Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My New Puppy!!!

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Im going crazy waiting for my puppy. I have an AHT (American Hairless Terrier) waiting for me at her breeders house, and I just wanna bring her home NOW! I got pictures yesterday, and shes so cute! Shes still got puppy acne though, lol....

This is Morticia. Shes my show-breeding prospect girl. Im so stoked! But I have to wait until April to bring her home. :Cry:
Keogh_23Nov10_pups_8_-291x450.jpg

mortissia_-465x307.jpg

My boy will be coming in late 2011- early 2012. His name will be Gomez.

Why is waiting so hard!!!!! Ive been waiting for a puppy for 10 years, and finally, FINALLY, its happening! I know April shouldnt be a long wait after 10 years, but it SO it!!! :Dizzy:

lawgrl

Lairian
OMG, she's so cute! I didn't even know such a dog existed (I'm not very dog literate, especially little dogs), I love it!

What are they like, personality-wise?

...oh,a nd I meant to say that I LOVE the Mortcia/Gomez names!

LucyFurrr

Lairian
OMG, she's so cute! I didn't even know such a dog existed (I'm not very dog literate, especially little dogs), I love it!

What are they like, personality-wise?

...oh,a nd I meant to say that I LOVE the Mortcia/Gomez names!

Yes, there are at least 5-6 breeds of hairless dogs, and this one is my favorite! By the time they reach 6 months old, there is no hair to be found anywhere on them, except maybe a couple whisker stubs. These ones are Rat Terriers with a hairless mutation, a fairly new breed. They are around 20lbs, so a small dog for sure! The only hairless dog with no known genetic skin issues as well.

As far as temperament, they act like big dogs. They`re active, but not high strung. They'll bark, but they're not yippy. They're great with children and other animals, and very easily trained!! All around they're your perfect family dog. The only issues with them (besides breed specific health issues) is their skin care, much like a Sphynx. They need sunscreen in summer, and snowsuits in winter.

My hubby actually named her, because I wanted Dionysus as her name. But that's too hard to call out, lol! At least Morticia can be shortened to Tish or Tisha.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Oh Gizzy Allopcecia is ADORABLE! I cant wait!!!!

Sphynxie, that's the plan. For now Ill just be showing her, and see how that goes. Also depends on whats happening with the cattery over the next year or so. Gomez wont be joining us for another year or two, while I get comfortable with the breed. Down the line, I would like to breed them yes, to further the breed. I do have breeding rights with her, but Im really going to play it by ear.

Bella07

Banned
:Surprise: They have hairless dogs too?! I only knew of Chinese Crested's, but, they still do have some hair. Two words: PURE CUTENESS! I especially love your little boy. You'll have to post pictures and tell stories about your girl when she is home.

spygirl

Banned
OMG, she is too cute! I was thinking our next dog would be a crested, but I'm really liking these guys. So they're a mutation of rat terrier? Do they keep their rat terrier spunk? We had a rat terrier growing up and dang, he was a gamey little dog! :LOL:

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
my husband says that he isnt a terrier, he is a terror. hahahahaha. he is so full of it! he is going to be 5 or 6 this january (the person we got him from didnt know if we was 2 or 3 when we got him and didnt have any of his papers, sigh) and he is like a puppy still. they are very very smart, but play dumb.

if you are getting one of these or are interested in getting one of these, non destroyable toys are best (but they will destroy them just not as fast) they have hooked teeth and destroy EVERYTHING. frank has eaten two phones, an ipod, millions of socks, a baseboard, and well a thousand toys. Nylabones are a god sent they are these hard plastic bones that last forever, GET SOME, buy stock, start now. haha. and kongs are god toys they last a while, the canvas ones work best.

they are very much like the sphynx in the fact that they need a very high quality food, their matabilism works really fast and if you dont get a good brand food their body doesnt process enough of it before it leaves the body, if you get what I am saying, and there is no box for it haha. we went through 5 foods before we found one we liked, its the taste of the wild salmon formula (Taste of the Wild : Home)

if you ever want any info or have questions let me know! :) they are lovely!!!!! dont get me wrong, i know i made him out to sound like a pain in the butt except it is so all worth it. I love him to bits.

Gizzymom

Banned
my husband says that he isnt a terrier, he is a terror. hahahahaha. he is so full of it! he is going to be 5 or 6 this january (the person we got him from didnt know if we was 2 or 3 when we got him and didnt have any of his papers, sigh) and he is like a puppy still. they are very very smart, but play dumb.

if you are getting one of these or are interested in getting one of these, non destroyable toys are best (but they will destroy them just not as fast) they have hooked teeth and destroy EVERYTHING. frank has eaten two phones, an ipod, millions of socks, a baseboard, and well a thousand toys. Nylabones are a god sent they are these hard plastic bones that last forever, GET SOME, buy stock, start now. haha. and kongs are god toys they last a while, the canvas ones work best.

they are very much like the sphynx in the fact that they need a very high quality food, their matabilism works really fast and if you dont get a good brand food their body doesnt process enough of it before it leaves the body, if you get what I am saying, and there is no box for it haha. we went through 5 foods before we found one we liked, its the taste of the wild salmon formula (Taste of the Wild : Home)

if you ever want any info or have questions let me know! :) they are lovely!!!!! dont get me wrong, i know i made him out to sound like a pain in the butt except it is so all worth it. I love him to bits.

I completely agree with your description!!! My friend's AHT, Allie, is a little terror as well. She never chews anything she shouldn't, but she rips apart toys and pulls all the innards out in less than 5 minutes flat! My friend says that she knows it's a waste of money, but Allie just loves mutilating the toys... so she keeps buying them!! Or repairing them if that is possible.

You also have to keep in mind that they are rat terriers. My friend looked out the window into her fenced in yard and Allie was having a blast tossing something up in the air over and over again... She went outside and Allie had killed a mouse and was playing with the dead carcass! :LOL::LOL:
My friend was HORRIFIED... until I reminded her that that is Allie's nature... she is a rat terrier. Allie did this 2-3 more times and now the mice steer clear of their yard!

She is such a sweetheart, though... very loving, very smart, and not hard to train. She does tend to have skin problems occasionally, but nothing we haven't dealt with having sphynx. She does have to remember sunscreen for Allie, though, if she is going to be out in the sun for more than a few minutes. I love her :Adore:

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
frank has some skin stuff once in a while, usually like pimples and black heads. :) oh and the nails always look so LONG but its cuz they have no fur to cover them haha.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
not to hijack but....... i have one too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P3170977.jpg

my baby frankenstien.

let me just tell you that you will LOVE this breed more then anything else!!!

OMG!! Frankenstein is amazing!!! I love this breed already, and I dont even live with her yet, lol... and not hijacking at all, I welcome it! Any more pictures!? He sounds like a an absolutely fantastic dog, sounds like such a rat terrier, lol... Thank you for sharing him with us!!! :ThumbsUp:

Back