Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My little guy isn’t feeling well

4Beans

Lairian
Charlie is 19 weeks now. He’s been home with us for 3 weeks and has been doing great.

Eating well. Drinking well. Playful. He eats kibble and has a spoonful or two of wet food at dinner, which he loves and will sometimes finish big brothers dinner too (a different wet food).

I noticed a few days ago his belly was making some weird gurgling sounds. He’s had some really soft poops lately and some regular poops. He goes twice a day. We went out for 20 min today and when I came back he had pooped on the floor under my sideboard. He’s never had an accident before. It was a hard poop followed by a pile of really soft poop (not watery). His bum was covered and quite red. I cleaned him up and he went to sleep.

We did a fecal test 2 weeks ago and all was great. His vet appointment 3 weeks ago was great too. He’s fully up up date on all vaccines as well and big brother Jasper is fully healthy (had his poop checked with our vet too).

So, I think I may stop the wet food for a few days. Any other thoughts? Worth a trip to the vets? Can kittens take probiotics? Advice?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Try cutting out the new treats and see if that works. It doesn’t take much to cause tummy issues.

4Beans

Lairian
Try cutting out the new treats and see if that works. It doesn’t take much to cause tummy issues.
Yes, I’m going to cut out everything but his kibble for now & see. Hopefully there aren’t any more accidents. I could tell he felt bad to have pooped where he shouldn’t have. I cleaned the area really well, so fingers crossed.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Great idea to only feed him kibbles for a few days to see if that settles his tummy. Can be the treats. Or maybe something he ate he shouldn't have? Maybe some food of yours that dropped on the floor?

Sending healing vibes.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You might try some plain canned pumpkin. We would give our kittens about a tablespoon once a day. They would eat it like a treat. We still give a teaspoon of pumpkin mixed in with the morning canned food. I believe you can give probiotics to a kitten, but check with your vet. They may have a probiotic they would want you to use. Good luck with the diarrhea.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Orijen can be rich for some kitties tummies - as well as some canned food and eith thr combo perhaps was enough to upset his bowels .

If you do not see improvement I would call your vet for their recommendations -

I actually stopped buying treats - I use a kibble as treat
My boy had urninary issued when I adopted him and would omly eat at the time the scored diet urninary hairball formula - he recovered fine - now I feed him Nutrisource cat and kitten food
And buy a bag od thr urninary hairball as treats -

Awhile back I read that hariball formulas have been succesful for poo issues - so noe I use it as treats

Keep us updated often

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hugs sent. There could be a protein allergy involved. You could try switching proteins (but staying within the same brand of food). And I hate to say it, sometimes these guys get into things and ingest things they shouldn't.

Keep us updated.

4Beans

Lairian
Hi all, sorry for the delay. Charlie is back to normal. I think he had a bit of a sensitivity to the treats and possibly a bit of stress adjusting to his new home & big brother. We kept him off anything beyond his kibble for a few days the reintroduced wet food slowly and he did great.

He was at the vet today and she thinks he may have a murmur, so now I’m dealing with that which sucks. Hopefully it was just stress, he’s not a fan of the vet and nothing was detected at his previous check ups. Fingers crossed.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@4Beans Thank you for the Charlie update
Head smooches to Chalrie amd his big brother :)
positive vibes about the murmur .
Many can have murmurs at the vet stress related
ghost murmurs can disappear

We have had members whose kitties had murmurs and lived long happy lives with no medication-
One in mind was 17 years old with a murmur - no meds.
2 of mine have murmurs - 5 and 8 urs old no meds

Stay Positive and keep us updated

Any pics of Charlie and his big brother :)?

I am looking for a wet food for my picky boy - what are you feeding ? Thanks

4Beans

Lairian
Thanks!!!

We are feeding Royal Canin to Charlie who I’m certain would eat anything unlike his picky brother who will only eat the Royal canin or Blue Wilderness Salmon which is grain free.

Really hoping the murmur is nothing.

Here’s a few pics

Charlie sound asleep:
57CF5A0C-6B70-4BA4-B033-08FBCA2CBDAA.jpeg

Dinner Time!
9D12EFA2-9153-46CC-B805-09D1531BB275.jpeg

Jasper keeping an eye on things and getting quite tall at 10 months!
5309C6CE-54E5-426B-8457-BFD8052A60CA.jpeg

Soaking up the sun
29DCC38C-BB02-488D-923A-A122E9C451D5.jpeg

Charlie’s new toy!
11595EA6-7EF2-4035-AA74-B7F1E24E96E2.jpeg

Back