Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

My skittish kitty- Artie

My Arthas (Artie) is a little over year when we first brought him home he of course was nervous. We've done everything we can to make him feel at home. But even today if someone moves to quick or there's a noise he doesn't like he runs... It kills me I don't really want to think about what made him this way. I know he went through alot as a kitten because of his ear. He has a little ear because from what the breeder told me the other kitten suckled on his ear. :(
I fell in love with him anyway and even my family. He has problem with ear infections but I hate how he is still skittish.. Does anyone have any suggestions how to help this? Or experienced it before? Because I'd LOVE for him to come out of his shell.

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
One great thing is to schedule quiet/warm bonding time consistently. I swear by the warm blanket out of the dryer trick. Getting him to get closer and closer and then eventually wrapped up in it on your lap while watching TV helps to build trust. BTW he is very good looking.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
So hard to schedule time for them and not us the human. He just needs to think of you as his happy quiet place. Means making him confront his fear and seeing humans are positive.

Jocy24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a scaredy cat named Archie. As far as I know nothing happened to him it’s just his temperament. Doorbell rings or people he doesn’t know come in...he heads for under the bed. He growls when he sees people outside and runs if they come to the porch. He likes to watch outside but never goes out himself. One day I was dancing around and waved my hands over my head and he took off to under the bed. I have to be careful on bath days to not chase him. He’ll run and then stiffen up and lay down. Your guy may just always be timid. But Archie also loves his Da mouse toy and boxes. We’ll play and he likes me to close him inside a box and then he jumps out. I run and he’ll chase. He’s not afraid of the vacuum either so he’s quirky.

Yeah Artie isn’t afraid of the vacuum either. He’s not a fan of bath time either. He will cuddle with me & we have lovey moments usually when he wakes me up. He can be very affectionate. I think he just maybe timid. Oh yeah he doesn’t like going outside either.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Archie is a very handsome cutie!

My boy Ross loves to cuddle and he feels at home here. But when he hears the doorbell ring, the vacuum, the blender, a noise outside ...he runs and hide. Hee came straight from the breeder to me and I know the breeder took good care of him. Toa, his brother, is afraid of nothing.
As long as Archie cuddles with you and walks around in house relaxed he's fine. You could plug in a felliway diffuser to see if that makes him more relaxed.