Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My new sphinx has sores on her feet... HELP

Jessica Mathews

Lairian

Jessica Mathews

Lairian
I've been to 3 different vets and they all tell me to put Neosporin on it... (yeah okay) its done nothing for her.. :(
i do have another appointment for her set for tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can wrap her up in a towel, get a glass that's tall enough to put
her leg in and it will cover the sore.
Put Epson Salt and water in the glass take her leg and put it in the
glass. Hold in there for about 4-5 minutes.
Take her leg out, don't blow on it or touch it with anything.
Put Neosporin on the wound. You need to put a cone around her neck to
keep her from licking it. Keep the neosporin on daily.
Clean with the Epson Salt a couple days. See, then, if it starts to scab.
You can clean around the sore. I would use clean gauze to clean and
Put the neosporin on. Keep it sterile as possible. You might ending up
putting a no stick pad over the neosporin and wrap with gauze then cloth tape.
If she has a fit with the cone.
If you don't see any improvement in 3-5 days.
Maybe a Vet has a better solution. But, I've had to do this with large
wounds on horses. It works. But, I had to bandage them.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Jessica Mathews Where is your baby's favorite places to lay? We often see sores on this area due to laying on rough surfaces or things that produce heat like cable TV boxes etc. I would really try to see if this is the source.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jessica Mathews , your baby is soo cute - ( my adoptee is from Russiia too) wonder if same cattery- that would be a small world- what is her name? So sorry her feet have sores- and after 3 vets yikes!
So glad you chimed in with us!

Hope you get so, Ramses today- the foot soaks suggest dis a great idea!
I also love the non toxic product "Vetericyn" a lot of us keep on hand for skin issues-
I get the Vetericyn VF formula now- it's supposedly twice as strong as regular wound wash
You can ask the vet about too-

Vetericyn VF Wound and Infection Treatment for Dogs and Cats | 16oz Spray Bottle

I also would ask about a cream" Entederm "prescription from vet -
EnteDerm - Skin and Ear Infections in Pets | VetRxDirect
my adoptee came with that and a tube of
"Terramycin" ophthalmic ointment for any eye issues -
Terramycin - Antibiotic Eye Ointment | VetRxDirect Pharmacy
just to keep on hand
(I have this on hand and it works wonders on wrinkly skin and just a teenie bit goes a long way )
I used it only twice when I first got her

Please know we are sending healing vibes that you get some answers and I really like the great advice given to check for any heat sources-

Please keep us updated and give her head smooches from us!
Hope to see more pics of your cutie!

**ask your vet about Povidne (Betadine ) drops mixed in water ***for a soak compress too

For my first aid for my pets I use a about two drops of povidone ( walmart brand of Betadine) *never use directly on Sphynx skin- keep away directly from bottle from clothes and counters - it could stain.
Stirred clear In a bowl of water ( it's that red stuff that mixes clear in water) and wet a wash cloth with it and dab the area

These four products are my go to things

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What is a string tray? To me it looks like she is sitting on something hot or not so comfortable. It also looks like a condition that rabbits get called sore hocks. It is caused from sitting on a wire bottomed cage. Did she come to you with it? Was she caged in Russia? If a string tray is anything what my mind thinks it is maybe it is the culprit. Follow her and see how she is spending her time. It will help you figure out what is causing the problem.

winniedvm

Lairian
Whatever your new vet's diagnostic plan, please consider agreeing to them doing a "culture and sensitivity" test on the skin. I would expect it to be between $100 and $150 but I think it's $ well spent as those lesions look like they could be easily infected and, once healed, could easily scar unpleasantly. The test makes sure the bacteria +/- fungi are identified and respond well to the medicines being used. Those lesions are on the "ankle" part of the legs, and I sure have never seen any like them before now.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
How do i get rid of these sores on her feet??
The vet was NO help! So i thought i would ask y'all
Its breaking my heart

Thanks Jessica

As many have already mentioned, friction burns or sores from hot electronic equipment that they may lay on like stereo recievers or cable boxes, hot radiators or even rug burns from cat houses. There have also been cases of caged sphynx that had gotten sores from the cage bars on the bottom or getting burns from sitting in its own urine in the cage.

Bad to the Bone
Wound that will not heal!
Sphynx back leg sores??

Back