Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My friend is upset today because Molly reabsorbed her kittens

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had told my friend that I think her dam might have reabsorbed her kittens before she took her to the vet today and that is what happened.
I wish I had been wrong.
They were due Jan 7th.
She had offered me a kitten with breeding rights.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had told my friend that I think her dam might have reabsorbed her kittens before she took her to the vet today and that is what happened.
I wish I had been wrong.
They were due Jan 7th.
She had offered me a kitten with breeding rights.

Reabsorbed? Does that mean aborted?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Fetal Resorption
In early stages of pregnancy the cat may experience fetal resorption. This means that the fetus is reabsorbed in the cat's body and may pass unnoticed. It becomes obvious when you see that the cat doesn't give birth. She may abort one kitten and the rest may be born normally, so fetal resorption will not be diagnosed.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Fetal Resorption
In early stages of pregnancy the cat may experience fetal resorption. This means that the fetus is reabsorbed in the cat's body and may pass unnoticed. It becomes obvious when you see that the cat doesn't give birth. She may abort one kitten and the rest may be born normally, so fetal resorption will not be diagnosed.

I have never heard of that. I am so sorry.

susi794

Staff member
No--it happens in human pregnancies also--something happens to the fetus in utero and the mother's body just reabs0rbs it rather than aborting it.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
ok I'm still confused and I'm sorry if I sound dense but....does that mean there is an unborn baby floating somewhere in the body, or does she kinda dispose of it in a bowel movement or does it just kinda disappear? I'm really confused and now worried since susi said it could happen to human woman too.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks she will try to breed her again and see what happens.
It happened to my manx when I was a kid.

susi794

Staff member
It happened to my boss's wife--she had in vitro fertilization and when they inserted the embryos, two of them attached ( or whatever it is that they do). We all rejoiced for her when they said she pregnant with twins and due to the high risk of her pregnancy, she got checked quite frequently. When she went for her second unltrasound --within a month--there was only one baby. Her doctor said her body absorbed the second one.
I'm not certain how common it is--as it happened within a time period that most folks wouldn't have even seen the doctor yet--she was only about 5-6 weeks pregnant.

susi794

Staff member
:Cry: This is all very sad

Abby, not so sad as giving birth to a horribly malformed kitten with no hope of a prolonged survival. It is nature's way of intervening when something is probably horribly wrong. And being reabsorbed into your mother seems not such a sad way to go to me. Dying an inch at a time in pain sounds so much worse. And loving the kitten and watching it die would be so very hard. Nature's way is normally the right way.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I asked my friend if she had heard of this as she has been trying to get pregnant for about 8 months now. She said she had and that it's quite common you just don't know about it as much because it happens at such an early stage. To me this is just one more thing that is going to give me nightmares when I'm ready to have a baby. What a sad thing, but I guess Susi is right about this is natures way of keeping things the way they should. It's still so sad for everyone.

Back