Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My shpynx won't sleep

peachsmoothie

Lairian
Hello. New to this feed. I usually don't ask for help, but I am desperate! My sweet girl has issues and I am not sure where they come from. We adopted her two years ago. She was about 1 year old when we brought her home. She's always been loving, but has had anxiety/OCD issues from the start. She's come a very long way since we brought her home. My worry is...she abandons her sleeping spots. From the start she could never find a sleeping area. Everything spooked her. So a year ago we built her a beautiful cat condo. She loved it! However, all the sudden she has abandoned it and will not touch it! She slept in it for a year and will not go back! She waits for me to sit or go to bed to sleep. If I'm not available, she stays awake all day! From when I get up, to when I go to bed! She will not sleep! Maybe I should go to the vet, but thought maybe someone out there would have suggestions. Shes such a sweet girl and I'm very worried about her. No matter what bedding I use or bring to her, she will NOT touch it. I've tried so many things! She won't even sleep in my bed during the day...only if I'm in it. Maybe she needs a friend? Another cat? Sorry this is long! Thank you for listening.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Bless you for opening your heart and home to this sweetie
What is her name?

Have you tired tiring her out with play?
Perhaps war off s blanket fro, the dryer and putting in her cool condo you made her ?
A thermo kitty self warming bed ?

Like a Dabird pole toy a fav on the lair ( omly used superb see amd put away if not in use or kitt may chew it )

Being she is OCD and you have worked so hard with her and made progress
I would worry thst a new kitty may be too much for her

Only you can delved based on her personality

Extra play amd a warm towel would, be my first two suggestions ,
Does it ,are a difference if you move the cst tree condo to a corner of the roo,?
Mine love it in the corner for some reason

Surely others will chime in too

peachsmoothie

Lairian
Bless you for opening your heart and home to this sweetie
What is her name?

Have you tired tiring her out with play?
Perhaps war off s blanket fro, the dryer and putting in her cool condo you made her ?
A thermo kitty self warming bed ?

Like a Dabird pole toy a fav on the lair ( omly used superb see amd put away if not in use or kitt may chew it )

Being she is OCD and you have worked so hard with her and made progress
I would worry thst a new kitty may be too much for her

Only you can delved based on her personality

Extra play amd a warm towel would, be my first two suggestions ,
Does it ,are a difference if you move the cst tree condo to a corner of the roo,?
Mine love it in the corner for some reason

Surely others will chime in too

Thank you so much for your reply:)! Her name is Peach. I do have a warming bed in her condo. I have another one you heat in the microwave and she used to like it, but has abandoned that as well. Every bed option I've tried she likes for a while and then decides to hate it. She hates most blankets, towels, and cats beds! I had 4 cats beds and She hates them all. I even crocheted two beds and she won't touch them.
She does love our outdoor cat! She also loved our Labrador, but unfortunately he passed away last summer. She does have play toys and my teenage daughter plays with her a lot, as do I. She loves tennis balls!
We are a homeschooling family, so we are home most of the day. I am just so worried about her. To not sleep all day, cannot be good for any animal. She only tries to sleep on me, but I can't sit all day for her to take naps:(.
Hoping to figure this out for her. She is a sweet angel and we love her lots! Thank you again! We will keep working with Peach.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Does she finally sleep at night ?
My one sphynx is s busy buddy during the day while the others snooze
((Hugs - sorry for you sweet dog got his angel wings , Mst he be flying free and high with my boys at the rainbows bridge )

Love peach smoothie avatar pic :)
Wow she is a spoiled sweetie !

peachsmoothie

Lairian
Does she finally sleep at night ?
My one sphynx is s busy buddy during the day while the others snooze
((Hugs - sorry for you sweet dog got his angel wings , Mst he be flying free and high with my boys at the rainbows bridge )

Love peach smoothie avatar pic :)
Wow she is a spoiled sweetie !

Peach sleeps at night. Only with me now. What's strange is she slept in her condo for a year, even through the night. Now, she only wants to sleep on me.
She sits and watches me all day until I sit down.

(Yes, my sweet dog has his wings with yours! :))

Thanks again!

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmm, sounds like she wants the company. It’s hard if she’s very anxious, but she could be missing your old dog and with the other cat outside, she might be just wanting a buddy to snuggle with, hence she won’t settle until you sit down.

Since she gets on with your outdoor cat, is it possible to bring them inside during the day to keep Peach company and see if that helps her relax a bit?

Another option would be to arrange play dates with a friends cat. Introductions can be a little slow, but if you have a friend who works during the day that would be happy to bring their cat to play occasionally, it might be a solution.

A vet visit might be a good idea, just for a general checkup. If she’s sleeping alright at night, then probably everything is ok, but just to consider, pain can be an issue that prevents animals from settling. It would be good to have a little checkup just to rule that out before you start seeking other solutions.

And just as a foot note ... we’d love to see more Peach photos!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Did the sleeping problem started when your dog passed away?

Is it possible to clean the cat condo completly with a special petclean spray? Maybe she got scared by something and smell of anxiety is still on the condo?

You could also try a felliway diffuser or a calming collar. If I'm right @Catzzzmeow used a calming collar (know it's called different but I'm tired and can't find the right English word so hope you know what I mean), maybe she can advice you on this.

Sending sleeping vibes to Peach!

peachsmoothie

Lairian
Hmm, sounds like she wants the company. It’s hard if she’s very anxious, but she could be missing your old dog and with the other cat outside, she might be just wanting a buddy to snuggle with, hence she won’t settle until you sit down.

Since she gets on with your outdoor cat, is it possible to bring them inside during the day to keep Peach company and see if that helps her relax a bit?

Another option would be to arrange play dates with a friends cat. Introductions can be a little slow, but if you have a friend who works during the day that would be happy to bring their cat to play occasionally, it might be a solution.

A vet visit might be a good idea, just for a general checkup. If she’s sleeping alright at night, then probably everything is ok, but just to consider, pain can be an issue that prevents animals from settling. It would be good to have a little checkup just to rule that out before you start seeking other solutions.

And just as a foot note ... we’d love to see more Peach photos!

Our outdoor cat, Cortez, stays outside only. He is a little wild and we wouldn't feel comfortable bringing him indoors. He's a wonderful cat, but it's best to keep him outside. He does come in the garage for food and protection.
I will give Peach one more week and I think I will take her into the vet. Her health seems really good, so that isn't a concern. However, with her anxiety, health issues may come up. She is also an excessive licker! She'd lick you for hours if she could!

I will try and upload a few pictures too. I wasn't sure how to do it! :) Here she is almost a year ago, in her cat condo and loving it! Wish she'd go back in.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and suggestions! I appreciate it!

Attachments

• NIFQ4808.JPG
    NIFQ4808.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 50

peachsmoothie

Lairian
Did the sleeping problem started when your dog passed away?

Is it possible to clean the cat condo completly with a special petclean spray? Maybe she got scared by something and smell of anxiety is still on the condo?

You could also try a felliway diffuser or a calming collar. If I'm right @Catzzzmeow used a calming collar (know it's called different but I'm tired and can't find the right English word so hope you know what I mean), maybe she can advice you on this.

Sending sleeping vibes to Peach!

Thank you! I have cleaned her cat condo. Its all perfect and ready for her. I even have a heated blanket out for her right now and she will not touch it. She is sitting in the sun by the window.

I will look into what you suggested. Thank you very much!!!! Here she is playing in a box! She is my little Bambino! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6955.JPG
    IMG_6955.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 55
  • URXU8203.JPG
    URXU8203.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 54
  • VZFZ1303.JPG
    VZFZ1303.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 55

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@peachsmoothie she is gorgeous! What a beautiful face and I bet you can never give in to those pretty eyes. Thank you for sharing your adorable kitty! Looking forward to the next instalment!

Keep us updated on how she goes.

Baby Blu

Lairian
Hi baby Peach! Your so beautiful. Mom I know you are worried. But I wanted to tell you my experience. I had this same problem. When I first got my first sphynx (female) I had another cat and she became very fond of her. When my non sphynx cat died my sphynx went into being totally dependent on me. I had my cat put to sleep at home for added comfort and so that it would be in a familiar place. After my cat passed my sphynx ( Blu Baby) would not even go in the room where my cat died. She only slept with me and she was completely dependent on me for EVERYTHING. All she did was sleep. Cats who are attached to other pets suffer depression. I just took time with her. All the time she needed I gave to her no matter what. This went on for about a year and a half after my other cat passed. Blu Baby was my only concern after the passing of my other cat. They were very close and I knew that she suffered from her not being there. After two years i got her a friend and they are the best of buddies. She still sleeps on me every night but to be honest I love her cuddly cute self. Both my sphynx are very very cuddly and attached to me. Sphynx are very much dependent cats anyway. But please give her all the time needed. You are the only one she feels comfortable with at the moment. Things will get better! Also plush blankets are my babies favorite. Try to get her one. I usually get mines from kroger for 10 bucks each. I wash them with sensitive washing powder. Pics of my Royal babies below!!

Attachments

• 20180616_160455.jpg
    20180616_160455.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180702_214442.jpg
    20180702_214442.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180901_135429.jpg
    20180901_135429.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180824_143242.jpg
    20180824_143242.jpg