Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My guide to softpaws.

shaunc

Lairian
I've been using softpaws now for almost 4 months and I've gotten a pretty good grasp on how to do it properly, I thought I would share with you guys.

First of all you need to clean the claws, preferably with a bath. Once you have them nice and clean you will want to gently scuff them with a emery board to give the glue a better surface to adhese to. Clip the nail tip off, but not all the way to the blood vessle. The more claw the more surface area. Try to judge it based on how big your caps are.

To apply the glue, I personally use a tooth pick. I can stick it into the glue applicators opening and apply enough pressure to put a tiny drop on it. I then coat the inside of the cap with the toothpick. I do this about 3 times per cap. If you directly use the applicator you won't get it into the nooks and crannys and can risk air bubbles or over loading the cap. If you put too much glue into the cap it will overflow when you put it on your cats claw. Excess glue can stick the cats skin together and cause pain and irritation(I believe it's the number 1 reason cats chew on them).

If your cat is biting the caps my logical suggestion, though I havn't tried this myself... would be to buy a bitternail polish like the kind for kids that chew on their nails. You can get it at pretty much any store or amazon for $5. I don't know how smooth of a finish it would be, so I would suggest not putting it on the tips of the claw that contacts surfaces.

Right now my kitten's caps are staying on for 3-4 weeks. Though I assume that when she's an adult not only will she be less active(demon cat) but also the nail sheethes will shed less often since she won't be growing.

It's a lot of work when you first put them all on, but once they're on they fall off at different rates. Like last night I put two on and hadn't had to put any on for weeks.

Goodluck!

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I will definitely try them-Mickey would look so cute wearing the color ones :)! Thank you for sharing!:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Awesome advice. I've often wondered about these and how well they work with our kitties. My petsmart has them in hot pink and electric blue colors which is the polish I wear...I've always wanted to match our nail color! lol

shaunc

Lairian
Do you have photos of your kitties pretty paws???

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed that I didn't frame it properly. It took like 20 tries to get a decent shot though. For some reason there's like a 2 second delay between pressing the button and the photo being taken and any movement between the delay will result in a blury photo. Stupid cell phone camera. :(

annabelle3.jpg

I have one blue one left despite running out of them on 8/15. I'm hoping it falls off soon so she can have all pink. :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
haha,,,thanks for the photo!! so cute!!

Snuffie has the same mouse...lol
if i ever put these on my kitties ill have to share,,thx again

Back