Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My Sister's Moo Moo

susi794

Staff member
Hi Everyone,
It's been a really difficult day today--my sister's sphynx, Moo Moo Too is horribly sick. When my sis came back from her Air National Guard thing on Wednesday, she called me and said Mooey was sick and she was rushing her to the vet. I jumped in my car and met her there--Moo Moo was barely able to walk, was dehydrated too. The vet did a blood work-up, found only slightly elevated white count, everything else seemed to be ok, so gave her a sub-Q injection of fluid, some vitamin B and minerals and the feline equivalent of Reglan--a stomach med to stop cramping, vomiting and diarreah. Mooey also had a subnormal temp. They said they thought it must be a virus. I thought her breathing looked labored, so I asked if they felt we could rule out FIP. They said they thought so, and they sent us home saying if she didn't get better, to bring her back today. She still hadn't eaten or drank anything, so we took her back to the vet this morning to stay there to get IV fluids and dextrose. They called my sis at 4:00 to come get her since no one would be there at night to monitor her--and told my sis they now are worried about FIP, since they have ruled out so many other things--but she said it was still a very real possibility that it could just be a really bad virus of another kind.
Well, we took Mooey home and have been crying ever since. The vet sent us home with some antibiotics and some prednisolone and said we can bring her back tomorrow if we feel she needs another IV--they left the catheter in her leg so they wouldn't have to insert one again tomorrow. I thought she was going to die within an hour of being home, but now she appears to have gotten quite a bit better--she's eaten some wet cat food and has used the litter box and walked halfway across the room to be on her mama's lap. Yesterday she couldn't even walk a yard without stopping three times to rest.

If it is FIP would she be rallying? I pray to God she just has something else! Please say a little prayer for her and for my sis.
Thanks for listening...
Susi

Brooke

Banned
I don't have any advice here either but I really, really hope it's a good sign that she's improving, eating a little bit and moving around some more today. If it were me, I would take that as a positive!

Big hugs and positive vibes for you, your sister and Moo Moo. Please keep us updated on her progress, and I'll keep her in my thoughts.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Did it just start suddenly on the Wednesday? Could she have eaten something bad for her? I have no idea but I really feel for you and your sister, how scary.

susi794

Staff member
Did it just start suddenly on the Wednesday? Could she have eaten something bad for her? I have no idea but I really feel for you and your sister, how scary.

My sis doesn't know--she thought Moo Moo was a little off on Sunday, but then thought nothing more about it--then she left on Monday was gone for two days, came home and Moo Moo was really sick. She's been beating herself up about it so badly I feel horrible for her. We haven't found anything Moo Moo could've gotten into, but that doesn't mean she still didn't. So I don't think it was really that sudden.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope it is not FIP.
Was she tested for teh Corona Virus?
Prayers that it is not FIP.
The vet still thinks Ty might have had FIP even though.
It sounds somuch like how Ty was before he got so bad.

susi794

Staff member
Did Ty start to get better and then got bad again?

The vet did bloodwork both days, but to my knowledge didn't run a corona virus titre--not a reliable measure of FIP anyway as almost all cats have been exposed to the corona virus. They've run about $700 worth of tests so far--and found out practically nothing. But have ruled out a lot of things....that's why the vet said they were beginning to suspect FIP. But according to my research, 60-70% of cats with FIP have the effusive kind (the wet kind) and that is very fast moving--but vet sees no evidence of fluid in abdomen or chest cavity, so that's a good sign, right? And the onset was too fast to be the noneffusive kind isn't it?
Oh, all this--it just makes me horrified!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
With Ty they found fluid but he was neg on all the blood tests for everything.
He got sick very fast.
I am a group that might be able to give you advice.
Let me know if you want to join it.
That is good that the vet does not see any fluid.
That is true most cats have the wet form.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Everyone,
It's been a really difficult day today--my sister's sphynx, Moo Moo Too is horribly sick. When my sis came back from her Air National Guard thing on Wednesday, she called me and said Mooey was sick and she was rushing her to the vet. I jumped in my car and met her there--Moo Moo was barely able to walk, was dehydrated too. The vet did a blood work-up, found only slightly elevated white count, everything else seemed to be ok, so gave her a sub-Q injection of fluid, some vitamin B and minerals and the feline equivalent of Reglan--a stomach med to stop cramping, vomiting and diarreah. Mooey also had a subnormal temp. They said they thought it must be a virus. I thought her breathing looked labored, so I asked if they felt we could rule out FIP. They said they thought so, and they sent us home saying if she didn't get better, to bring her back today. She still hadn't eaten or drank anything, so we took her back to the vet this morning to stay there to get IV fluids and dextrose. They called my sis at 4:00 to come get her since no one would be there at night to monitor her--and told my sis they now are worried about FIP, since they have ruled out so many other things--but she said it was still a very real possibility that it could just be a really bad virus of another kind.
Well, we took Mooey home and have been crying ever since. The vet sent us home with some antibiotics and some prednisolone and said we can bring her back tomorrow if we feel she needs another IV--they left the catheter in her leg so they wouldn't have to insert one again tomorrow. I thought she was going to die within an hour of being home, but now she appears to have gotten quite a bit better--she's eaten some wet cat food and has used the litter box and walked halfway across the room to be on her mama's lap. Yesterday she couldn't even walk a yard without stopping three times to rest.

If it is FIP would she be rallying? I pray to God she just has something else! Please say a little prayer for her and for my sis.
Thanks for listening...
Susi

I will keep your sister and Mooey in my prayers. Is Mooey a kitten?

susi794

Staff member
Moo Moo is so much better today. She still isn't out of the woods, but she slept on my sister's chest all night long last night and today she is eating and walking just a little bit. I spent several hours over there this afternoon and when I got back home, my sister called me and said that Moo Moo had just walked all the way into the kitchen where the other cats were being fed and joined her family for supper, then walked into the room where the big litter boxes are kept and used them, followed by gobbling up a few greenies treats....then back to the family room and climbed up on my sister's lap again. Yesterday she couldn't walk a yard without stopping three times to rest. All is not well yet, but it sure looks promising. Deb said to say thank you to all for your prayers and thoughts of kindness and love and I join her in that. Please keep the prayers coming--they are working!

Brooke

Banned
I'm so happy to hear the good news! Big hugs to Moo Moo - I hope she continues to improve. It's got to be a good sign that she has an appetite!!

I'm still going to keep little Mooey in my thoughts until we know for sure that she's back to 100%. Get well soon, little one.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Moo Moo is so much better today. She still isn't out of the woods, but she slept on my sister's chest all night long last night and today she is eating and walking just a little bit. I spent several hours over there this afternoon and when I got back home, my sister called me and said that Moo Moo had just walked all the way into the kitchen where the other cats were being fed and joined her family for supper, then walked into the room where the big litter boxes are kept and used them, followed by gobbling up a few greenies treats....then back to the family room and climbed up on my sister's lap again. Yesterday she couldn't walk a yard without stopping three times to rest. All is not well yet, but it sure looks promising. Deb said to say thank you to all for your prayers and thoughts of kindness and love and I join her in that. Please keep the prayers coming--they are working!

I'm so glad to hear that she is slowly improving. I hope she continues. Thanks for keeping us posted. Come on Moo Moo- fight through it!

Back