you can not have just 1:ThumbsUp:

saintbabby

Lairian
Thanks, everyone for your input! It's really helpful and all. Now, I know I said I would be willing to travel for the right kitten, but as I don't have a car (i live in a college town.. public transportation here rocks, and besides, I have a nice bike to help where the bus leaves off) and I would be relying on the charity of my friends. So, travelling for the right cat means Kansas, Arkansas, Texas, or MAYBE Colorado, New Mexico, or Missouri. I really can't ask a friend to drive a few hundred miles for meee and a caat. Along with that, I feel very uncomfortable having a kitten shipped. I just don't know about that.. It seems like an unnecessary stress on the poor beast. Also, my googling skills are limited, and I keep seeming to run across the same breeder websites which have already proven untrustworthy. I want a quality cat, and I'm willing to pay for it. I realize that I'm not only paying for the value of a life (to take it a little deeper, CAN you put a price on that?) but a service provided of bringing the cat into being through careful breeding, and taking care of it in the nursery until it finds a new home . I know it costs quite a bit to take care of a cat, let alone buy it in the first place. So... suggestions anyone?

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks, everyone for your input! It's really helpful and all. Now, I know I said I would be willing to travel for the right kitten, but as I don't have a car (i live in a college town.. public transportation here rocks, and besides, I have a nice bike to help where the bus leaves off) and I would be relying on the charity of my friends. So, travelling for the right cat means Kansas, Arkansas, Texas, or MAYBE Colorado, New Mexico, or Missouri. I really can't ask a friend to drive a few hundred miles for meee and a caat. Along with that, I feel very uncomfortable having a kitten shipped. I just don't know about that.. It seems like an unnecessary stress on the poor beast. Also, my googling skills are limited, and I keep seeming to run across the same breeder websites which have already proven untrustworthy. I want a quality cat, and I'm willing to pay for it. I realize that I'm not only paying for the value of a life (to take it a little deeper, CAN you put a price on that?) but a service provided of bringing the cat into being through careful breeding, and taking care of it in the nursery until it finds a new home . I know it costs quite a bit to take care of a cat, let alone buy it in the first place. So... suggestions anyone?
Well, there are more options then just shipping ;) I'm a bit fan of flying WITH a cat! Really not any more stressful that way then a car ride, as you're with your kitty the entire time, so that might be an option if you can find a breeder willing to meet you at an airport! I do alot of Italian Greyhound rescue, I've flown all over the country when just the right home for a paticular dog came along - I refuse to ship, and I refuse to place a dog with someone I haven't met in person - This way I can meet both of those terms, and the dog still gets a wonderful home! Something you may want to consider!

PitRottMommy

Banned

I would highly recommend NOT letting distance limit you to the RIGHT pet. We've traveled a long ways for ours and they were very worth it.

Baldwin came by Uship.com. Try searching that website for information, it may fit your needs. You pay a particular person who has been bonded for this type of work to drive from their doorstep to your doorstep. It cost us about $150 to get Baldwin from Kentucky to OKC and it was done overnight (and the guy was awesome! I'd been in a wreck that day and he pulled over and slept so that we would have time to be discharged from the hospital and home when he made it there at 6am).

I recommend going through TICA and CFA's websites for HCM screening breeders. I'm not sure about everyone else but I appreciate a breeder that spends some $$$ on advertising. Makes me fairly confident when they're willing to put their name out there. I'd definitely check out Abeitagatos.com (she's in Kentucky). There are a few breeders in Tx that I can direct you away from...but I won't mention their names here on the open forum. Blake Gipson of Colorado is a fantastic breeder. Had Buck and Buffy not come up for adoption, we'd have been looking to him for another kitten (actually, it would be a tossup between he and Theresa...we were already inquiring through her as well). Above all, also consider adopting. There are tons of animals out there that need a home and many of them come from the same lines you'd be purchasing in to. I used to check Craigslist, Hoobly and Kijiji routinely for pets that needed rehoming that I could obtain a history on.

Brooke

Banned

Hi Saintbabby,
I'm glad to hear you're not considering shipping as an option. I worked as a veterinary assistant for several years and saw (more than once) animals that were carelessly placed by the airline in the non-climate controlled section of the cargo hold and as a result did not survive the flight. That being said, taking the kitten on board a plane with you is a GREAT option, though you have to figure the added cost of a plane ticket into your purchase price...

Keep plugging away, doing your research, I just know the right sphynx will find his way to you. It will definitely be worth it!! Good luck. :Smile:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Before I got Cleo I was only looking for breeders in California.
Cleo was shipped from the east coast and everything was fine.
Her breeder cancelled twice because the temperature was to cold.
It is better to be safe then sorry.
I know of bad stories were the cats died also.
My husband worked for a airline and that was the reason I was only looking out here.
I am looking for a show quality sphynx right now have not found one yet.
There is one option but I need more options.
You need to be careful there are so many bad breeders around.
There are people that get on the plane with the kitten and bring it also.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would highly recommend NOT letting distance limit you to the RIGHT pet. We've traveled a long ways for ours and they were very worth it.

I completely agree. I live in the DC area and I had to drive up to Queens Ny for Meecho. When I went looking there were no breeders in Virginia at all and the one lady in Maryland didn't have any kittens available. I had spread out my search to PA, NC,SC, NJ,OH and KY and honestly I probably wouldn't gone to another country to get the right baby. :BigSmile:

saintbabby

Lairian
http://www.freewebs.com/sleekatscattery/

what about these guys? they seem legit, especially with all their information, even about stuff like cat food recalls and poisonous houseplants. anyways, I think they seem good, but they ARE in Massachussets. Any other suggestions? I mean, if I'm going to consider Mass, I might as well consider other far-off breeders. anyone? anyone?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Those are Don Sphynx/Donsky and Peterbalds.
I can try to get info on them.
These are different then normal sphynx.
Do you plan on showing?
If you do these cats can not be shown in CFA.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well I think I'm the only member here who actually doesn't own a "sphynx" but a peterbald. I honestly didn't know there was a difference until I joined here and I don't think there really is one except some exceptions to the hair when I did my research. I personally LOVE my peterbald. But I believe and I'm not positive they mostly come from the siamese family (at least Meecho is) so be prepared to have a talker. I'm not talking about little bit of talking, I'm talking about they never really stop making noise. Meecho is always talking or purring or snoring :Laugh:.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If your really not to concerned about distance here is a link to the breeder that made Meecho. I didn't actually buy Meecho from her as the orginal owner bought her and then less then a month later found they had to move and that is how I got her. I keep in really close contact with the breeder though and share Meecho's antics with her. She doesn't have a website but you can see her babies and contact her through you tube. The latest babies are a little older now so I don't know how young you want one. Each litter really does come out looking differently. The last ones are cute but maybe not in a traditional way. It's funny because they have ring around their necks that make them look like they have necklaces on :Laugh:

Here is the link and you can see all her litters and even Meecho and her mom :Laugh: Meecho will be in some of the older ones and she is always the trouble maker...go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PETERBALDS

Brooke

Banned
Well I think I'm the only member here who actually doesn't own a "sphynx" but a peterbald. I honestly didn't know there was a difference until I joined here and I don't think there really is one except some exceptions to the hair when I did my research. I personally LOVE my peterbald. But I believe and I'm not positive they mostly come from the siamese family (at least Meecho is) so be prepared to have a talker. I'm not talking about little bit of talking, I'm talking about they never really stop making noise. Meecho is always talking or purring or snoring :Laugh:.

I think Walter secretly wants to be a Peterbald. He NEVER shuts up, EVER!! But, the constant screaming is the sweetest sound in the world, right Kalliee?

Brooke

Banned
http://www.freewebs.com/sleekatscattery/

what about these guys? they seem legit, especially with all their information, even about stuff like cat food recalls and poisonous houseplants. anyways, I think they seem good, but they ARE in Massachussets. Any other suggestions? I mean, if I'm going to consider Mass, I might as well consider other far-off breeders. anyone? anyone?

SaintBabby, I can point you to two reputable breeders I've spoken with personally - 1 here in Florida who I know has 3 litters coming this month and also one in Texas - a little closer to you. Send me a PM if you want their info.

After you find breeders that meet all the criteria you're looking for (HCM scanning, health guarantee and genetic health guarantee, spay/neuter before going to your home, etc.) now you'll have the tough time of choosing what kitten you want, they are all so darn cute!!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think Walter secretly wants to be a Peterbald. He NEVER shuts up, EVER!! But, the constant screaming is the sweetest sound in the world, right Kalliee?

Sounds like my Siamese cat Reno....damn, that cat NEVER shuts up! :Hysterical: Gets pretty annoying after a while. Fortunately, Sydney (my other Siamese) and Piglet aren't quite as talkative.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was looking at Peterbalds before but decided on another sphynx because Peterbalds can only be shown in Tica.
They are not allowed in CFA.
When I got Cleo I was stuck between 2 kittens.
I asked a cat group I am what color I should get.
I wish I could have got both kittens back then.
One was Cleo black and white and the other was torbie and white.
Almost everyone said to get the black and white kitten.
If you get stuck on what kitten to get ask what we all think.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I couldn't agree more. It's funny because when it goes on I can get a little frustrated, but if it's quiet for more then a minute I go running all over the place looking for her :LOL:

saintbabby

Lairian
I would really appreciate people's opinions on the following catteries. Each of them has extensive information on their sites about their breeding practices as well as their concerns for health, and the betterment of the breed as a whole. feedback, please! here they are:
http://www.baldnmore.com/home.html
http://abeitagatos.com/
http://www.amoirecattery.com/
http://www.pinupcats.com/
http://www.sphynx.nu/

Anyways, I'd like your opinions, guys. I would really appreciate it. Ive got a good head on my shoulders and all that, it just sure would be nice to get some input from people with experience in this breed, along with experience in the adoption process.

Thanks!!

Back