Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My skinny boy needs to gain weight

Anna W

Lairian
I confess mine get a can of Fancy Feast as a treat every once in a while. This is even though their normal food is raw and I go to great lengths to prepare it. I figure if I can eat potato chips or cookies, then why can't they have some Fancy Feast? So that's pretty much that.

I totally agree with you that if an older cat is losing weight, it's not nothing. The loss of lean muscle mass - sarcopenia - happens to cats just like to humans. What they need is more protein. Here's an article that talks about this:
Don't Let Your Senior Cat Become a Skinny Old Kitty

The next thing you need to consider is exactly what kind of protein. The answer is meat. Cats metabolize meat-based protein very well, but plant-based protein not well at all. It doesn't matter whether it's from grains or non-grains; the non-grains like peas and potatoes are not meat. The pet food industry seized on grain-free which sounds nice, but they're not replacing grains with meat; they are replacing with other stuff that's not any better and in some cases it has even more carbs - argh. Here is another article:
The Skinny on Senior Cats: Metabolism Explained

The main thing regardless is that they eat, so you have to find something that he likes and let him eat as much as he wants. All things being equal, I would opt for canned food because they contain a higher percentage of meat than any kibble. Also you mentioned vomiting, and there again canned foods are better because they help to rehydrate whereas kibble dehydrates.

By the way, I've compared cans of kitten and adult cat food and the kitten ones usually have a little more protein. Just because it's marketed for kittens doesn't mean you can't give it to an adult cat, especially a skinny one.

To make the canned food smell good for him, you might sprinkle a little bit of crushed kibble on top. Or what I have used in the past for this is crushed Temptations cat treats. Also parmesan cheese.

Final note - if a cat has kidney disease most vets think cats should get less protein. It's debatable, but if your cat has kidney disease then you need to get professional advice before going for a high protein diet.
Thank you for that. The articles are very informative. My vet is anti grain free. So I hope she is on board with the Nutrasource food. It is not grain free, just higher in protein which I agree he needs as a senior .

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Anna W Positive vibes sent - keep us updated
I hope you have as much success with it as I have with my 5

You can ask your vet if vita,in b12 shots would be beneficial for appetite
My moms senior cat was given it to increase appetite and it worked for her

Did you try the glop recipe L ask vet about nutrical supplement paste ? It's usually well received
Offered to lick off a finger

((Hugs )) n head smooches !

Ps -yesterday my vet suggested I my dog off Acana light and fit . She isn't on the grain free wagon Either . I tired it for his allergies but he did just as well on Nutrisource dog food grain inclusive -
going back to the old school no recalled grain inclusive . I feed what works .
Hopefully all works out for you too
Look forward to updates

Last edited:

Anna W

Lairian
Update on The Mummy

Well after Mummy dropped more weight, 1 pound over the course of a month leaving him a 8 pounds, the vet tested his blood again. They found that his liver values were up and put him on a course of antibiotics to treat a form of Hepatitis.

I'm lucky we caught it early. I had noticed his weight loss followed by a mystery rash. ( I have my theory's about the cause of the rash but I still don't know and It's gone now) I had taken him in for blood work twice in the months preceding this diagnosis.

I'll know tomorrow how the antibiotics are working after 3 weeks on them. I'm prepared for more time on them but I hope and pray his values look better if not normal.

He's still skinny though. He was down 4 oz, which could have been the difference of a bowel movement so it doesn't mean he's loosing more. He's definitley not loosing weight at the rate he was so that's good. But we need to put weight on him. He can't be on any dairy with the antibiotics so no glop for now. He wants to eat and does, but not as voracious of an appetitie as he once had. Oh, he's on Cerinia now too, an anti nueasea medication. It seems to help him a lot. (UGH, I'm not thrilled at all the pills for my baby)

I'm wondering how he got a liver infection. Could it be his Clopedigril? I was told it was safe but everything has me worried now. He has only been on it for 6 months. Has anyone had any experience with this medication? I was told that a senior cat with HCM could really be saved by a blood thinner and that there was minimal risk.

Has anyone dealt with Hepatitis?

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No I have not dealt with hepatitis.
I have had on of my cats with HCM be on a blood thinner. It really depends on what kind of HCM he has that denotes what meds they want to prescribe.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Continuing positive vibes!
Keep us updated often and big head smooches to Mummy

It is greatly appreciated when you get a chance to post about that form of hepatitis to help others - thank you in advance

Anna W

Lairian
UPDATE Ok so 3 months after Mummy was diagnosed with hepatitis, and 3 months of antibiotics, his liver values are all normal! Thank God. He’s also gained back over a pound putting him at a healthy 9 pounds 4 oz. He’s eating heartily again with no rash or throw up. I’m so glad this was a problem that we were able to get through. I honestly think he was dealing with this for a few years but it took that long to figure it out. This could be chronic but let’s just think positive and hope it’s not. He’s a spry senior and I’m so happy.

Anna W

Lairian
My 3. Mummy is the most bald boy in the front with Lily and Little Bob

Attachments

• 7D36A3F8-DABA-4256-A65E-CBCC9477D5B4.jpeg
    7D36A3F8-DABA-4256-A65E-CBCC9477D5B4.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 12
Back