Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My sphynx is OBSESSED with attention?

Penelope2580

Lairian
So as we all know sphynx cats love attention, but I feel like Penelope is just OBSESSED. If I am sleeping at night she and she decides she wants attention, she will bite my nose to get me to wake up and pet her. She also HAS to sleep on my neck. Even if I pick her up and move her she just crawls right back. I feel like I'm raising a spoiled little princess. Do anybody else's sphynx do this?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Yes, my Izmae sleep across my neck. If I changed sides she would too.
But, as she got older, she started sleeping on my pillow or a pillow
as close to me as I can get it so I can touch her and she knows if I move.
I wake up to see that she's covered up :whistle: worse than a human baby.
But, she is my baby. When, they want something, they want it now.
Remember, she owns you and everything else :happy:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So as we all know sphynx cats love attention, but I feel like Penelope is just OBSESSED. If I am sleeping at night she and she decides she wants attention, she will bite my nose to get me to wake up and pet her. She also HAS to sleep on my neck. Even if I pick her up and move her she just crawls right back. I feel like I'm raising a spoiled little princess. Do anybody else's sphynx do this?
Welcome! Yes, they are surely the attention junkies! We had to keep them out of our room to be able to actually get good nights sleep! :wideyed:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How old is Penelope? She may, in time, adjust her behaviour... but maybe not. LOL.

Welcome.

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ohhh yes. The love bites... When I let Piper sleep with me she would wake me up at 4-5 a.m. biting my chin, nose, cheeks and neck while purring. It hurts so bad! I had to eventually give her and Booey their own room.

leonie

Lairian
Haha i think al sphynx owners can relate.. I have two sphynx cats and they are about 7 months (they are brothers) and they sleep with me every night.. one of them sleeps next to me with a little bit of a distance but his brother sleep tightly against me. Also they sometimes decide at 4 in the night that it is time doe cuddles and purring. They also like to walk all over my face in the middle of the night..
This is al the hard life of being a sphynx mother or father

76f92355aa359f4eca13dee71fb6e5c0.jpg

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
LOL! The life of a Sphynx owner ;)
My Gemma will sleep right up against my face. I sleep on my side so she's basically snuggled up between my shoulder and my face. If I need to roll over, she has to get up and re situate herself right along with me. Dexter will sleep under the covers behind my knees... but sometimes in the middle of the night he decides he wants Gemma's spot. Fights ensue literally on top of me a few times a night. Sometimes I have to kick them out. But I wouldn't trade them for the world.
sleep.jpg

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think I have the one Sphynx that doesn't cuddle straight through the night! LOL. On the other hand, he lets me sleep too.

Max starts out bed time under the blankets in the crook of my sideways bent knees. Although now that it's cooler and I have a goose down feather duvet, the bed starts out cold. Max is smart enough to wait until the humans have warmed it up before he snuggles at my legs.

At some point he decides he's had enough and retreats to his heated cave bed that rests on my night stand. There he sleeps until morning. Yes, he gets up and plays solo downstairs, but he's quiet. He used to try bringing toys to bed but we didn't react, so he stopped that. He knows sleep time is SLEEP.

AlexaEels

Lairian
We have only had our boys 8 days, but they are attention junkies. Although after a few nights the learned when it was our sleep time, we slept! Lol. They sleep through the night with us now Seymour with his daddy and Baldwin with me and our bulldog Zoey bug. During the day they are stuck to me and I seem to get less done in the house with them here. I have to let them have cuddle and play time with me :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have only had our boys 8 days, but they are attention junkies. Although after a few nights the learned when it was our sleep time, we slept! Lol. They sleep through the night with us now Seymour with his daddy and Baldwin with me and our bulldog Zoey bug. During the day they are stuck to me and I seem to get less done in the house with them here. I have to let them have cuddle and play time with me :)

As mentioned by @Zab in another thread, everything takes twice as long to do when there's a sphynx or two in the house.

AMEDooley

Lairian
I just picked up Anubis last night and he wouldn't leave my lap for almost the whole night. Made computer flying a bit difficult! And he was the same this morning. But from what I read, that's what sphynxs do. I'm okay with that. I wanted the best parts of a dog, with the best parts of a cat and this breed is the perfect combonation for me. He slept curled up in my gut all night long. Loved it!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Toothless will sleep behind my knees through the night and will even get up and put herself back behind them if I switch sides, but when she thinks its time to get up she moves up to my neck and starts biting my nose and cheeks.

Elfie sleeps on my ribs (I sleep on my side) but she leaves after about an hour to sleep on the pillows and as soon as the first rays of sun hit the windows she starts yelling at me that its breakfast time!!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like a really normal sphynx. I feel weird not having a cat smashed next to me in bed or at least on on my lap on the couch. 15 years of naked love and don't plan on stopping soon

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Perfectly normal for a sphynx. Whenever I'm home my boys are on me:). And when I have a friend visiting they are on the friend. When I'm not home, they sit in front of the window and if somebody walks by they give headkisses against the window to get attention. Only when there is food they leave people alone:)

Lady Godiva

Lairian

This seems to be a recurring theme with everyone lol. Yes, my Lady Godiva like to sleep right against me, but usually on the pillow, and if I turn over she will come on the other side. She usually does not bite me, but will lick too much sometimes, I just take my sheet and cover my face heehee. I love having her, she is the best cat ever!

Attachments

• 2015-09-05 15.12.12.jpg
    2015-09-05 15.12.12.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 60

Lady Godiva

Lairian
Toothless will sleep behind my knees through the night and will even get up and put herself back behind them if I switch sides, but when she thinks its time to get up she moves up to my neck and starts biting my nose and cheeks.

Elfie sleeps on my ribs (I sleep on my side) but she leaves after about an hour to sleep on the pillows and as soon as the first rays of sun hit the windows she starts yelling at me that its breakfast time!!

Lol Toothless...love that name. My cat yells at me too, when i'm showering, it's like "get out of there...there's water in there!!!" LOL

lolvo

Lairian
It helps to think of sphynx cats like the little Navi fairy from the Zelda series ("Hey! Listen!"). They're always going to hover around you, always going to be demanding your attention, and they always have something to say.

That being said, it will make your life easier if you train them not to bite you when you're asleep. The trick is not to give them any stimulus (no positive or negative reinforcement - don't pick them up, yell at them, or do more than is strictly necessary to stop them biting you) when they do something bad, and to give them a rewarding stimulus (petting, snuggling them up on your pillow, giving them love-blinks) when they do something you want them to keep doing. If even that doesn't help, you may have to keep her out of your room when you sleep. It's going to be hell for about a week (scratching, running about, tiny set of lock picks, and very convincing impressions of dying from sheer loneliness), but as long as you don't reinforce the behavior by giving them what they want, they will adjust. After a few weeks/months, you can try letting them back in at night, and see if they behave.

trulylaine

Lairian
Rascal loves being hugged and held during the night like a teddy bear, if I roll over he comes with me. He sleeps though the night and wakes up only at 7 to eat and then its right back to bed for him till we have to be up at 9. He is so so needy but I love that so he can be as spoiled as he wants to be

MaoSphynx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine too.If I'm reading,he doesn't care about space likes to sit in front of the phone,playing with the charger and I have to move him away from it.He wakes me up every day for school by licking my ear or the area around it,stepping on my hair and sometimes my face

Lady Godiva

Lairian

My baby loves to sleep with me, she does not bite me though, I would tell her NO! in a firm voice. If I turn over, she has to go on the side of my face. I remember waking up one day and her lips were on my lips LOL. They are sooo loving :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Lady Godiva -- they are soooo loving! When I nap on the couch Min presses her face or cheek into mine. This morning she pressed her back into my neck, sharing my pillow with her head. I had the fire on and it was just sooooo sweet to gaze at the back of her head, her ears glowing from the fire in front of us. Such lovers, they are!

Xtrosweet

Lairian

Back