Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My little Percy!

Starchasm

Lairian
Hi! I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share the story of Percy. (Sorry if it's long)

I had decided that I wanted a second cat, and took a very Taoist approach to finding him or her. I figured that the right kitty would find me! So I put out feelers but didn't do any active looking. Lo and behold one day a co-worker came into my office and said that her dentist was trying to rehome a cat. She had previously bred Sphynxes, and had rehomed them all but this last one. I did some research on the breed, and thought they sounded interesting!

I set up a meeting to go and see how the little guy and I would get on.

The woman and house seemed normal enough, but when they led me into a shut bathroom with a large carrier that reeked of cat pee I started to get worried. The kitty himself was sitting in about a centimeter of urine inside the locked carrier, and had several scratches and scabs on his back. His ears had a lot of gunk inside them, which she assured me was normal.

Long story short, I took a very scared, weird, scrawny cat home for the night then straight to my vet. He was diagnosed with two different kinds of ear infections (yeast and bacterial), conjunctivitis in both eyes, urine burns on the pads of his feet and his belly, and infected scratches on his back which were thought to be self-inflicted. So he was blind, deaf, and in pain.

I gave him eye and ear medication and swabbed his back and paws for about two weeks. He was terrified and hid whenever he could. He didn't know how to jump, and seemed very confused.

It took about a month of medication and gradually increasing his territory, but slowly he came out of his shell. His tail began to lift, and he started sauntering instead of slinking. Fur started growing on his paws and ears, and peach fuzz appeared on his pink belly.

Now, about five months later, he's gained a pound and is the king of the castle. He's still skittish with strangers, but he gives the dogs what for! At first I thought he was terribly weird looking, but now I can't imagine anything prettier.

Here's my baby!

PrettyPercy.jpg

PercyYoda.jpg

Brooke

Banned
Welcome! Percy is very handsome and so lucky to have you. Thanks so much for being an advocate for him!!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there, Starchasm, welcome to our forum! I love Percy's "peaches and cream" coloring...he's a cute little guy, too! I wish you many happy years with this little fellow! :BigSmile:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Reading your story at work was probably not the best thing as I'm now crying like a baby. I can't believe anyone could be so uncaring toward any animal and I'm so glad that Percy will finally get to experience what real love and a home is.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I did the same read at work darn:Cry:!!! First Starchasm I welcome you to our site and second I give you A standing ovation!!!:Exclamation:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Starchasm,
And welcome to Sphynxlair!!!
What a great story! Percy is a very lucky cat to have you, and Im sure he's showing that now with his love!
Thank you for sharing your story with us and I too wish you many happy years with Percy!!!:ThumbsUp:
P.S. It's never too long of a story, we love em!!
Keep em coming!!:Smile:

Starchasm

Lairian
I still tear up when I think about it. I can't imagine someone treating any animal that way :( He didn't even have a name. She told me when I took him that she "never really bonded with him". For two years?!?!?

My vet reported her to the ASPCA, but I don't know if anything came of it since my friend stopped going to her for dentistry.

I'm so glad I found this place! I had no idea how many of the things he does are Sphynx specific! I call him the "Pug-cat" because he has so much more in common with the pugs than the other cat (who thinks he's insane).

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So hard to think she was A dentist and would do such A thing to A animal. I am sure the ASPCA followed up they must after A complaint but if she had no other pets there was not much they could do! I do belive in that you get what you give so she will have to live with how she treated him and one day it will haunt her:Woo:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am really not a violant person and I hate it when I think bad thought about someone, but honestly wish we could put people like her that would hurt an innocent creature or child on an island and just have them tortured for life. :Angry:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She should have to sit in a cage of her own urine... ans see how it feels. People like that make me sooooooo:Angry:

Moonstone

Lairian
Thanks for him, you did a great job with the poor Percy, and you give him a second chance in life.

I'm very happy that Percy has now a true family and love.

He seems very young ! how old is he ?

Starchasm

Lairian
He seems very young ! how old is he ?

Based on what she said he's a little over 2 (he was born in April).

He loves to love but he's a very serious cat. He can't really figure out how to play. Angel The Ironically Named Kitty tries her best, but he just ends up confused. In the last month or so he's figured out how to chase her and he doesn't get scared when she bats at him, but he still gets frightened by toys.

Brooke

Banned
Starchasm,
In your first post, you said Percy was blind and deaf. Has he regained any of his vision and hearing with treatment? Sounds that way, since he's starting to chase your other kitty...

Starchasm

Lairian
Starchasm,
In your first post, you said Percy was blind and deaf. Has he regained any of his vision and hearing with treatment? Sounds that way, since he's starting to chase your other kitty...

Oh, absolutely! His ears were swollen shut from the infections, and his vision was impaired from the conjunctivitis, but he's recovered almost 100%. His ears are still a little clammy (? I'm not sure how to describe it, but he's still getting one of his ear meds), but there's almost no scarring in his ears or eyes. He has a few large scars on his back, but his little feet and tummy healed great.

It's hard to measure in animals, but my vet said he doesn't appeared to have any severe lasting physical impairments.

My vet was describing the condition he was in to one of the techs at his check-up and she started to choke up.

Brooke

Banned
Oh, Starchasm, I'm so glad to hear he's had such a great recovery!! I know in time he will only get better, and you two will have a very special life long bond because of it.

Now, if you don't mind sharing that woman's address, I've got a few dozen eggs I need to get rid of...

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey Brooke I'll meet your there. I shouldn't say this, but I work in insurance and I know how to do some damage to her car without getting caught. Now I wouldn't cut her brake lines or anything, but I would make sure that everyone would know what she did just by reading her car :BigSmile:

Back