Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My poor sweet Harry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellie4-12

Lairian
My first sphynx and most loved animal was euthanized this morning. He had been acting a bit lazy this last week.. I thought it was the cold weather. The poor thing then started to get an evident belly with diarrhea and after I called the breeder- I was informed that his brother had already passed away from FIP.

It was so hard to put him down.. He wouldn't stop purring and cuddling with me through the night. Unfortunately the wet symptoms of FIP were getting too hard to bear and I had to let him go :(

The breeder is refusing to give me a refund of money. I really hope to get a new sphynx later on.. They are truly amazing creatures and even though I didn't get to keep Harry for long- I feel very lucky to have gotten to be his human for the short life he did live.

I have another cat in the household and I'm crossing my fingers she is OK. She is a beautiful devon rex that is a little over a year old. Harry has been with us for a month with FIP and she hasn't shown any symptoms of having anything.. In fact in the recent weeks she has been more energetic than ever. I'm just concerned with getting a new sphynx baby and all of a sudden having the devon come down with FIP and infect him...?

Harry was such a loving cat.. and he continued to give me kisses and cuddle with me through his worst times. I will miss him tremendously :Cry:

Brooke

Banned
My first sphynx and most loved animal was euthanized this morning. He had been acting a bit lazy this last week.. I thought it was the cold weather. The poor thing then started to get an evident belly with diarrhea and after I called the breeder- I was informed that his brother had already passed away from FIP.

It was so hard to put him down.. He wouldn't stop purring and cuddling with me through the night. Unfortunately the wet symptoms of FIP were getting too hard to bear and I had to let him go :(

The breeder is refusing to refund of money. I really hope to get a new sphynx later on.. They are truly amazing creatures and even though I didn't get to keep Harry for long- I feel very lucky to have gotten to be his human for the short life he did live.

I have another cat in the household and I'm crossing my fingers she is OK. She is a beautiful devon rex that is a little over a year old. Harry has been with us for a month with FIP and she hasn't shown any symptoms of having anything.. In fact in the recent weeks she has been more energetic than ever. I'm just concerned with getting a new sphynx baby and all of a sudden having the devon come down with FIP and infect him...?

Harry was such a loving cat.. and he continued to give me kisses and cuddle with me through his worst times. I will miss him tremendously :Cry:

I'm so, so sorry to hear about Harry. I had to make the decision this year to put my beloved dog to sleep and then 4 months later had to put my first sphynx boy to sleep. Although it was the toughest thing I ever had to do, they were both tremendously sick and in pain and there was no other decision to be made. I can only imagine how much more difficult it was for you with Harry being so lovable and cuddly through the ordeal. It's truly heart breaking, but know you did the right thing for him.

Like you, I only had my sphynx boy (Harold, I called him Harry, too) for a short time before I lost him, but he touched my heart in such a way that I would never give that time back for anything. I have no doubt your little Harry had a huge impact on your life, too. They really are special, and Harry was so lucky to share a loving home with you for the short time he was here.

Fingers crossed that your Devon girl continues to stay healthy. Big hugs.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am terribly sorry for your lost, Ellie... I can only imagine how tough it is going through such a situation. You, Harry and anyone else who has been affected by this lost will be kept in our thoughts.

susi794

Staff member
Am so horribly sorry...it hurts to lose someone we love. Hugs to you. Keeping my fingers crossed that everyone esle stays healthy.

Moonstone

Lairian
So bad story...But you've done the best.
I'm with you and hope that your devon girl stay healthy !

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear about Harry. He was such a nice sphynx boy and obviously a very special member of your family. At least now he is at peace over the Rainbow Bridge. I will keep you and your devon rex in my prayers.

Pbinky

Banned
:Cry: i'm so sorry about Harry. My heart breaks for you and i pray your baby devon rex will be ok.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so very sorry to hear about Harry. My deepest sympathies. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet since they are truly members of your family.

Its always so hard to let go no matter how sick they are. My greyhound had to be put to sleep last year as she had cancer in her bones.

I hope your Devon girl stays healthy.

ellie4-12

Lairian
Thank you soooo much for all of your sympathies. You are all so wonderful and caring. This whole weekend has just been something else.. I was determined to make Harry a cat tree and a fleece jacket on Friday.. And then this Today really through me for a loop..

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so very sorry to hear about your Harry....:Cry: I lost my first sphynx and my favorite pet ever, Senor Buster DelGato over Memorial Day this year. It was sudden and I also had to put him to sleep.

I know how very, very hard it was for me and I hope that you know your Sphynx Lair community is thinking of you! I am so sorry this happened to you! My Senor, RIP

nancy19

Lairian
Hi Ellie, my name is Nancy and I know exactly how you are feeling right now.

My first sphynx kitten was a beautiful little girl I named Nikki. I had her for about 2 months when I noticed her belly began to get bigger and bigger. I took her to the vet and was told she had FIP. I took her home that day but decided to have her put to sleep the next morning because she seemed so miserable.

After 4 months of a broken heart I knew had to have another sphynx. I started looking and found Murphy who was 4 months old when I got him. I lost Murphy in September 2008, 3 days before his ninth birthday to stomach cancer.

My third sphynx was Bubba. Bubba was the pet "love of my life." When Bubba was about 5 years old he was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I lost Bubba last February after he threw a clot that went to the big artery that supplies his hind legs for the second time. The first time he had almost recovered, but the next time it happened he lived for about 12 hours before he died in the bed beside me. I had my arms around him and my hand on his chest. I wispered in his ear "I love you Bubba" just in time to feel his heart take it's last beat. When his heart stopped, my heart broke once again. Bubba was 8 years old when he died and I miss him every day.

I'm so sorry about your Harry. I hope you are able to get another cat soon. It won't be Harry, but I have found that I sure does help to have a warm snuggly sphynx cat to help you through the sad times. I can't wait to get another sweet warm snuggler myself.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Awww..that is terrible. I know mine is like my baby, I would be so heartbroken :( *HUGS* I wish you luck in getting another one.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm so sorry for your loss... It hurts me to even think about the sadness you've had to bear... I send my love and best wishes to you and your other kitty...

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Im really sorry Ellie and there will be a special place here on Sphynxlair for harry forever!

ellie4-12

Lairian
Ben and I thank you guys from the bottom of my hearts!

The support I have received from here has been nothing short of amazing. All of you are so sweet and I feel so glad to be apart of such a caring forum. I really appreciate all of your stories.. Although they are sad.. they make me feel less alone. I think I will write some of you personal letters when I have a bit more time.. but thank you so much for being there for me during this hard time.

It was a little bit of research, but alot of this forum and stories that made me make the dive to get Harry, the animal I loved with all of my heart. Though I am still absolutely crushed to a pulp over his disease, I am so happy I was able to learn so much about the breed and be the special human to such a wonderful cat.

I have been starting to look up some breeders.. after realizing that I can't quite function without a naked one to look after.. and I think If i can persuade Ben, I might try to find a baby somewhere that I can bring home in Januaryish.

Until then I will be reading your stories and counting the days until I can have a sphynx again!

thanks so much everyone
Ellie

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Our boy Fuzz had wet FIP; we had him for a month before it was so bad he had to be PTS. Sorry to hear about your loss.:Cry: I hope your other kitty remains well. You should wait a few months before getting another one.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry about Harry.
I had a cat that I had to have pts at age 5 from what they thought was dry FIP.
He was not a sphynx.
Sorry i was not here to reply sooner.
If you ever need to talk let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back