Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My kitten decided he no longer wants to eat raw :(

Osiris1017

Lairian
Hey everyone, so for about the past 4-5 months I’ve had my kitten on a pure raw diet. I made the switch because he was having diarrhea with any other type of food I would feed. Once we switched to raw it all fixed its self…. Well this past week he all of a sudden just stopped wanting to eat. I took him to the vet to be sure it wasn’t anything medical and they did a fecal exam checked him out and said they see nothing wrong with him…. Well I kept trying to feed him and he even went almost 3 days without eating. So somone recommend a freeze dried raw and someone else recommended open farm raw mix….. I tried the freeze dried raw didn’t touch it. But when I put down a few kibbles of the open farms he devoured it. So did my cat just become a diva and decided no more raw? Did I mess up by giving in to his temper tantrum? I couldn’t go another day without him eating it was bothering me. Any recommendations on if I should keep fighting with him and try to get him to eat his raw meal. Or do I just take my loss and give in and switch him to something he would eat. He’s 10 months currently. Also since he’s not touching the raw food anymore how do I go about switching him to a different food? Cause I tried mixing some in his raw food and he refuses to touch it. Any help or recommendation would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpeg
    IMG_1358.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 10

Yoda mom

Staff member
Osiris1017, awh.. hugs... such a sweet photo. hugs n head smooches.

I tried raw and it was an epic fail. Batman would sniff it complain, tail twitch and run in disgust! he is 13 1/2 now and has been a dry food addict all his life.
I feed what works.

members will surely chime in.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I had the very same issue with my cat. Unfortunately, we had to switch to canned food eventually. However, if you would like to try sprinkling some Parmesan cheese on the food, it might help get your kitty enticed. Sometimes, they start to not like a specific protein as well. You might try switching that up like if you normally feed chicken and beef, you can start adding in duck and see how the he feels about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheldon13

Staff member
Also on occasion you can get a bad batch and it’s just turning his stomach.

If you want to switch to canned you can easily do that anytime. If he needs a stomach rest you can feed chicken or Turkey baby food for a few days no problem. Don’t do that permanently though. It does not have the micronutrients cats require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Osiris1017

Lairian
Forgot to mention I would rotate his meats on every meal, I also tried adding toppers to his raw and he would just look at his bowl, look up at me back to the bowl and in the most sassy way just walk away

PurranhasDen

Lairian
I cannot get Spike to eat anything that even resembles dry food. He turns his nose up at treats (the furry contingent Hoovers those right up). He gets Instinct kitten canned and Nulo mousse pouch, 2 each per day. AM and PM. I would like for him to be willing to snack on the dry a little just to tide him over between meals. Sometimes I’ll give him a kitten Sheba just to chill him out so I can sleep (I work nights).
He’s 5 months so I tried a little chicken (these little chicken in broth filet things meant as a cat treat or food topper. He gobbled that right up. He went right to sleep, on my lap so we’ll see how long it holds him.
In spite of him eating what seems an unholy amount of food, he still seems to act like he’s hungry All. The. Time.

eggs

Lairian
If changing up the proteins doesn't work, have you considered a raw kibble? I feed my little one raw food in the mornings and evenings, and then for him to graze on all day in between feedings, I use this kibble: Regional Red

It's essentially continuing his raw diet but with the convenience of free feeding kibble. It might be worth looking into. It's not like regular kibble since it's wholeprey and not that chicken by-product garbage etc. in other brands.

Edit: Rereading your message, it sounds you did try similar :) In that case, I recommend trying Orijen's frozen raw meats. It could totally be that your cat is just a diva, and trying something new/slightly different in the raw department might just be an easy fix. Primal Cat Frozen Pronto Pork 1lb - Bones Pet Stores

Back