My mother's day gift | Sphynxlair

My mother's day gift

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Luvmysphynx, May 9, 2010.

1. Luvmysphynx

LuvmysphynxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ok, so maybe this is a gift only a true rescuer at heart would want, this is my newest family member, little Anabelle. She was almost killed by a kindhearted person who stopped and picked her up, and took her to the Humane Society of Utah. There the wonderful director, Jessica, scanned her for a microchip and found her owners - Who simply stated she was "useless" and they didn't want her anymore. This poor little angel only has 1 eye, her other eye I'm guessing just shrunk up into her head either from disease or untreated infections, she has cataracts on the others, so she doesn't see well, but well enough to follow me wherever I go! She's deaf, she has multiple tumors, her heart is bad, and I suspect she may have a lung problem as well, maybe secondary to the heart problem. Her teeth are rotten, and when I got her she was dirty, matted, and stinky. I've now given her a bath and trimmed up her face, I'm going to slowly work on getting her groomed the rest of the way, at her age and in her condition I'm not going to push her and do to much at a time. The heartless owners who had her said she's 15 years old now, and said she's never had a name :( How could they?

In just a couple days, this 15 year old poodle has gone from an unwanted stray with no name, and nobody to care about her, to a much loved and charished part of my family. I don't think she'll live long, she'll put a strain on my already tight budget getting her the medical care she needs to remain comfortable for what ever time she has left, but nobody had the heart to euthanize this little dog until she'd been given a name and at least a little while in a loving home that cared about her. I may not be blessed with a long time with little Anabelle, but I'm determined to make her last days the happiest and most comfortable she's ever known! She's a velcro dog, follows me everywhere, snuggles up in my lap or cuddles with me at night, all this dog wants is someone to love her, and I'm very grateful to be that person to love this darling little poodle until her time comes to cross the bridge!

This will give you an idea of how tiny this little girl is
    [​IMG]
    Look at that beautiful face! Always has to keep her eyes on her new mommy
    [​IMG]
    A look at the other side
    [​IMG]
    A good look at her poor face
    [​IMG]
    Enjoying a snooze in the sun
    [​IMG]
    This will give you a good idea of the condition poor Anabelle is in right now
    [​IMG]

2. Gadzukz

GadzukzV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $36.00
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    Bless you, and your family for taking her in, When she crosses she will remember that she was loved. You are wonderful, and Annabelle is a beautiful name!

3. TanyaT

TanyaTV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $318.00
    Ratings:
    +626
    What a great gift! So cute!!

4. gizmo6370

gizmo6370Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $8.00
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    I'm glad that Annabelle has found her home with you....she will be loved for the rest of her time:ThumbsUp::Smile:

5. dreaming_in_colour

dreaming_in_colourBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $12.00
    Ratings:
    +891
    What a wonderful gift you have given Anabelle of a forever family. I think those that rescue are truly special people. She is so sweet. enjoy the time with her that you have as I am sure she is very happy now.

6. holly_savage

holly_savageBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2.00
    Ratings:
    +649
    Lydia, what a wonderful heartwarming story. Kudo's to you and your family for making the financial sacrifice for this poor little lost soul!.

7. Jinxlover

JinxloverGuest

Sphynx Bucks:
    $
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bless your heart!!!
    I will never understand how people can do that..:Angry:

8. Luvmysphynx

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    I will never ever understand how people could be so cruel!!!!

I'm afraid little Anabelle's time with me will be very short, we'll see what my vet has to say tomorrow, but she's just not doing well :( She's got a nasty cough, and being a vet tech myself, my gut is telling me it's because her poor little heart is failing her. I've already called him about her tonight and talked to him, and we kind of came to the agreement that tonight it's best if I just keep her close, keep a close eye on her, let him know if she makes a turn for the worse, and pray she's got a little more time.

My family has given up on me, they know I can't resist a dog like Anabelle. They just turn their heads the other way and pretend they don't notice her LOL I refuse to post her entire story on Facebook because of family and extended family, I've got enough grief from them about rescue as it is, and it's never going to change a thing - I will never be able to look at a dog like Anabelle, and then walk away fully knowing that dog is going to die without ever having known a loving home! I don't care how long I have her, it's going to break my heart when she goes no matter when she leaves me! While I'm hoping and praying tonight that she does gain some ground and I have at least a couple months to spend with her, it may just not be God's will for her. But even if she leaves me tonight or tomorrow, she will go knowing that she was loved, and she will take a big piece of my heart with her.

9. rainonlens

rainonlensLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $274.00
    Ratings:
    +11
    You are WONDERFUL. Absolutely wonderful.

10. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,059.92
    Ratings:
    +12,595
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Tears are running down my face as I read your two posts about this sweet little dog...bless you for taking in this little throw away and giving her some love and a forever family. Her forever may be very short--I'm praying it's not so short, unless she's in pain of course--but it will be full of love and that is everything. Bless this little girl and bless you too.

11. Gadzukz

Sphynx Bucks:
    $36.00
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    As Susi said. Iam in tears reading your last post.

I once took in an elderly GSD. Her family had dumped her at the pound because they said they didn't want to watch her die. She was so depressed missing her family, it took her two weeks before she would even eat. I had her for three glorious months, and in that thime she became a happy lovely family member. I was honored to have shared time with her. She touched my heart so deeply and I expect little Annabelle will touch yours the same way. Reading your story brings back the joy and the pain, and I wouldn't have done it any other way. My family didn't understand either and my mother thinks I am crazy to spend money on animals.

God Bless you for taking her in, and God Bless Annabelle

12. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Bless you for taking in this little girl. I hope she gains some strength and is able to prove your family wrong about your extended efforts. I'm the same way sometimes, they just give you that one little look and you know its your destiny to help them. I fully understand. Goodluck and keep us posted.

13. lemmysmommy

lemmysmommySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $350.00
    Ratings:
    +432
    I am so greatful for you to have taken this poor dog in. Her story is so sad:Cry:. I can't believe that someone would have a dog for 15 years and never even give it a name!!:Angry: I truly hope that Anabelle has a happy and pain free life until she sees it fit to cross the rainbow. At least now she will know the meaning of true love!! What a great gift for both you and her. Good Luck at the vet tomorrow. Keep us posted. Anabell you will be in my thoughts!

14. Luvmysphynx

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    Little Anabelle sure is a special little girl, I'm so totally in love with her already! I knew the moment I laid eyes on her that she was ment to come home with me, I couldn't just leave her at the humane society to die sad and alone! I've been doing rescue for years, I've done ALOT of mill dog rescue, I've pulled alot of dogs from horrific conditions, I've seen dogs so near death when I've rescued them that they died in my arms on the way to the vet! Yet I must admit, I've become somewhat hardened, it's been along time since the simple sight of a dog actually brought me to tears - When I looked at little Abigail and saw "NAME UNKNOWN" on her cage card, my heart just literally broke and I couldn't help but sob! I couldn't believe such a beautiful poodle could be abandoned without even a name, then when Jessica placed her in my arms and I felt the mats, the tumors, and got a good look at that face, I knew this poodle was ment to go home with me.

In many years of rescue, there's only been 4 times that I've been able to look at a dog and know instantly that that dog was my dog. The first was my Bichon mix, Annie. Annie came from a shelter in Idaho, a horrific abuse case with disks in her back damaged so bad that there was nothing that could be done, as the injuries where old by the time she came to me. She was with my 6 wonderful months before she crossed the bridge.

The next was my dear Brandy, the collie that crushed my heart forever. I grew up with collies, worshiped collies, loved collies my entire life. There's no other breed quite like them! Their intelegence, patience, and loyalty is legandary! Brandy was no exception. I'd lost my last childhood collie 3 years prior, but remained good friends with the collie rescue folk. When I was asked to pick up and transport a "4 year old healthy male collie" I didn't hestitate to agree. I wasn't tempted by another collie, my last collie had been wonderful, but I knew I couldn't provide a proper home at that time for a young collie. But when I arrived, I didn't find a young healthy male, but an old, neglected, overweight, heavily matted, terribly arthritic female who stole my heart the moment our eyes met. I immediatly called my rescue friend and told her they'd been a terrible mistake and I was not bringing her a collie. When she asked why, I told her this young male was an old female that needed alot of help, someone to love her, and a special place to spend her final days. She started to ask me if I really was going to leave her, when she heard the tears in my voice and she immediatly understood. She knew I was taking Brandy home with me! I nursed that old collie back to health, it took me 2 solid months to get all that matted hair gently brushed out! I refused to shave her, she was far to beautiful to just simply cut that hair out, so I just patiently worked on her over the following weeks, and got that dirty, matted, overweight, arthritic collie that could barely walk turned into the stunning, elegent collie I knew was under all that!! She became like a young dog again, she learned to run and romp again, she was just a pure delight to be around! Then the unthinkable happened. We went to bed that last night and everything seemed fine. 6 in the morning I was awoken by an odd noise, and found my beautiful collie on the floor unable to get up. I got help and got her into my car, where my wonderful vet met me at the clinic at once. There we put her on IVs, steroids, got fluids in her, and fought all day to save her. My vet said she'd had a stroke. Most likely some of the fat from her being so overweight clogged an artery to her brain. By that afternoon she started having frequent seizures, and I knew her brain was fried, and that even if she survived, she would probably never walk, or possibly even eat on her own again. It crushed my heart, I only had that collie for 3 wonderful months before we came to such an abrupt goodbye. Brandy is the one that changed me forever. Here's some pictures of her about a month after I rescued her - These don't show nearly how bad the matting and weight problem really where at first!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the last picture I took of my beautiful girl, only a week before I lost her.
    [​IMG]
    It's been 3 years now since Brandy died, and I still miss her terribly every day! I think when I saw poor Anabelle, in some ways she reminded me of my dear Brandy!!!!

The 3rd time I fell for a senior was with my sweet old afghan hound, Jamie. She was also in deplorable condition. The vets didn't expect her to live long, but I knew I had to try!!! It's now been nearly 8 months since I brought Jamie home, and she's still going strong! All her major medical problems have all but resolved themselves, and while I continue to keep a close eye on her health, I feel blessed to have been allowed to share this long with my dear old girl!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now Anabelle is the 4rth. And I pray she'll be like the other 3 before her, and prove everyone wrong! I pray that she'll rebound, and I'll be able to share my life with her for at least a few months! But I'm leaving this in God's hands, she is curled up on my chest as I type this, content just to be close to me. Really had to work with her to get her meds in her tonight, she didn't want to eat, she is very clearly not doing well at all, but I won't give up on her. Tomorrow when we go to the vet I'm going to see if there's a way we can turn all her medications into liquid, and, if possible, compound them all into the same liquid, so I only have to give her one medicine instead of several! We'll see if that's even possible, I hate stressing her to give her the medicines I know will make her feel better, she doesn't seem to understand those medicines are to help her! But we'll see what we can do tomorrow, if we can't do them as liquids, maybe we can even do some of them as injections, I've had alot of experience as a vet tech giving injectable meds, and can certainly do it that way if I need to, what ever it'll take, I'll do it! Not sure where the money will come from, but I've been blessed with a saint of a vet who understands that while I may not always have the money upfront, I always make sure he gets paid and will work with me however he has to! I'll be sure to update everyone tomorrow after I've talked to the vet about Anabelle and he's been able to do a full exam, and I've also requested he do what's called a "quality of life" exam to determine how far we should take treatments in a dog this old and frail. As bad as I want to see her doing better, I'm not going to keep her alive if it's only going to mean she's going to continue to suffer. If he feels like the kindest thing will be to let her go, then I'll respect his opinion and let her go tomorrow, but I'm praying it doesn't come to that! But even if it does, I'll know I've done everything possible for her, and at the very least given her a few good meals, a loving home, and some good memories to leave this world with!

15. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Your such a angel Lydia! Your stories truely are compelling and its what rescue is all about! God bless you! I hope the vet visit for Annabelle goes well today.

16. Mug-ys mumma

Mug-ys mummaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $379.99
    Ratings:
    +585
    You are an amazing lady who does amazing things!! Bless you and Annabell, and thank heavens that you were there to make the rest of her life, no matter how short, a happy, love-filled place!

X

17. susi794

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,059.92
    Ratings:
    +12,595
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Any update on her condition?

18. Luvmysphynx

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'm sorry I didn't get on here sooner, it's been a busy day!!!! Had my ****er spaniel foster go to her forever home this afternoon, and had to leave for work right after the adopter left!

Anabelle, amazingly, is not as bad off as I'd feared. Her heart and lungs sounded good, and after a long talk, my vet and I have decided to not go to any extreme measures with little Anabelle. He doesn't feel like there's anything immedietly life threatening, and at 15 years old, I'm not going to do much to treat any problems we'd find anyway, the treatments would probably be worse then just leaving things be!

Basically there's 2 big problems with Anabelle. Both can easily be tied to the neglect she's faced. First of all is her eye - There's no eye at all in the socket, just a nasty infected socket. We're going to use a topical cream to clear up the infection then give her some local anesthetic and stitch it closed. The vet said this is due to years of untreated infections, they've basically eaten the eye. Her "good eye" she has limited vision in, but at least she can see SOME, not sure how good the vision is, but she can see. Then there's the bigger problem - She has a very major respitory infection right now. Thankfully it seems to be a URI, no lung involvement, at least not that he could tell from listening. We both felt x-rays where not going to really do much good, just an added expense that we don't need to do right now. Anabelle will stay with him for a few days, he's going to get her loaded up on antibiotics, antihistimines, and see how she responds, especially as far as her breathing goes. Our prayer is that she response well to the treatment. We're giving her 5 days to make some sort of a response to the treatments, if in that time she's made no improvement with her breathing and overall health, then we're going to re-visit the quality of life issue. The mammory tumors may or may not be cancer, without doing a biopsy that would just be to tramatic to her at this point, there's no way to know. If they're cancer, there's a good chance it's already spread to her lungs and that may be what's causing her respitory distress. But right now I'm choosing to keep an optimistic outlook for Anabelle's future, she's in great hands with my vet, I'm going to continue visiting her as often as I possibly can until she's well enough to come back home.

19. Mug-ys mumma

Mug-ys mummaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $379.99
    Ratings:
    +585
    Poor baby girl!!

So glad she has you and a great vet to make her comfortable...she certainly deserves it.

X

20. susi794

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,059.92
    Ratings:
    +12,595
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Thank you for the update--I worried about her all day yesterday and came to my computer straight away this morning. Her story just stole my heart...and I want so much for her to recover enough to have some chance of a good life for awhile so that when she finally crosses the Rainbow Bridge, she can remember only the last part of her life--when she was loved and fussed over and taken care of. I hope her previous owners rot in Hell for what they've done to her. Or should I say what they HAVEN'T done to her. How can you even be a human being and allow infections to eat the eye of your dog right out of the socket? And then just toss her away like yesterday's trash? Sweet little thing, please keep us informed.

21. Gadzukz

Sphynx Bucks:
    $36.00
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    Ditto Susi! Thanks for keeping us informed. I think many of us are following Annabelles story and cheering her on!

22. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    AMEN Susi! You said it!! Thanks for keeping us updated on Annabelle. Snuffie and I are sending positive thoughts and prayers. All fingers and paws crossed!

23. lemmysmommy

lemmysmommySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $350.00
    Ratings:
    +432
    Good, Positive thoughts for Annebell on the way!!