Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My new sphynx

ninja4her

Lairian
I'll be getting Murdock in a week. My other cat bandit will be so happy to have a play mate. Any suggestions on how to introduce the two so they don't hiss at one another for like a week.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They are going to hiss at each other for like a week. Sorry. That is how cats are. Maybe you will be lucky! Keep them seperated for about 10 days to make sure the new kitten doesn't bring anything in to the one already at your house.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congratulations on Murdock's upcoming arrival. I can't wait for pictures. The advice you have been given is spot on. Remember to be patient. New transitions can take a bit of time. Good luck.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to you. You have to have lots of patience and don't play favorites. Remember to shower your older kitty with some evtra love so he knows he is not being replaced.
Also as hard as it is it is best to keep them appart for 1 week to 10 days, that way if anyone is sick it will not pass to the other and they can get used to each other smell before seeing each other. Good luck and we can not wait to hear all about Murdock.

ninja4her

Lairian
I kept the two appart for the first two nights and during the day i let them interact under our supervision. They just hissed then yesterday bandit my older one licked the new kitten. But once in a while he still hisses so im going to keep them apart while we are gone. I already took the new kitten to the vet saturday morning after i got him on friday. He is healthy as a horse. I'm excited and hope they become best buds soon.
Thanks for the advice on keeping them apart when they are not supervised.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i wish mine only hiss for a week! lol... it always took way longer! (we have 3)

The vet recommended keeping the new kitty in a seculded place, she they could smell the house and the other kitty could smell them from udner the door. We did this with our 3rd cat. We kept her in my step daughters room for a few days alone to help her get used to the house. then we put the other kitties in the boys room while she explored... usually it worked pretty good. just sorta slowly introduce

With our 2nd cat she sorta just stayed on the couch for a few days. and then we'd put her in bed with us at night and our male would snuggle near her while she slept. he was VERY curious and they instantly loved one another.

Good luck

Back