Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My new kitten is keeping me up help

ninja4her

Lairian
:BigSmile:So i got murdock last friday and he is keeping me up and usually does not sleep more than 6 hours in bed with us. The problem is he gets up and bandit gets up and they keep jumping up on the bed and wake us up. Do i need to put murdock in a seperate room so we can get some sleep until he gets older? Help i'm so sleepy at works it's killing me.................

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
not sure i have any good advice to offer- but i will say this... one of our kitties got into the habit of jumping up and down all night long! my poor fiancee gets stratches on his head (he's bald haha)... or sometimes he'll jump so hard on his belly i see johns feet and head fly up !! lol it's pretty funny- but mostly because he doesnt do it to me! :)
i would just recommend nipping it in the butt now. we didn't... and should have.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Have you tried playing with him a lot before bedtime, then offering a late snack/mini meal? If he's worn out and has a full belly he may sleep longer. Good luck. I hope the lack of a full night's sleep doesn't continue for you.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Being tired all day is the pits and you know your kitty is home curled up an the couch. I would say that he needs to sleep in another room if this is a problem get him his own little bed and blanket or try putting one in your room on the floor and make a rule no cats allowed on the bed I bet that would be tough. Ours are pretty good and just go under the blankets in our bed and sleep all night until hubby gets up but there has been times where they just refuse to sleep and sorry but the get the boot the door gets closed and they have to find the couch for the night :Wink:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Have you tried playing with him a lot before bedtime, then offering a late snack/mini meal? If he's worn out and has a full belly he may sleep longer. Good luck. I hope the lack of a full night's sleep doesn't continue for you.

Right there, that's what I would try first. I'd make sure that little bugger was exhausted by bedtime. I'd also try leaving out some dry kibble he can nibble on during the night if he gets the munchies.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Okay,,,so now for my real advice!! lol Wine does help tho!! lol

I had this trouble when I brought Snuffie home,,and then again when we added SoBe to the family. It has defintley helped incorporating playtime from 8pm (after their dinner) until 9pm and then again we play from 10:30pm until 11:30pm...I also give them about 5 or 6 kitty treats right before bed and they sleep until 6am...this only gives me about 6 hours of sleep by the time I fall asleep but its worked for us since we get the kids up for school at 6am anyhow...in the mornings, Snuffie will knock things off the headboard until I get mad enough to get up. lol

If this type of thing doesn't work by night 3 I'd attempt with shutting them out of the room.

Goodluck, I know being tired during the day is no fun.

LLevenson

Lairian

we do this with Arias....play with him before bed, then feed him, and he curls right into bed w/ us. Apparently the play/hunt-eat-sleep is the natural pattern for felines, so you are simulating the hunt w/ play time and then they eat. In terms of getting them to sleep longer than 6am, I don't know what you do....Arias will stay in bed as late as we sleep and if he does get up, then he heads to either the back of the house where his bed is in the window or the front window that gets the morning sun & he watches people walk their dogs around the neighborhood. Sometimes he comes and wakes us up early, but he usually targets my hubby for that so i am not bothered!

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy does ok until about 3 am and then he decides he wants to see what is going on outside. He proceeds to stick his head through my mini blinds and make lots of noise, which in turn wakes me and the dog up. I then have to get up let the dog out and feed her so she won't go back to bed. I pull the blinds and try to resume sleep, but ever since I got a new dresser, Lemmy is a maniac. He jumps on top of it and knocks everything off and then my dog will get back up and try to chew on all the knoced off content. It is an everyday battle that I am not winning!! I tried shutting him out of my room and he just sits and cries at the door!:ThumbsDown: I am also so tired that I can barely function sometimes. I however would not trade Lemmycat for the world, so I just deal with being tired! LOL :BigSmile:

lawgrl

Lairian
This is not good advice, but I have a glass of wine or two and take an over the counter sleep tablet (just 1) and I am passed out through the whole cat rodeo.:Smile:

:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

I think this is excellent advice!!!

Choppy refused to sleep the whole night when he first came home (he was bouncing around on our heads/faces all night long) but as he got a little older he started sleeping better/longer. Now, he's almost a year old, and he sleeps through until about 6am, which he has deemed his "royal" breakfast time to which all humble servants (me) must report and serve him his nom-noms.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Okay,,,so now for my real advice!! lol Wine does help tho!! lol

I had this trouble when I brought Snuffie home,,and then again when we added SoBe to the family. It has defintley helped incorporating playtime from 8pm (after their dinner) until 9pm and then again we play from 10:30pm until 11:30pm...I also give them about 5 or 6 kitty treats right before bed and they sleep until 6am...this only gives me about 6 hours of sleep by the time I fall asleep but its worked for us since we get the kids up for school at 6am anyhow...in the mornings, Snuffie will knock things off the headboard until I get mad enough to get up. lol

If this type of thing doesn't work by night 3 I'd attempt with shutting them out of the room.

Goodluck, I know being tired during the day is no fun.

Yup - I play with Dinka from 10pm to 11pm to get all the play out of him. He does have two beds, a litter box and food and water bowls in my walk-in closet. That is where he goes when he wants to misbehave. He is OK with it because it is HIS room.:BigSmile:

ninja4her

Lairian
I played with them both last night and they curled up with me around 8:30a in the spare room next to ours while i watched tv. I went to bed around 10 and they were both sound asleep in the other room . I heard them both come in in the middle of the night and they got into bed with us and slept it was great. We shall see how tonight goes. I'm more awake today with sleep. Thanks for the advice

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure your kitty will settle down eventually, first of all he is a kitten and being new to the home will keep him adventurous for awhile!.:Laugh halloween:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I played with them both last night and they curled up with me around 8:30a in the spare room next to ours while i watched tv. I went to bed around 10 and they were both sound asleep in the other room . I heard them both come in in the middle of the night and they got into bed with us and slept it was great. We shall see how tonight goes. I'm more awake today with sleep. Thanks for the advice

Awesome,,it sort of seems like hard work at first and its very easy to forget on busy nights but once it becomes habit to have "playtime" then it works wonders!! I'm glad you got more sleep!

Gizasmom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
we do this with Arias....play with him before bed, then feed him, and he curls right into bed w/ us. Apparently the play/hunt-eat-sleep is the natural pattern for felines, so you are simulating the hunt w/ play time and then they eat. In terms of getting them to sleep longer than 6am, I don't know what you do....Arias will stay in bed as late as we sleep and if he does get up, then he heads to either the back of the house where his bed is in the window or the front window that gets the morning sun & he watches people walk their dogs around the neighborhood. Sometimes he comes and wakes us up early, but he usually targets my hubby for that so i am not bothered!

funny how it is always the Hubbys that get attacted! ahhahahahaha maybe they know that they have less tolerance for that or something...they used to always bug my hubby and not me...ahahhahaha....funny!

Lindsay

Lairian
My new Kitten Kept me up all night and I was barely functionable today at work. He Cried and I mean Cried all night and morning then I went to work. I came home to yet again nonestop crying. He looks around and cries as if he is looking for his brother and mom. IDK if this is normal due to him being almost five months old. Please help... He doesnt look or seem sick although the breeder's house was not the cleanest either. He is eating but seems to not know how to drink water from a water bowl. His constant crying is driving me nuts somebody please help me. Should I take him to the veterinarian just in case?

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Lindsay, i am not sure why he is crying..... ours didnt cry.

to the other keeping you up all night ...... when we got our Baby home, he was in Lockdown ( other room with all he needed ) for about aWeek at Nighttime, so he knew night time is for sleeping ! We also fed and played at night time before bed time . He only cried for a few minutes and realized its quiet and bed time and he as soon as we got up in the morning, cried and we let him out ! Our other cat was in our bed, he knows bed time is sleepy time.
After a week of doing that, we let the little man out at Night and only had a couple of nights, where he attacked the other cat in the middle of the Night and wanted to Play !!!
He knows night time is sleeptime now.
They do need time to adjust ... in both cases here.

I do love the other ideas though too .. wine and such .. haha

shunterx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've never let Osiris sleep in our room with us - mainly because when we first tried, he tried to sleep on our face, he stepped on my throat and he would suck on our arms/legs/neck/cheek. Maybe just let him sleep outside of your room and he can run around and have a whole lotta fun :)

TwoSphynx

Lairian
My two demand my door be open all night so they can come and go. If I close the door they howl and scratch and throw themselves at door!! One boy has a habit of howling and mewling at midnight and again at 4am...it does my head in :)

Back