Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My new sphynx "Enzo" has an eye infection

rackasa

Lairian
Hi everyone! I am new to this site. Our little guy (4 month old) had an eye infection in his right eye which cleared up using drops from our vet but now his left eye started swelling up. green discharge and swollen. we are using the same drops but is this normal for Sphync cats? he lives in our condo and never goes out.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Did he come from a breeder?
If so tell them what is happening.
My Cleo got chlamydia from a cat show last oct and she had green stuff in her eye.
Then it spread to the other eye.
Can you have him checked for chlamydia?
He could have caught something before you got him?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rackasa and welcome to the Lair! Sorry to hear your baby does not feel good! There could be many reasons why your babies eye is tearing, from as small as she poked or bumped her eye on something to an eye infection. Her tissue in her eye can be come inflamed or infected from viral infections (such as herpes virus or calici virus), chlamydial eye infections, bacterial eye infections as well as other abnormalities. The common symptoms of cat eye infections from conjunctivitis include eye discharge, excessive tearing, blinking, squinting, and redness. If it persists as always recommended here on Sphynxlair see your vet!
Hope your kitty feels better soon!

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair--if Enzo's eye is swollen with a green discharge, you need to take him to the vet. The eye drops from before aren't taking care of this infection apparently, so I would definitely take him back for a recheck.
So glad you're joining us--there are some very knowledgeable people here with lots of good things to share--and they are terribly kind as well. It's a great place to be.

Suziepoo

Lairian
Hi my 3month + Sphynx also has eye issues. Noticed when I purchased her from breader her eye was slightly red, now it's both eyes tearing & sometimes yellow gunk & sneezing as well. I am new 2 this breed.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Suziepoo , noticed this is an older thread... when you get a chance, can you post your comment above to a new thread of your own on main page so we can all chime in.. hugs n head smooches. highly recommend a vet appointment to rule out a upper respiratory infection.

Back