Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My sphynx doesn't like our newborn

jmmcdonough13

Lairian
My husband and I recently had a human baby (born New Year's Day) and so far our sphynx, Diego, has been having a very hard time with it.

At first he would get very frustrated when she cries, and swatted at her while my husband was holding her on her second day home. Diego had gotten more acclimated with the crying, but still shows some aggressive tendencies such as biting my husband's hand while he is holding the baby, making us concerned that he will attempt to bite the baby.

We have been trying to show Diego just as much attention as we did before the baby arrived; the only thing we have had to change is that we no longer allow him to sleep in our bed because he attempted to jump in the baby's bassinet one morning while the baby was sleeping.

It's very disappointing because Diego has been the most loving little guy for the past 2 plus years that we have had him. We had high hopes that he would be a great brother to our human baby.

Does anyone have any tips to help Diego become more comfortable with the situation? Thank you

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jmmcdonough13 Awhh , Comgrats on your baby!
I don't have children but many members have children amd babies - I am sure others will chime in with tips amd suggestions and their experiences

It's a new world for all
I would comtinue supervised imteraction amd wear Diego out wo with a Dabird pole toy !
Keep a cat toy or I used a dog firehose - nearby to redirect bit pe behavior
Praise n treat Diego for Positve imteractioms woth baby present
Would be some ideas while he settles to his new human

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations on your baby! I guess it is like having two babies with a Sphynx who needs to be watched all the time. I would just try to include your Sphynx in everything you are doing with the baby. Maybe your cat will realize that he isn't being replaced. Good luck.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Give your Sphynx Time it’s a new being in his home he has to have time to get use to it just as if you introduced a new animal into the house. Your Sphynx has to learn he can trust your new baby. I’m sure given time and understanding they’ll be cuddle buddies before long :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@jmmcdonough13 I Hope things are going well with your baby and your kitty. One thing I did with each baby was to put my cat, Dodi next to me as I was feeding and holding the baby. I also shared the blankets with the baby's scent with Dodi.

Last edited by a moderator: