Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My sphynx is eating her cat litter!!!!!

Lynae

Lairian
I bought new dust free cat litter and my kitten won't stop eating it!!!!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I bought new dust free cat litter and my kitten won't stop eating it!!!!!
Sorry to hear of this issue.
Before you begin to worry too much by reading the first half of this post, your kitty probably falls under the second part of this post, with that being said, when an adult cat begins to eat cat litter it is very possible it's due to an underlying health condition and the cat is trying to compensate for that underlying health condition.

Generally when an adult sphynx consumes cat litter it's quite possible it is due to anemia, a disease where there is a lack of red blood cells and hemoglobin in the cats body. One good indicator of anemia is check to see if your sphynx has pale or white or bluish looking gums. Healthy sphynx gums are pinkish in color. If you find the cat's gums to be white or bluish in color that is sign for concern and you should see your vet immediately.

Another possible cause is a vitamin deficiency. Natural clay is contained in many brands of cat litter and those litters are rich in vitamins and minerals which may lead your cat to consume the litter to compensate for the lack of these vital nutrients. Again, another reason to see your vet to ensure there are no underlying health issues and that your current food diet is correct.

So @Lynae, in your case, of course just my non- vet opinion, It's not uncommon for kittens to eat kitty litter just simply out of curiosity. most sphynx owners know this "curiosity" syndrome very well, sphynx will put just about anything in their mouth.

On a serious note, It is VERY important that if you are using "clumping" litter that you do not let your sphynx kitten eat it. It can form large clumps in his tummy causing serious illness. My opinion is, until he grows out of the "kitten" curiosity stage a bit, try the old litter you used or another he doesn't eat, once he has grown out of this curiosity stage you can always switch back to that litter.

Hope this helps.:)

Lynae

Lairian
Ok great thank you ! I looked at her gums and their fine I have a vet apt in a week so I'll ask the dr! And I heard that she needs vistamis do you know what kind I should get? And one more thing lol she cries all the time she won't let me sleep at all and I don't know what's wrong with her!!! She has food toys I have a heater bed for her she psycho I swear !!! What else can I do?

Sorry to hear of this issue.
Before you begin to worry too much by reading the first half of this post, your kitty probably falls under the second part of this post, with that being said, when an adult cat begins to eat cat litter it is very possible it's due to an underlying health condition and the cat is trying to compensate for that underlying health condition.

Generally when an adult sphynx consumes cat litter it's quite possible it is due to anemia, a disease where there is a lack of red blood cells and hemoglobin in the cats body. One good indicator of anemia is check to see if your sphynx has pale or white or bluish looking gums. Healthy sphynx gums are pinkish in color. If you find the cat's gums to be white or bluish in color that is sign for concern and you should see your vet immediately.

Another possible cause is a vitamin deficiency. Natural clay is contained in many brands of cat litter and those litters are rich in vitamins and minerals which may lead your cat to consume the litter to compensate for the lack of these vital nutrients. Again, another reason to see your vet to ensure there are no underlying health issues and that your current food diet is correct.

So @Lynae, in your case, of course just my non- vet opinion, It's not uncommon for kittens to eat kitty litter just simply out of curiosity. most sphynx owners know this "curiosity" syndrome very well, sphynx will put just about anything in their mouth.

On a serious note, It is VERY important that if you are using "clumping" litter that you do not let your sphynx kitten eat it. It can form large clumps in his tummy causing serious illness. My opinion is, until he grows out of the "kitten" curiosity stage a bit, try the old litter you used or another he doesn't eat, once he has grown out of this curiosity stage you can always switch back to that litter.

Hope this helps.:)