Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My pal Piglet

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've always been a Siamese cat lover and never considered getting a sphynx cat as a pet. As a matter of fact, I used to think that sphynx were "weird" and "strange-looking". I had my two Siamese cats for many years (13 and 10 yrs respectively), so I felt that my household was complete...until just a few months ago.

Then one day my fiance was complaining that my two cats shed too much and he was tired of getting lots of light-colored cat hairs on his clothes. I quickly became annoyed with him, retorting, "Well, maybe you'd rather have a cat that's hairless then!"

Saying that comment out loud made me curious about hairless cats. I did a lot of research online on sphynx and peterbalds and became intrigued by their unique looks. I found a breeder in Denver, Bemisu Cattery, and asked him if I could visit his cattery. When I went to the cattery a week later, I was surprised at how quickly I fell in love with his sphynx cats' friendly personalities and silly antics. However, I really wanted to get a rescue cat or one needing relocation, not one from a breeder.

I posted a message on a sphynx rescue group forum on Yahoo stating that I was looking for a sphynx rescue to adopt and within a day, a nice lady from Estes Park, CO emailed me, stating that she was looking for a new home for one of her six sphynx cats, an older sphynx female named Piglet. There was nothing wrong with little Piglet, except that she needed more love and attention than what she was getting in a house with seven cats (four of them being sphynx kittens!). So I drove to Estes Park, met this nice lady, adopted Piglet, and took her back home with me to Colorado Springs. The lady in Estes Park originally got Piglet a year ago from the Teller County Humane Society in Woodland Park (a mountain town located minutes away from Colorado Springs); she told me that Piglet was dumped there by a woman going through a divorce.

Well, now Piglet is part of my family and I couldn't be happier! She has an awesome personality and gets along well with my two Siamese. My family at first thought I was crazy for getting a hairless cat when I already had two cats, but once they met Piglet, they all fell in love with her, too!

My fiance, however, still isn't really sold on me having Piglet yet; he says that she's "ugly". Well, I think he's an idiot for not appreciating Piglet for the wonderful kitty she is...LOL! He's a good guy in most other ways, though, so I'm hoping that in time, Piglet will grow on him, too.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Great story, Im glad you sort of rescued piglet again, I could not imagine some one dumping such a beautiful cat.
good luck with piglet!
we would love to see some pics!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

silly4lilly

Lairian
lovely story! i think its great that you adopted Piglet. Piglet will def. grow on your fiance. i was not a fan of sphynx's at first but you bond with them so quickly and they are the best cats and best companions ever!!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you worry just hide your fiances razor far A day or two and piglet will rub up on his face and love him. When our leo started that with my husband he was like wow look he loves me. Now he thinks he is his fav. because he has facial hair and that is leo's favorite thing to do.( I swear sometimes he skips A shave just for attention from the cat). Seriously they are so lovable just look you already know that this is at least piglets 3rd home and he is still happy, wait till he gets all relaxed and comfy he will be the love of your home!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi...thanks for all the great comments! I'll definitely have to try the stubble trick with my fiance. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t I've read before that sphynx kitties have an unusual attraction to men's beards and facial hair.

I'd love to post some photos (I don't have a whole lot of her yet but I'm working on it), but where do I do that in this forum? Sorry for such a basic question, but I'm still getting a feel for where things are at in this forum.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Uh...you can disregard my last question...I finally figured out on my own where the photo albums are posted.

Hope you like the photos of my little baby! I'll try to add more photos in the near future!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I m glad you figured out how to add pics!On the forum home page under have questions or comments there is a link to "how to use this site".When you have free time check it out! She is a gorgeous kitty, i love her face and eyes!:tinysmile_twink_t:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I m glad you figured out how to add pics!On the forum home page under have questions or comments there is a link to "how to use this site".When you have free time check it out! She is a gorgeous kitty, i love her face and eyes!:tinysmile_twink_t:

Piglet is so pretty. Congrats on getting her, she seems very special and happy with her new home.

Thanks so much, admin and kallie! Piglet does have the sweetest little face! :tinysmile_shy_t: She's a little bitty sphynx kitty, too, she only weighs about 6 lbs and she's 9 yrs old!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay! I'm so glad you came to join us! Piglet is the coolest cat in the naked world!

Thanks so much, elgatoloco, for the complement and also for recommending this site!

You should check out Piglet's page now in Catster.com...she's become quite popular these days, especially with the "Meezer Junction" crowd (it's a group for Siamese kitties and their non-Siamese kitty pals and relatives). Piggers was made Honorary Engineer of the Month for April and led a large group of Meezer Junction forum members (all kitties) on a virtual trip to Sydney, Australia yesterday! She did a great job with the trip (with my help, of course). :tinysmile_twink_t:

Back