Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My kitty is less stinky!!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know I have been absent a bit, but school has begun and it is keeping me busy. I just wanted to share Freya's story with you guys. We got her about 6 mos ago, she was a nasty stinky mess, she came from a family with 8 sphynx, they had gotten her from a shelter in Fl and rehomed her because she didn't like the other cats. she was covered in this reddish sticky yuck stuff, not knowing what was normal or not for Sphynx, I bathed her, and cleaned the black goo from her ears. Next her poo was like soft serve and gross, she also had a problem with pooping in closets:Surprise: Then she threw up in the tub and it was pure worms!! soooo gross. After a through worming regimen, her poo has finally firmed up, keeping her rear much cleaner. Last week, we went back to the vet to tackle her stinky breath problem, turns out she has ulcers and infection in her mouth:Dizzy: Poor baby!! She is on antibiotics currently. and I am happy to report that her breath is MUCH better, and she is clearly feeling better. So many issues to tackles, she has come a long way in a short time from stinky mess, lol, to loving pet!

I do have a question here, my vet has never dealt with sphynx, we are unsure where the ulcers came from as she has no other symptoms, no runny eyes, nose, no temp. Has any one seen this in their cats? Any ideas are appreciated, we want to keep her healthy!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad she is doing better. Sounds like she is in a great home!! I hope she continues to get better!!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No advice on the ulcers I'm afraid just wanted to say how glad i am that she's now found a loving home with people who care for her!!

What a lot to deal with, I can't imagine how relieved she must feel now she's clean and healthy...don't it make you wanna kick the previous peoples @sses!! :Angry:

Congrats on your baby, she's beautiful and I hope the ulcers heal soon.

X

susi794

Staff member
Are her teeth bad? Is it infection from bad teeth causing the ulcers? But golly, any vet should be able to diagnose that, so that probably isn't it. Did she get into something that burned her mouth? Maybe she was just so full of junk it didn't have anywhere else to go, so it broke through into her mouth. Thank God you took her and are caring for her now. Poor little thing.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I have no advice and have never dealt with that issue - however - I'm so glad you have taken her in and are on the road to fixing her up. Hopefully the ulcers will heal soon. Have you looked for any studies on stress in felines and it creating ulcers. I know when I stress out or eat too much acidic food I get a canker sore in my mouth,,,could be something similar. Goodluck!!!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't have any advice at all about the ulcers other than former diet or stress but I just wanted to say how very lucky your little one is to have a home like yours!! It takes a special person to take in a troubled kitty & rehab them. Bravo!:ThumbsUp:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for all the advice. I am actually glad that you guys dont know specifically, as that means it is not something breed specific.
Susi, her teeth look great, that was my first thought too, but the vet said they look good.

When I got her, I did notice the bad breath, but as she had been on a poor diet and had so many other issues, I thought it may clear up with some good food. She has a good appetite, and is eating TOTW food. I finally took her in and asked him to look at her mouth as we had not done that previously and he found the ulcers. I feel like a bad cat parent for not realizing something was wrong sooner.

Whatever caused it, it is an issue she came with as she has always had bad breath, now it is much better, she is still on her clavamox and I hope it won't recur, you can be sure I will be keeping a much closer eye on her mouth from now on!!

oh, and does anyone know if Spyhnx have reactions to ketamine? The lady I got her from said so, but I am hesitant to trust her. If so what can be used to sedate her if need be?

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
When Haji got his dental they used something with an "iso" prefix. I think ketamine is not good. there was a dental/anesthesia thread on here.. let me find the link.

Back