First of all, thank you for the continual support and prayers. I really appreciate it, and if Fig could read, I’m sure he would, too.
Nothing appears to be wrong with Fig besides an upper respiratory infection and a slightly dialated colon. Our guess is that he’s just having a severe reaction to the FeLV vaccine. However, we decided that it would be best if Fig spend the night at the emergency vet where they could keep an eye on him. While he’s there, he’ll be getting some bloodwork done to test for potential heart conditions.
I’m not gonna lie—I’m really worried about his heart. He wasn’t dangerously dehydrated (I had been giving him water with a dropper for the past two days), so I’m not sure that the irregular heartbeat can be entirely attributed to that.
I just hope this nightmare has a happy ending.
Again, thank you for your support. I’ll keep you guys posted.
So glad to hear you got Fig to the emergency vet and are taking things seriously; nice to hear that you at least have an idea of what happened at this point. I know it's easier said then done but try not to worry too much until you have all the results.
His heart beat could be irregular as a result of trying to fight off the infection.
Sending lots of healing and calming vibes your way
Wow honey, just now catching up on this thread and I cannot even imagine the amount of panic and horror you have been through. Healing prayers sent to precious Fig and peace to you as well!
I really do wonder why the vet insisted he have the vaccine. From what Ive heard and seen, most vets do a blood scan for FeLV and if its not present, they dont see a need to even vaccinate if your cat is indoors and you have no other chance of exposure to other cats. I hope you find a better vet soon! Glad to see he is doing ok now
I hope little Fig gets better soon. I know you're worried about his heart but irregularities aren't always bad news. Our little moggie, Ninja, has a heart murmur and two holes in his heart; on Tuesday we'll be celebrating his 15th anniversary of coming to live with us. When we were told about his heart problems we were so worried that he'd have a shorter life expectancy but he's still with us and loving life. I know every case is different but I just want you to know that things aren't always as bleak as they first appear. It seems that Fig is a fighter so fingers crossed he'll make a full recovery.
It really bothers me that you have Fig only 24 hours and Fig is still making the stressful (but wonderful) transition to a new home and the vet recommended FeLV vaccination when FeLV is a disease that Fig would only be exposed to from another cat, which if I understand you correctly you don’t even have. So Fig was NOT at risk and was vaccinated with a particular vaccine that has a history of issues of its own. Vaccination is an additional stressor that always presents risks (in people and animals) and should not be given under stress. Totally unnecessary. I would have expected a nice introduction and general wellness exam to rule out obvious abnormalities and advice on kitten ownership etc. I cannot diagnose Fig without examination, but in the absence of any other exposures or ingestion, it is not unlikely the vaccine left Fig vulnerable to pre-existing organisms or bacteria in his system.
I’m glad you took Fig to an emergency hospital. The heart arrhythmia could be secondary from dehydration, so don’t get worried about that right now. If that’s the case, after rehydration Fig may be 100% normal. Kittens are fragile, especially sphynx or any purebred, and it’s important not to throw everything at them. They need time to respond. Fig will be monitored and hopefully released soon so you can keep him happy at home until he rebounds.
Fig is really lucky to have such a caring mom! I wish you many years of happiness with him. I am an equine veterinarian, but my passion is sphynx cats. I do not treat my own cats, although I’m a 1990 Ivy League graduate. I’m not good enough for them! I have learned a lot from Board Certifed internists and my best friend from vet school who owns an emergency hospital. My advice to you is based on just good medical common sense. Best of luck to you and Fig (and choose another primary care vet).