Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

My Review of SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Recently I came across SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter. It's made by a company called Pioneer Pet which looks like a small player in pet supplies. One thing I've figured out after all these years is the products you see in the big pet retail stores are all mass made by some very big companies. It think it's hard for small companies to get their products in big stores. I bought this litter online directly from Pioneer Pet.

Here is the claim from Pioneer Pet about this litter: "100% Grass, Chemical Free, Clay Free, Fragrance Free, 99% Dust Free, Paw Soft and Safe, Biodegradable and renewable." I've been happy with Dr. Elsey's litter, but Dr. Elsey's is made from clay which isn't natural and it adds to landfills. So I was intrigued.

I filled up a litter box with SmartCat and another box with Dr. Elsey's, and let the cats decide which to use. They are using both boxes. I will keep both for a while but it looks like the masters of the house are OK with this new litter.

Here are the things I look for when I buy litter, in more or less the order of importance to me:
1. It clumps; no chips or little pieces that fall through my scooper.
2. It doesn't stick to kitty paws - there is a popular brand of litter that I bought in a pinch, and the next time I bathed my cats I noticed their paws were clumped with litter. It was almost like tar; I couldn't get it all off in one bath. Litter is supposed to clump to itself, not to the cat.
3. It's not dusty - I don't want my cats inhaling chemicals.
4. It doesn't give off smells including after it's been used.
5. It comes in bags that aren't overly heavy - I buy 18 lb bags of Dr. Elsey's which cost more than a 40 lb bag but I don't want to carry a 40 lb bag.
6. It's environmentally friendly - all things being equal I don't want to add to landfills..

So how did the SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter do.....it's only been a couple of days but I've already decided it's a keeper.
1. It clumps well. Here is the best thing I discovered - the clumps separate from the side of the litter box really easily and they don't crumple. My cats pee in the corners and when I try to scoop it out, the ball breaks apart and some always gets left on the side of the box. The SmartCat didn't do that, nor did any of it stick to my scooper either. I squished a clump to see if I could break it and it was spongy...it squished in and came back....no crumpling.
2. I've only used it for a couple of days so I need to give it a couple of weeks to see if any of it attaches to kitty paws. I have no reason to think that it would but I need to use it for a while to make sure.
3. It's not dusty. I was paying attention when I poured it too.
4. I can't smell pee from the box and since my cats are raw fed I don't have the poopy smells either. This litter does have a natural smell to it that I can pick up when I open the bag. The cats could smell it through the bag because they were all over it. But it's not a strong smell nor is it perfumy so I don't care.
5. This litter is fantastically lightweight. I bought a 20 lb bag and it's the same size as the really big clay litter bags in stores that I think are about 40 lbs. The 20 lb bag was $30 directly from Pioneer Pet so it's a little pricier than Dr. Elsey's, but to me the weight is such a benefit that it's worth it.
6. Another plus - this litter is made from 100% USA grass so it's natural and biodegradeable.

I woudn't have posted this review if I didn't think this litter was worth it, but it really is. It's not easy to find locally and it might cost a little more, but feature for feature I think it's a better product. There are a couple of things that really set it apart from clay and those are that it's lightweight and that it's all natural.

If you are interested, Pioneer Pet has a video on You Tube and of course there is more info on their company web site.

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great review. Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Let us know after you've used it for a little while if you are
completely satisfied with it.